Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 7th, 2002, 03:09 PM

Unhappy recurring bladder infections in my dog

My dog, a mixed breed that will be 7 this month, has been having recurring bladder infections since August 2001. We have done all kinds of tests such as urinalysis, blood work, x-rays, and ultrasounds. Everything has come back negative, so no kidney or bladder stones/diabetes, etc. We put her on Science Diet c/d and have had her on medicine since August. The first medicine that she was on, gave her eye infections, so at the end of March, we took her off of the antibiotic. We were hoping that the special diet would stop the bladder infection from coming back, but it did not. It came back three weeks later. So, we put her back on antibiotics, but a different kind--it is a form of penicillin and much more expensive. The vet seems to think that she just must be a dog that produces very basic urine and will always need to be on antibiotics. It seems to me that there must be some sort of explanation, though. I am also worried that she will develop a resistance to the antibiotics after a while. This is very frustrating and I hate that my dog has to be in pain so often. Have you ever seen this before or do you have any other suggestions on additional testing that I can do for her? Thank you so much for your help!
Old June 17th, 2002, 08:46 AM

Hi kelly,

Here is some info that i took off the web when my dog had a slew of bladder infections.

I hope the information helps you.

the doog

http://www.drna.org/tips.shtml#Bladder%20Infections
http://www.ivillage.com/pets/expert/...5235-2,00.html
http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dmroster/bladder.html
Old March 31st, 2004, 09:59 PM

urine infection

Kelly My pup is 20 weeks, had a bladder infection was put on antibiotics 2 months ago cleared it. Now has microscopic blood and bacteria in urine. Vet said is just puppy stuff not to worry. Please let me know if you find a solution. My pup is licking her urethra now, wasn't before. She was whimpering today so took urine sample to vet. Thank-you, tried the links in answers to your posts and couldn't get into them.
Old April 1st, 2004, 09:24 AM

Is there a homepathic vet near you? Is the dog drinking enough water? If medications are getting ridiculous then I would seriously try changing her diet over to RAW. Is there crystals in her urine? Is her urine clear or dark yellow? I know some people use cranberry juice on themselves but I don't know if that would harm a dog?!
I'm going to see my vet today, I'll ask her opinion if it is just "puppy stuff"

I just read a post from Luba and you can give cranberry juice, but only pure not Welch's and stuff because of all the sugars. She recommends freezing them into ice cubes if the dog won't drink it. So at least there's something else you can try

O.K. My vet said that all dogs have some bacteria in their urine from when it passes through their uretha, but that they should take a sample from her bladder if this keeps reaccurring, because recurring bladder infections are not "normal puppy stuff." It also might be hereditary. Hope this helps
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:21 AM

blodd in urine

Thnaks for reply Chany! Did pick uuup cranberry pure from health store. Is it normal to have microscopic blood. I don't think so. Eyes bad right now chany, mmine. Typing with closed. Don't know if homeopathic vet here.

She is not on any meds now. Was only on once Feb 2 for bladder and metronidozole, as luba says awful stuff. Thanks for your repllly.
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Your welcome patsadie I don't know I forgot to mention the microscopic blood in urine. But I have to go back to the vets I think on the 21st of April, because Abbey is getting spayed then, so if you think it can wait or as long as she's not in pain I can ask my vet then.
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Chany you remember well!!

Yes cranberry juice (pure cranberry) is excellent for bladder infection...you have to dilute it though as it's very bitter and they wont' drink it. Dilute 1 part cranberry to atleast 5 parts water. If the dog won't drink it. .. freeze into cubes and let them chew it.
If that doesn't work, get an eye dropper and give it that way. 7mon old dog can take a couple of droppers full 4/5 times a day!
Of course treats after for being such a good dog!!

(wow people actually paid attention to me on here )

YIPPIE!!! LOL

Don't forget antibiotics kill all bacteria even the good stuff so your dog should be getting some yogurt, plain yogurt daily. A couple of tablespoons for small dogs and pups.... 4/5 tablespoons for larger breeds!

Don't keep your pup on the antibiotics, if a good dose hasn't cured it.... I'm guessing it won't!! Try the cranberry. Be very consistent with it. After a week of the cranberry and NO antibiotics, retest the urine with the vet and let me know the outcome!!
Old April 6th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Having had the unfortuanate need for this myself, it should also be noted that cranberry extract pills can be bought from health food stores and the vitamin section of better pharmacies. Having tried them I am here to attest to the fact that they work and they may be easier to give to a dog.

Okay, this is enough of the too much information session and personal embarassment for me..... I'll have to go sue someone or something to save face now.....
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

lmao @ cmt
I take cranberry to prevent infection and it works on me

my dad used to get several kidney infections a year, since taking the cranberry daily NO MORE infection
Old April 6th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Always glad to be here for your post reading amusement!

Michelle