Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Question Cat litter box question re: Innova EVO please :)

Hi All,
To the point, if an unpleasant one... I switch my cat Luna to Innova EVO kibble three weeks ago, and her litter box is RANK. The smell is 10x worse than it ever was on Nutro's Natural Choice dry foods... I scoop every day and its terrible, and she seems to be going more often.
Anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? I know EVO is a great food but I don't know if we can live with this....
ALL help appreciated!

Thanks, Scary

PS - She's been eating nothing else except a few blades of cat grass once every day or two, so its not a combining-foods issue.
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Yup..I notice their stool is stinkier on the Evo. Luckly i have my boxes in the basement and so the rest of the house doesnt get the smell.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old April 9th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Scary i had a problem trying to switch Roland over to the EVO from the Neutro natural choice too. terribly smelly and gave him very loose poops with even 8 bits of EVO in his bowl of Neutro. i am trying the Solid Gold now cause he just couldnt deal with the EVO. if you want something just as high in protein try the Orijen. i tried Roland on that too but he prefered his Neutro so i didnt push it (i should have tried for longer) but even giving him a bowl to try didnt do anything bad to his stomach. The Solid Gold has been a bit of a struggle as well but he seems to be adjusting at last.
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Thanks Roland'sMom, Luna is having the same issues - she eats it no problem (EVO) but has the same looser and super-stinky stools. It must bother her too.... I may try Orijen or Felidae next, thanks. Out of curiosity, why did you switch off of the Nutro NC?

I just want a high quality good-for-her food... her teeth, coat, etc were great on Nutro (just a bit of rear end dandruff and she needs to lose 1-2 pounds.)

Sadly ScottB - Luna's litter box for my small apartment can only be in my front closet, so readily 'smellable' for all that enter.

Any other thoughts anyone? ~Scary
Old April 9th, 2007, 02:57 PM

I switched him off the Neutro once i had been on here for a bit and saw that its not the best food out there. Roland also did very well on it, but i have noticed his coat is thicker and shinier on the Solid Gold without a doubt. ( i know the SG is not the best of the best up there with EVO and he has struggled to get used to it but its got a lot less grain and crap in it) the petfood store lady here said to give the Califonia Natural a try (chicken and Rice.) its a very basic formula but apparently good. no junk. i might do that if he goes back to stinky loose poop on the SG. (he seems to be getting better over the last day or so).
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow i was gonna start a thread on this exact thing,i switched roxys dry food to Innova Evo,and her poops were super smelly and looser and she also has pretty much stopped eating her solid gold wet food,which she used to love,i am now putting her back on the Solid Gold dry and wet,and sticking w/ that....
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:03 PM

Even with switching gradually the poops are still loose and smelly? That's no fun... But not all foods work with every dog or cat, so you just have to find one that does.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:05 PM

I wonder if its just too strong for the little ones? Scary how old is your cat? i know Roxys still a kitten right? and Roland was about 6.5 months when i tried. was Roxy good on the SG dry Heidiho? Roland has struggled but his poop is fine for the first time in a while today.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Prin! Roland has super stinky loose poop with 8 pieces of EVo kibble in his whole bowl of Neutro!
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:08 PM

lol I know Roland was a disaster, but I was wondering about the others.

It just doesn't surprise me too much though... With dogs, they either seem to do really well or really poorly on Evo.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:12 PM

hey! you cant say that so loudly! he will get a complex!! i had to block his ears!!! lol.
he still is a bit of a disaster (i whisper very quietly) but i was just wondering about the EVO maybe being too much for a lot of the younger cats.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:14 PM

lol Roland!

I wonder too... Maybe their bellies just aren't developed enough to digest something that rich.
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I switched my cats to EVO dry a while ago (they get some Innova/Wellness and Blue Buffalo canned). I noticed the increase in smell, too. Cuz the boxes are downstairs it wasn't too much of an issue but I'm thinking I might look around and switch them.

Also, because one of my cats will only eat cuts/gravy canned I have tried to track down brands like Fromm that are not made by Menu. The Canadian distributor of Fromm emailed me today and said that they are not currently able to import them as they have just submitted the labels for approval in Canada. They aren't expecting any news until mid summer. Anyone else have any ideas of a cuts/gravy style I can search out?

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Roxy was perfect on all Solid Gold.Even when i started her on it from the crap food there was never a time when her poops were runny or smelly ,but once i started the switch to Innova Evo,she lost appetite for wet food,and man her poops are horrible, i am sticking w/ Solid Gold for all wet and dry,her fur is beyond soft and her just everything is better when she is on SG.I only tried Innova because i want her to have the best,but i think she is not happy either with it.Solid Gold gets my vote ....
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Dracko, is it just a supplement? I'm wondering because some of Merrick's dog foods are cuts and gravy style, but their cat foods don't seem to be. http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/
Old April 9th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-cd-g.php

Prin, those were the ones I was referring to. I think Ginkgo would really like them.

And, you know how people say to just put a certain food down for an animal and they'll eventually eat it? Well, since the recall I haven't fed any of the Nutro's cuts/gravy to her. She has refused to eat the loaf style foods the other cats eat. When I walk near her food area she grabs my leg, meow, etc. She WANTS her cuts and gravy. I've been able to feed her some raw meats as Dracko eat Urban Carnivore. She will eat it and seems to like it but it is not ideal given my travel schedule and such. Plus, I know she is wondering why I won't feed her what she wants.

Old April 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Dracko i have no idea, Roland is only getting dry for now. why dont you try make your own kind of stew? just like people stew i guess. maybe get some beef cubes, cook them with broth . not sure what you would thicken it with tough, maybe some ground rice???and see if she will eat that till you can find what you are looking for.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont know who they are,but that is so not true that eventually they will eat it,or at least my kitten wont..she will not touch it,i can get her to eat wet food SOMETIMES when i hand feed it to her,but i cant always do that,,
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:20 PM

It's too bad that you can't get fromm... But does anybody know if canned dog food is really terrible for cats? It might be too high/low in some minerals and maybe the taurine might not be right either... I'd have to call the company and ask, I guess...

I'm wondering because of the Merrick ones. The cat foods are all the mooshy type, but some of the dog foods are cuts and gravy:
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/...p?c=15&s=21677
http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/...p?c=15&s=20292
(among others)
Might be worth investigating if there are no other available options.
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Live well, laugh often

Hmm, I've fed some Merricks stuff in the past and it is much more the "cuts and gravy" style than the regular stuff. Have you actually tried any of those?
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Me? Or Dracko?

I have, but only the poultry free ones. Well, not me- my dogs.
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:30 PM

Red face Multipe replies! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandsMom View Post
I wonder if its just too strong for the little ones? Scary how old is your cat? i know Roxys still a kitten right? and Roland was about 6.5 months when i tried. was Roxy good on the SG dry Heidiho? Roland has struggled but his poop is fine for the first time in a while today.
Wow, thanks to everyone for all the posts and thoughts!

To answer RM and Prin about Luna/EVO: she is five years old (last week actually), so not a kitten anymore... she ate the Nutro NC until last month, and I switched her over one week's time... three weeks ago now. I switched her for better quality and to see if she'll lose a little flab. She likes and eats the EVO alright, but her stools are super-smelly... the looseness is inconsistant, and she seems to go more often... We'll finish the bag and try something else.

TeriM, Dracko, Prin regarding wet food: My Luna like/ate Nutro's cuts/gravy canned food once a week as a treat only (until the recall - cans are supposedly still safe vs. pouches but I'm not buying it - even though Luna's test came back clear after eating them all winter.)... tried two Merrick cans last week but its not the same for her, she picked but didn't really eat (they're kind of loafish with some chunks, not the same)... we're open to any non-MenuFoods (obviously) other Nutro-like suggestions too!
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Try the Performatrin Ultra Chicken Stew canned, it's from Pet Valu. My cats would only eat the cuts/gravy and I had a hard time finding a good quality brand and the Performatrin is chunky, not quite gravy but very loose, and they seem to like it more than the cheap cuts/gravy that I used to buy for them.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:58 PM
-

If you're only supplementing with the canned cuts & gravy what if you cut up little bits of meat and made your own gravy?
Old April 10th, 2007, 12:40 AM

Fromm makes cuts and gravy foods, but as Dracko posted, they might be hard to find.
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:36 AM

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your continued help, for me and Luna, and for us all! Its SOOOOOOO nice to have found this place and you all to offer such valuable thoughts and information.

Prin - Out of curiosity, why poultry-free? Is that a dog-specific choice or otherwise? I also found Fromm foods sold at a few places near me (luckily it seems) so will try those too. The Nutro cans were real cubes of meat in a sauce, which is what my Luna seeks.

Stacer - I'll check out a can of that too, thanks!

Rainbow - I know you mean well, and that's a great suggestion.... but I don't even cook for myself! No really - I'm one of those women that woke up in her mid-thirties and realized I paid no attention to Mom's attempted cooking lessons, so I eat out, frozen or Momma-made...

On that, I do give Luna a 'taste' (treat size) of chicken when I have some - that's ok, right? Its never been part of her diet, could I occasionally give her more or do you think that would scramble her digestion of the kibble, etc.?
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM

I recently began mixing in some Evo w/ my cats food too and have noticed the same thing: stinky, mushy poops from at least one of my cats. She is 11, so not even close to being a kitten. She's even started missing the box, so hopefully that is just temporary once they finish the few morsels that remain mixed into their Felidae kibble! I'll have to try one of the other suggested high protein foods next.
Old April 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacer View Post
Try the Performatrin Ultra Chicken Stew canned, it's from Pet Valu. My cats would only eat the cuts/gravy and I had a hard time finding a good quality brand and the Performatrin is chunky, not quite gravy but very loose, and they seem to like it more than the cheap cuts/gravy that I used to buy for them.

Looked on their site. Can only get Performatrin in ON and MB. Not SK where I live.

Old April 10th, 2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Prin - Out of curiosity, why poultry-free? Is that a dog-specific choice or otherwise? I also found Fromm foods sold at a few places near me (luckily it seems) so will try those too.
Oh, just because one of my dogs is intolerant to poultry. No biggie. Nothing wrong with poultry at all. Well, "poultry" on an ingredient list is bad, but specifically named birds are ok (chicken, turkey, duck, etc etc).
Old April 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

3days no Evo and wow her poops are solid,not smelly,and she is loving her Solid Gold dry food,i will never change again,but i do have a question,well dont want to hi jack,will start new thread.