Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 11th, 2004, 02:33 AM

Question Adopted two "pound" cats

Yesterday evening I brought home two "pound" cats from my local shelter. One cat (Thadius) REALLY connected w/ me at the shelter. The other (Dirk) just stole my heart because I sensed he had "something" (I don't know what, he was not very freindly with me at the pound, I just knew I had to take him home) Dirk is 12 years old and his owner died so his family dropped him at the pound (!) Thadius is about a year old and is long haired (blue-grey) was found as a stray and surrendered willingly to animal control. My vet told me to put them both in a bathroom (together) for a week before letting them explore the home. They hate each other. Thadius is very jealous of Dirk. Dirk is being very loving and tender and Thadius is pissed off and aloof (just the oposite of my pound experience) I wanted to hold them and carry them throughout the house but Thadius would not let me hold him, so I took Dirk, when I returned Dirk to the bathroom and tried to get Thadius to take him for a tour, he jumped from my arms and attacked Dirk, they got into a serious cat fight (my boyfreind had to break them up and has a knarly bite on his thumb) What should I do? they are miserable in that bathroom and they are NOT getting along. My Vet seemed rushed (and like he was not really listening to me)when he told me to keep them together. Should I seperate them? I have no other cats (but I have two very freindly cat loving dogs).
Old March 11th, 2004, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Shannongaia
I am not a vet or rescuer just an observer lingering around looking for a dog to adopt, saw your post and couldn't help myself I had to reply..........

I have 8 cats and have learned alot about their behavoir and am still learning thanks to this site........

I may be wrong but I found it strange for a vet to tell you to put both cats in the bathroom together, In my experience I have always let my new arrivals have roam of the whole house to check out their new pad. And when I was not home I would put new arrival in bathroom or other room with litter and food for it's own safety and other cats until I was sure that they could socialize together.
Your older cat sounds like it will adjust just fine to it's new surroundings, the younger one seems to be a little territorial and perhaps agressive, but wait, this world is all new to them and it will take time to settle in , and things could change. If the young one is the aggressor and you see it about to happen that is when I would pick it up and put Him/Her in the bathroom lights off to calm down.

I have found that some cats just need time to get to know each other, as they are both new to each other perhaps little guy feels intimidated and scared maybe after being in your home for a period of time he/she will become more relaxed and at ease......

As I said before I am no expert so perhaps someone with more experience will have better suggestions

My 2 cents
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:07 AM
banned user

Oh boy.....putting 2 strange cats into a small space is a recipe for disaster!!!!!!! Take them out of there NOW!
Let them get to know each other slowly. Being one is a senior. They might take kindly to the youngin being energetic.

You have your hands full and I wish you the best of luck!
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with amaruq!! Get them out of the bathroom now!!! I've had many cats over the years too, and have just let them roam the house, exploring at will. Cats are curious creatures - they need to do that. Just make sure they each have a safe haven to go to, a cat post or kitty condo so Dirk can get away from Thadius or vice versa. They have been through A LOT, especially Dirk, so give them time to adjust to the house, to you, to each other, etc.

Bless you for adopting 2 cats, especially an older one!!! and good luck!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree 100%with Igette,putting two cats not used to each other in the bathroom? Is he nuts?
As for carrying cats,I have 3 cats,most of the time loving and sweet..but with all my experience with cats,none like to be carried around,unless at the vet
Just because he does not like to be carried does not make him a bad cat.
My Vinnie,not so little anymore at 15lb ever now and then likes to hang on my shoulder,like he did as a kitten,but dusting the house with a 15lb cat on your shoulder gets a little rough
Serious now,I would introduce the two cats to each other slowly and seperate them when you are not around,they might never like each other,but they could also become best of buddies.
Don't forget,they came from a shelter,probably stressful to them and you need to give them security,patience and love.
I don't know about this"thing"of putting cats in the bathroom,it seems to be a trend,which to me is an absolute no-no.
Cats generally do not like to be confined(any more than we do)be it in someones arms or in a bathroom...I guess the same goes for dogs.
So,I would suggest,let the cats sniff out and get used to their new home and each other....
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

BTW, I hope your boyfriend went to the doctor and had that bite looked at. Cat bites can be very serious and get infected easily.
Old March 11th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG!!! Your vet obviously knows NOTHING about cats. You NEVER EVER put two strange cats together like that, unless they are kittens.

You must start all over to introduce them. It can take lot of time.

These are adult cats, who have lost their homes and are frightened and confused. You need to let them get used to their surroundings and used to you before doing anything with them.

Get them into separate rooms and leave them alone for a few days, except to feed them and talk to them and let them get their bearings.

Please don't give up on them - none of this is their fault!

For anyone else reading this, please don't ask vets for advice about training or behavior. Most of them are not trained in these areas, and often give advice that ends in disaster!

Here is an article for you on introducing cats. If you follow it carefully, it WILL work. Since it was so messed up, it just might take longer.

Introducing cats
Old March 11th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I meant to also say,thank's for adopting them and please do not give up,cats can be complicated little critters,unlike what some people think,they are each an individual with different temperaments,just like dogs or any other living creature.
One might purr at the touch of your hand,the other might take a little convincing,but he will do it at his own pace and when HE wants to,but that's just how cats are and I love them
I know it would be easy to dump one of them back to the shelter,but please don't...give them time,that's all they need..
Old March 11th, 2004, 11:01 AM

I am in complete agreement with LR. As someone who has adopted several older cats and also helped place older cats and kittens, I am shocked and a little disgusted at your vet's advice. These are both boys (are they both fixed?), one is older and used to living alone and the other is young, but used to fending for himself. A bathroom is way too small to confine both of these cats. The cats should each be given a room that you want them to feel comfortable in. It would be preferable that these rooms have an adjoining door. When the cats are both alone, they will get curious and meet at the door. Hopefully after about a week they will get used to each other's smell and be somewhat excited to finally meet. But keep in mind that small tiffs may still occur as they try to sort out the Alpha cat dilemna, but things shouldn't be bad once they settle in.
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so disturbed at what this vet told you that I can barely read this thread. This person should be reported for telling you to do something that could have ended in serious injury or death for the old cat!

And cats who are terrifed will bite and scratch if you attempt to pick them up, unless you've had them a long time and they totally trust you.

I have introduced cats of all ages and both sexes and have never had a problem.

I am apalled at and disgusted with this vet.
Old March 11th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

It sounds like the cats are crowded. Putting two cats that hate each other in a small bathroom is a disaster! I agree with LR's advice.