Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 16th, 2008, 03:10 AM

How do you house train an older puppy?

I just got my puppy today, but I'm hoping I can get a little help early. He is already 4 months old, and I thought that most puppies were housetrained by this time, but the people we got him from clearly didn't have the time or patience, so here I am! Do all the same rules apply when trying to house train an older puppy? I've been trying to take him outside every few hours and he didn't go forever, so it seemed, but then, all of a sudden, he peed and pooped in the house! I'm not quite sure what to do and was hoping I could get some early advice before I get frustrated with him!
Thanks!
Old November 16th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a crate and is he crate-trained at all? This is your best tool for house-training and if you don't have one, I highly recommend starting with that. Here is some good info on the process, which applies to pups of all ages: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/housesoiling

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 16th, 2008, 10:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, all the same rules apply.

Many dogs aren't reliably housetrained until 8 months or longer, so it isn't too unusual to find a 4-month-old pup that isn't housebroken yet. It'll be a little harder if the first owners never worked with him at all, but dogs of any age can be trained to eliminate outside.

The keys are patience and consistency. If you catch him in the act, offer a correction (just a throaty, 'ahn-ahn' noise from you), pick him up, and take him outside to finish. When he does something outside, praise the dickens out of him in a calm, happy voice. If he messes in the house and you don't catch him in the act, clean it up without disciplining him--he won't know what he's being punished for if you don't catch him in the act.

Try to pay attention to what he's doing right before he eliminates--you'll find that you can pick up cues that way and get him outside before he makes a mistake in the house. When he eliminates outside, remember to praise him up.

And remember that when pups get excited (play, someone coming home, etc) they often need to go outside. So take him out first thing in the morning, after he eats, and after playing or excitement, to give him the opportunity to eliminate in the proper place.

As a 4-month old, he's likely going to have to pee at least once every 5 hours, so keep that in mind as well.

Good luck with your new puppy. Are you going to share some pics of him with us?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 16th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I second all of the above

Try to patient - it will get better!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old November 16th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for all the great advice!! It will help for sure! But I have another question...my boyfriend and I have been taking Jackson outside every few hours today and he went outside this morning at 930 (and I praised him like crazy!!) but he hasn't gone since. He has been fed twice today, but he hasn't gone in the house, or outside. Is he holding it in? When he went in the house yesterday, I didn't punish him, or get mad at all, so why isn't he going? I havent had a puppy since I was 9, so I feel really new at all this!!
Old November 16th, 2008, 08:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_e_123 View Post
Thanks for all the great advice!! It will help for sure! But I have another question...my boyfriend and I have been taking Jackson outside every few hours today and he went outside this morning at 930 (and I praised him like crazy!!) but he hasn't gone since. He has been fed twice today, but he hasn't gone in the house, or outside. Is he holding it in? When he went in the house yesterday, I didn't punish him, or get mad at all, so why isn't he going? I havent had a puppy since I was 9, so I feel really new at all this!!
He was probably just holding it. I suspect he went right after you posted, because puppies have this sense of timing that is just incredible!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."