Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old June 6th, 2005, 07:45 AM
banned user

Summer Salads

I thought a would post a couple family favorites and feel free to post your favorite summer salads! We are going to a lot of picnics this year, already been to a ton and hosted a few and these salads were hot!
I think this potato salad is pennsylvania dutchish... not sure though.
My mom makes this with 10lbs of potatos and it ALL goes at a picnic.

Very simple
5lbs of potatoes
1 dozen eggs
1lb of bacon
REAL Mayo

Boil potatoes until done, not over done though cause they dry out... peel with a knife when cooled enough (very easy when they're already cooked). Cut into cubes
Cook eggs hard boiled, shell and chop
Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces, then cook until crispy
After everything is cooled completely and cut up, add enough mayo to coat everything
If you're taking this to a party, don't add the bacon until you're ready to go... this way it will stay nice and crispy until served.

The other is pasta salad... I've seen so many variations but this one is sooo good!

1 box (1lb?) spiral pasta
1 deli ham slice, about an inch thick, about a pound, cubed
2 deli salami slices, about an inch thick each, about a pound total, cubed
sharp cheddar cheese, about a half pound, cubed
1 cucumber peeled, thinly sliced, then cut into quarters
cherry tomatos halfed
3 small bottles of red wine vinegarette... I use seven seas, 16oz each

After the pasta is cooked, cooled and rinsed, mix everything together. I put in 2 bottles of the dressing at first, let it soak it up and then add the 3rd if needed. You can play around with what you put in it... my brother adds pepperoni instead of the salami.

Sadie! I'd like your cucumber salad recipe if you don't mind!

Last edited by Sneaky2006; June 6th, 2005 at 11:41 PM.
Old June 6th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Those sound yummy....mmmmmmmmmmm

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old June 6th, 2005, 11:42 PM
banned user

They really are!!
Do you have any recipes Happy? Anything summery??
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:28 AM
banned user

Yes'm!

Only I will have to make it first, and take note of my measurements, in order to post it. I've never measured any of it. I just sort of .....well, you know. A dash of this, *taste*, no it needs a little more.....
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:29 AM
banned user

Gotcha!!!
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
Yes'm!

Only I will have to make it first, and take note of my measurements, in order to post it. I've never measured any of it. I just sort of .....well, you know. A dash of this, *taste*, no it needs a little more.....
That's my problem too!
I have many great recipes, but I measure NOTHING ! so it's really hard to pass them on . (I don't measure alcohol either when I play bartender , hmmmmm maybe that's why everyone passes out before dinner time )
I do a great suvlaki (sp) and Tzezeeki (sp)
Also I make a great potatoe salad ( my dad's secret recipe) I'll ask him about measurements, and post.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old June 8th, 2005, 06:07 PM
banned user

Quote:
(I don't measure alcohol either when I play bartender , hmmmmm maybe that's why everyone passes out before dinner time )
LMAO jus like me
My step dad hat when I make him Rum and Cokes ... never seems to have more than one with me pouring!

*warning, peanuts in this recipe*
Ingredients

1/4 cup Kraft Calorie-Wise Catalina Dressing
4 cups cut-up assorted fresh vegetables, such as bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, broccoli florets, celery
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/4 cup Kraft Light Smooth Peanut Butter
2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
6 cups torn salad greens

Heat dressing in large non-stick fry pan on medium-high heat. Add vegetables; stir-fry 3 min. Add chicken; stir-fry an additional 5 min. or until chicken is cooked through.

Add peanut butter and soy sauce; stir-fry 2 min. or until vegetables are crisp-tender and mixture is heated through.

Serve over salad greens.

Variation - Peanut Chicken Wraps:
Omit salad greens. Cook chicken mixture as directed; spoon evenly down centres of 4 (10-inch) warmed flour tortillas. Roll up and serve.

The variation was discovered after realizing someone ate all the lettuce in the house lol

Last edited by Safyre; June 8th, 2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old June 8th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safyre
LMAO jus like me
My step dad hat when I make him Rum and Cokes ... never seems to have more than one with me pouring!
LOL, I love being bartender, (my dad used to let me make his Rum and coke with a slice of lime, when I was little, he used to say "don't skimp on the Rum") That's where I learned I guess .
My SIL always insists on pouring her own (says she doesn't want to pass out in her dinner plate ). Wimps I say

Old June 8th, 2005, 06:29 PM
banned user

My step dad wouldn't tell me anything about how much to put... I just put what I thought was appropriate ... I had no bloody idea what was appropriate! So I made it 'look nice" LOL! I wasn't happy till the coke looked like rum.
Now my friends are used to it, and take the bottles out of my hands. I agree, complete wimps!
Old June 8th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

WOW so amazing I was going to start a thread like this..simply because it's been to hot to eat big meals.

I just made a really wonderful olive oil vinegrette cold pasta salad and man it was the first meal I enjoyed in three days because of the heat.

Old June 8th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I noticed kraft has a few new pasta salads now, has anyone tried them?

Old June 8th, 2005, 08:36 PM
banned user

I'm not big on pasta salads... pasta has to be hot me to eat it.
kraftcanada.com is my fave website for recipes though... they havea whole summer area, grilling tips, salads, cool summer desserts. The one I posted earlier was from Kraft Canada... thats where most my meals come from.
Old June 9th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Senior Contributor

My easiest, favorite summer salad - Green Pea Salad!

I quick thaw a 32oz package of frozen peas by pouring the peas into a colander and running cold water over them til thawed. Than drain off excess moisture and add chopped celery and onion. Water chestnuts are good too. Sometimes I use diced cheese. Dress with mayonnaise and season with your favorite - I like to add mustard. After all mixed, stir in chopped hard-boiled eggs. Nothing is easier and requires no precooking other than the hard-boiled eggs.
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:31 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Here's a salad that I enjoy - sounds gross to most people, but I love it and it is as easy as 1,2,3! I've never really mad it for a crowd, but my mom's friend brought this to our house once and I loved it. I'm a big fan of pineapple!

Pasta shells, cooked and drained
Miracle Whip
Pineapple chunks, drained
A little salt and pepper(if desired)

Mix the Miracle whip with the pasta while still warm and add pineapple....Voila! It's good as dinner for one!
Old July 13th, 2005, 04:10 PM
banned user

Quote:
5lbs of potatoes
1 dozen eggs
1lb of bacon
REAL Mayo
Is there ANY chance that this salad won't be delicious?! Seriously Sneaky!

"the measurement of good food is called calories" -unknown source
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

That last one has my arteries screaming...

Here's another:

Finely sliced cabbage (not Savoy)
Abundant red pepper in strips
Apple slices
Julienned carrots (optional)
Celery (optional)
Dressing made with good mayo, thinned with pickle juice and milk
Salt and pepper
Old July 13th, 2005, 11:25 PM

k.. I know I'm obsessive about the food poisoning thing today... But please, please be careful about mayo. It needs to be refridgerated all the time. Please be careful if you have guests.

I only bring it up because I have a huge family and they all eat tons of potato salad at family reunion things, and everybody gets sick afterward, except my brother and I-- the only two who don't touch tater salad... And they always wonder what it was that made them so sick. I don't think I have been to a party with potato salad where people have not had food poisoning.
Old July 14th, 2005, 10:57 PM
banned user

Thats some bad luck there Prin.
I can say at all my family gatherings there are salads made with mayo, and no food poisioning yet!!
Maybe you can get a dish that will keep the salad cool so you don't have to worry about it in the future.
You can even set up your own crude "cooler" with two bowls, one larger than the other, with a water/ice/salt mix in the bigger one, the potatoe salad sits in the smaller bowl, sitting in the big cold bowl.
Make sense? If not, I balme sleep deprivation
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Prin, I also am obsessive about avoiding food poisoning. Mayo of course has always been a big culprit. I do suggest to people that if they must, to make the salad - and carry an unopened jar of mayo with them for mixing at the very last moment - and then eat it fast. I am not a fan of buffets and am very careful say at places such as Whole Foods where they have the self-serve take-out stations. I have watched as the staff arrive with new trays of various food items and just mix it in with the old - so of course - surprise. My husband once got ill from grilled vegetables this way. Many people don't realize the bacteria that can grow on vegetables, rice etc. Heck my husband thinks that if you leave raw chicken on the counter that the salmonella left on the counter will die on its own. In college I boarded at a place that you could count on getting food poisoning weekly. Personally I prefer olive oil and red or balsamic vinegar. Even getting a take-out salad with a little container of a mayo based salad can do you in - my husband found this out recently. I think maybe he finally learned something. Then we have Chicken a la King at a pot luck supper which one is trying to avoid only to find that the person who made it is behind you in the line.
Old July 15th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is a German Pototo Salad that has been taught to me by my Mom.When we have Pot Luck BBQ's,I'm always told to make it.I will actually be making it tonight when I get home from work.A friend and my Hubby(turning 40 on Tues).We are having a surprise BD Party tomorrow.Hubby thinks it's only for her..So I am sure he will be surprised.

Here goes.

Potates(I usually use about 10-12 fair sized ones)
Celery(about 3 stalks)
Eggs(about 4)
Bicks Pickles
Sweet banana pepers(in the jar,Mild)
Sweet Onion
Mayo

I am lazy with the Patatoes.I have them peeled and cut before boiling.

When Potatoes are done,let cool then cut to bite size.

Cut up celery about an inch
With the pickles,cut in half lengthwise,then cut across.
Eggs,boil till hard,dice them up.
With the onion,same thing.Use as much as you want.
With the Sweet Banana Pepers,cut them up lengthwise also.

Place everything in a large bowl.Mix in the Mayo.Add salt and peper to taste.

And enjoy.....

This salad is best to do the night before.The flavours mix in better.....

Just remember,when making salads with Mayo,do not take it out of the fride till it's time to eat.That way you have no worries about getting food poisoning..... I have not posioned anyone yet...And I have been making this salad for years.....
Old July 15th, 2005, 06:08 PM

A simple tomato salad.

Sliced tomatos
Sliced cucumbers
Sliced onions
Olive oil
Crumbled feta cheese
A little oregano on top