Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Peeing in toilet

Does anybody elses cat do it besides mine?

For months now, jasper refuses to pee in his litterbox. I just woke up one morning, thought i heard water running and jasper was up peeing on the toilett. Im not complaining by any means, i just wish he would learn how to flush. He still poops in his box though .

Plus, can anybody shed some light on WHY he started doing this ? Im curiosu cause i havent heard of it happening on its own before. Ive heard of people training for it but this is a new one for me
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
Does anybody elses cat do it besides mine?

For months now, jasper refuses to pee in his litterbox. I just woke up one morning, thought i heard water running and jasper was up peeing on the toilett. Im not complaining by any means, i just wish he would learn how to flush. He still poops in his box though .

Plus, can anybody shed some light on WHY he started doing this ? Im curiosu cause i havent heard of it happening on its own before. Ive heard of people training for it but this is a new one for me
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...51933860088449

Be careful or your cat could end doing this and you'll have a huge water bill.
Some people kept getting a huge water bill and had no idea why it was so high. The husband was home one day sick in bed and heard water running and found the cat flushing the toilet over and over!
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

He takes no interest in flushing, for the past 6 months all hes been doing is jumping up, peeing, and jumping back down :P
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Video babymomma, we need video. LOL
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Video babymomma, we need video. LOL
I second this, love to see Jasper using the toilet.
Old July 27th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
He takes no interest in flushing, for the past 6 months all hes been doing is jumping up, peeing, and jumping back down :P
That is good your cat does not know how to flush the toilet he could fall in head first . I agree with marko, you need to video your cat doing this. If your cat is not getting his pee all over the floor , I would think this would be a good thing as will help save money on kitty litter.
I wish my dog would use the toilet especially when the weather is nasty.
Old July 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Heres a video, its from the very first time he peed in the toilet, and i was just after waking up . I drop the f-bomb, twice. Due to the fact that i was kind of mind boggled :P

Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Old July 28th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
...I would think this would be a good thing as will help save money on kitty litter.
ACTUALLY, it would be a very BAD thing..............

Observing and being aware of urine "deposits" in the litter box is one of the few health-monitoring tools we have at our disposal as cat guardians.

Urinary issues are ones with likely the greatest frequency of occurrence, and some of these issues are life-threatening in nature. Unless you're there on hand to monitor how much and how often you'll have no idea of his urine output.

On the surface, sure,a little savings with litter...the risk? your kitty's painfully ill, you get huge Vet bills and, at worst you lose your cat.

Yes, it's cute....so, save your video and "remember when..."

I'd be discouraging that for sure if one of mine started it.
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Plus, can anybody shed some light on WHY he started doing this ? I'm curious cause I haven't heard of it happening on its own before. I've heard of people training for it but this is a new one for me
I've never heard of it happening on it's own either - so cool. I've been doing a lot of reading on toilet training and he may be doing it because water covers the smell of his pee better than litter does. That is one of the reasons people succeed with toilet training - the cats learn "Oh if I pee in the water it covers my scent better than the litter does!" so they start targeting the water.

Just an idea but if you are ever concerned about his urine output you could always place a bowl in the toilet he uses and collect his output for the day in it and recheck every so often to make sure it isn't increasing(which is a sign of illness). You would probably have to put water in the bowl and if it had measurements on it you could tell at a glance how many cups he peed in a day and his scent would still be covered so the smell wouldn't make him use another toilet or have an accident.
Old January 16th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassblonde View Post
I've never heard of it happening on it's own either - so cool. I've been doing a lot of reading on toilet training and he may be doing it because water covers the smell of his pee better than litter does. That is one of the reasons people succeed with toilet training - the cats learn "Oh if I pee in the water it covers my scent better than the litter does!" so they start targeting the water.

Just an idea but if you are ever concerned about his urine output you could always place a bowl in the toilet he uses and collect his output for the day in it and recheck every so often to make sure it isn't increasing(which is a sign of illness). You would probably have to put water in the bowl and if it had measurements on it you could tell at a glance how many cups he peed in a day and his scent would still be covered so the smell wouldn't make him use another toilet or have an accident.
The OP could buy an urine hat for the toilet at a drug store , and that would tell them how much the cat peeing. I sure wish I knew how to train Marty how to use the toilet.
Old January 17th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I sure wish I knew how to train Marty how to use the toilet.
I've been researching toilet training cats and so far the method I think would work best is this one as we only have 1 bathroom for my family of 5. Also if you kept the mock toilet set up you could travel with it and once the cat was too old to handle the toilet you could reverse the training to move them back to litter.

Other than"it's unnatural" the only argument I have seen against toilet training is tracking waste. As you suggested a urine hat would work great at tracking pee and clean and dry it could be used to collect uncontaminated poo samples.

Personally I would notice a lot more of what my cat is doing in the bathroom on the toilet than in a litter box tucked away in a corner.
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:08 PM

post it on youtube and get a ton of viewers...
i think its amazing... wish i could get my dog to do that.
Old January 18th, 2013, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassblonde View Post
I've been researching toilet training cats and so far the method I think would work best is this one as we only have 1 bathroom for my family of 5. Also if you kept the mock toilet set up you could travel with it and once the cat was too old to handle the toilet you could reverse the training to move them back to litter.

Other than"it's unnatural" the only argument I have seen against toilet training is tracking waste. As you suggested a urine hat would work great at tracking pee and clean and dry it could be used to collect uncontaminated poo samples.

Personally I would notice a lot more of what my cat is doing in the bathroom on the toilet than in a litter box tucked away in a corner.
I would only want my dog to uses the toilet if the weather was too bad or if I was too sick to go out. Yeah I can your point about keep track of how much it is peeing. I forgot that some cats can get urine problems a lot.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:18 PM
Willing cat servant

That pic of Jasper's so cute! Haha Gotta love him.
My parents had a female cat called Lucien RIP my little angel (I know wrong gender name, long story) And she used to pee in their toilet too. She was so cute because she was a very petite cat and peeing in the toilet. No training whatsoever, just like Jasper, no flushing either.