Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 11th, 2009, 05:11 PM

urgent cat problem - very strange coincidences

Hi guys, I need some help with my 7 month old kitty, but here is some background on what's been going on in the cat's environment. The problem began 1 week ago. I live in an apartment with my GF and our dog and cat. The dog became ill with diarrhea that had mucous in it and was very bloody, and he was acting very upset and ill. I rushed him to the vet immediately after I took him out that morning and had witnessed that. After a day at the vet he came home on pill meds and was given shots. He improved 110% by the next day, and was back to full health in 1-2 days. We took him back 5 days later for a 2nd fecal exam to rule out parasites. No signs of parasites again so vet said diagnosis was colitis. Now 3 days past that, I woke up and saw the cat run by and noticed wet blood on his anus. I stayed home and watched him all day and supervised him in the litter box. I can't tell if he's straining, his stool isn't diarrhea, it's just very soft, and I saw maybe a tiny hint of a speck of red/pink in it. I check him after everytime in the litter box and I have not seen any amount of blood since then, but he seems a little out of it, still plays and acts normal, just sleeping more than usual. OK and the last part that has me scratching my head is I myself had bright red bloody/runny stool today and I've never experienced that before.... what is going on!?!?
it all just seems too much to me to all be coincidences? I will take the cat to the vet on monday, but I wanted opinions if any. I'm afraid if there's something going around that can spread between my pets and I... it might not make me very sick, but that it could be very serious for the cat and he's just not showing anything externally? I'm stressing to the max, this is my first cat.
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Here's a couple of sites for you to check out. I would still make an appt with the vet for your piece of mind but don't stress. If you are experiencing the same symptoms then I would be getting in to see your doctor. Chances are they are not related but be on the safe side. Good luck and let us know the results.

http://cats.lovetoknow.com/Symptoms_..._Stool_in_Cats

http://www.feednfarm.com/CatBloodyStools.html