Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
Willing cat servant

Clicker training questions in adult cats

I've heard it's possible however some of you may know about it from personal experience or from someone close:
How hard it is to start clicker trining with positive reinforcement (aka treats) in adult cats?
What would be a realistic expectation? (I mean in general. I know each cat has his/her own personality so results may vary)
And last but never least: Is it enjoyable for cats? Some say they have a good time and that it relaxes them but better make sure.
Thank you~
Your friendly neighborhood Koteburo~
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I made a brief attempt with my feral. I want to be able to pick him up eventually. First, it drove my dog nuts, he obviously thought the cat was getting all the attention and the resultant treats and I had to shut him out. But then he hovered just outside the door, huffing and distracting the cat. Second, the click, I think, is a little too loud for my feral. It was too startling. Maybe with a normal pet cat it would be more effective.

Good luck. The only way to tell is just go for it. Did you google for YouTube videos of people with their cats?
Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM

I tried it too, Longblades, and had the same problem (canine interference-"Clicks mean food for ME, not food for CATS" It's hard to concentrated on anything with constant complaints coming from the peanut gallery)
I used a dried out pen for the cats' clicker because it's sound was softer and the then-kitten was skittish of new noises(still close enough to set the dog off, though.)
The cats definitely considered it fun. The two I tried it on still come running if they think I'm trying again (and I may). I'm not a good cat trainer though. About the only thing I accomplished was a semi sit and wait for you food, and a definite, come if you hear any animal's name so you don't get left out of the treats. (Four for the effort of calling one can actually be useful)
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old June 24th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Willing cat servant

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Well in my case there will be no dog interfering I have 2 cats
I'm dying to adopt a dog but it'll have to be later because in a couple of months I'm going on a trip and it wouldn't be fair to leave the doggy right after getting him/her.
I guess like you said I'll just have to go for it and see how far can I go with my furballs
Thank you