Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:56 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Posting this for Linda Guay - new member

Constipated Male cat...Have tried everything...He is on pumpkin&high fibre canned ???

I have a cat that is contipated and I have tried it all accept Psyillium.
He has been to the Vet and is on Meds for constipation, he has had several
enemas and nothing yet accept a little liquid. I guess prayers are the only
thing left. I have spoken to 2 Vets and one said that surgery is not always
100% successful and it is very expensive.Any other suggestions. I am
running out of kleenex from my tears.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Linda, sorry to hear about your kitty's poop problems. How old is he? How long has the constipation been going on, and what are the meds that he's taking? Has he ever had an x-ray of his colon?

As for food, instead of trying the high-fibre thing, have you ever fed a low-residue wet food? In particular, a plant-free raw diet can work wonders for some cats who actually get worse constipation from fibre.

Slippery elm bark powder mixed with plenty of extra water can also be very useful in these cases, as it helps to balance moisture levels in the intestinal tract.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

OK, those of you with sensitive stomachs... stop reading

The only sure fire trick i've ever learned (and wished I hadn't) from wilderness first aid as a fix for constipation was....

a soap enema

take a syringe (no needle) or turkey baster thing and fill with soapy water, the gentler the soap the better but in an emergency, any will do, and squeeze it in,
dawg only knows why it works but it does

and, dear lord, I have had to do this to a poor child, out on a canoe trip, who hadn't pooped in four days and was dying (figuratively at that time, but could have been literally dying if nothing was done) of stomach pain.
I admit, never tried it on an animal but I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't work, the end of the digestive tract is the same for pretty much all mammals

for your poor guy, I'll be something works
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old March 23rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I do know a human that used the pysillum and had very effective results! I am so sorry your going through this. I also agree with trying the slippery elm bark...has worked for many!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 23rd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Mickey, my angel

So sorry your kitty is having these issues. I have some of the same questions sugarcatmom asked. How old is he? Has he had these issues before and what are the meds he is using. Lactulose and Miralax (called PEG 3050 in Canada) are often used to prevent and treat constipation. A number of our members have had good success with Slippery Elm Bark as suggested by sugarcatmom, as well as canned pumpkin and canned Heinz Organics Butternut Squash. All of the above are safe for long term use. I also agree with sugarcatmom that a low residue food can often be better than a high fiber diet. There are varying opinions on this. Too much fiber can result in bulkier stool which might be harder to pass, whereas a low residue diet is more natural for a cat and would result in less stool production.

Sometimes the constipation can get so severe that the stool becomes severely impacted and hard like concrete, as has likely happened with your kitty. Enemas can often resolve the issue. You say your kitty has had several enemas already with no results so far. If the enemas don't resolve it, the vet will usually suggest manual extraction of the impacted feces under anesthetic. As long as your kitty is not at high risk of complications from anesthetic due to age or other health issues that would seem to be the logical next step. that the enemas still resolve the issue.

I would guess that the surgical procedure the vets were discussing would be a colectomy (surgical removal of the colon). This is sometimes done when megacolon (permanent enlargement of the colon) is diagnosed. This would be determined through xrays. As the vets said the surgery is not always 100 percent successful. I know of at least two members on this forum (likely there are more) who have been quite successful at managing their kitties' constipation issues without resorting to surgery, using various methods, some of which were mentioned in the first paragraph.

that your kitty is feeling better soon.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:08 AM

Thank you so much for all your information.
My cat walked on the job site one day and my other half felt sorry for him.
He was 9 mths. old very sick and weighed only 6 lbs. Off to the Vet he went
and was put on Meds. and here we are 3 years later with a 20 lb. cat
that is constipated. He was consitaped before but got relief from Lactulose.
Now the problem has arisen again. He is on Lactulose and Cisapride daily
and was put on Low residue cat food but it did not seem to help. He does
not like pumpkin. He has had an x-ray and it showed a blockage.
We have gone to another vet, (because Blue's Dr. is ill) and they suggested
high fibre cat food, canned and dry. The cat is drugged in the morning&night
and is fed canned food mixed with pumpkin from a syringe because he only
likes dry food. To save $100.00 a shot by going to the Vet for an enema,
we now do it. I am also putting a half a teaspoon of Metamucil in with the
food. He has had several small poohs come out so something must be
working. I have not tried the slippery elm bark. Would I get this at a
Health store? I love my cat Blue very much and he is way to young to
leave his brothers and sisters, so we are trying everything. He appears
to be much happier and is back to a few of his old habits. Sitting on the
couch and watching the birds, sleeping on the kitchen chair and doing a lot
of meowing which I am happy to hear because it has been missed a great
deal. Blue has a brother Basil 18, sister Mouse 13 (diabetic needle once a
day), brother Mickey (Mouse's son) 12 also diabetic(needle once a day)
Rambo 12. They are all cats. He also has a brother 15 Golden Ret.,
brother 10 Cocker/ King Charles Cavalier mix, and a 5 yr old Lhaso Apso.
We lost Minnie last July, Mouse's daughter also diabetic.
So as you can see we are animal lovers. People think we are crazy, but
we just have a soft spot to rescue animals that are in need and we do
not really care what people think.
Nobody would know that I have 8 animals in this house unless the doorbell
rang. I must say that I do keep the Kitter Litter and the vaccum cleaner
companies in business. Once again, thank you for your help.
Old March 25th, 2010, 11:16 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hi Linda. Glad you came back. I see SCM is replying to your post so I will let her give you the info. She is our #1 cat guru and a fountain of knowledge.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 25th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Unhappy

HI

One thing to remember, if you are giving any one, animal or human Metamucil then make sure they are drinking lots and lots of water. If you don't it will act like cement, and then the problem continues. I know this personally.

Sure am sorry to hear that kitty is going through so much problems, but I wonder about if a blockage showed up, why they didn't try something else. Is the blockage a hairball, a toy, or who knows, or just fecal matter.

I am glad to hear that there are some poo coming, but maybe kitty needs some lubricant (such as a bit of mineral oil, or olive oil, to help make the bowel track slipery. I am not sure what the other meds are that you are giving kitty.

Hope things improve soon, sick kitties and puppies are not happy ones. Their happy seems to leave then doesn't it.

take care
binky
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

After speaking to another member who's cat is having the same issues my feeling is that you are on the right path. But you need to get rid of a couple of things. The Metamucil is probably causing more problems than it is good. A cat can not assimilate fibre like a human can. If a cat is on something like that you have to increase the water intake by 100 fold in order for it to not cause more problems.
You can find slippery elm bark at any good pharmacy. It comes in capsule form. A cat only needs a small amount, about 1/10 of a human dosage. The capsule comes apart. You mix what you need in with his food and keep the rest of the capsule for additional dosages.
Please do not give a cat mineral oil. Because of it's properties it is far too easy for a cat to aspirate the oil into it's lungs which can cause death.
Take the cat right off of hard food. If he is four years old and weighs 20 pounds he sounds like a kibble hound. He needs to lose some weight. He won't as long as he is on kibble. It is filled with tons of unnecessary ingredients (grains, corn) which is only going to compound kitty's problems. A good site to read for more information on that is: www.catinfo.org
Can you add more water to the cat's wet food? I am assuming it is vet food? If so see if you can change it to a good quality food like Nature's Variety, Wellness, Nature's Balance, etc. These foods can be found at pet stores. What you are looking for is food that is grain free, corn free, and by product free. You may be surprised how quickly kitty will change from a kibble addict to a canned food lover.
You could also consider a raw diet for your kitties. It is the optimal diet for them as it contains the necessary ingredients cats need to thrive and nothing else. We have lots of information on feeding raw in the food forum section.
This is not going to be an overnight cure. It's taken Blue a long time to get to this state. It will take a while to help him. But I bet with perseverance you will find a changed cat in a few months.

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Linda, I have so much to say on all of this but because I'm at work I keep getting interrupted .... so I'll give you a more detailed response later if that's okay. I do think it's absolutely imperative that you get all of your kitties off of dry food (as an aside, what do your diabetics eat?). I know it can be hard, I've been there, but it can be done. What canned foods have you tried in the past? What was the low-residue food (vet-prescribed, I presume)?

Here is some info on feline nutrition that I recommend reading, with some tips for transitioning kibble addicts over to wet: www.catinfo.org

I'm also curious about the "blockage" that showed up on the x-ray. What did the vets think it was? Did they offer any suggestions to deal with it? How long ago was that? (Sorry for all the questions)

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 25th, 2010, 01:13 PM
150% PRO S/N

Oops, sorry SCM. I thought you may have been sidetracked so went ahead and posted. You can smack me now.

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Oops, sorry SCM. I thought you may have been sidetracked so went ahead and posted. You can smack me now.
Oh gosh no! Thanks for responding (I was indeed distracted - darn this whole work thing). You're right on the money with your advice, I think that amount of Metamucil (which is the same thing as psyllium husk, Linda) is dangerous in this situation, especially with a dry high fibre diet already in the mix. Instead of trying to increase the amount of fibre in this cat's diet, the focus needs to be on increasing the water content.

Old March 25th, 2010, 01:24 PM
150% PRO S/N

Whew!! (wiping brow) I really didn't want to be smacked today.
See, you taught me well.

Old March 25th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Wow, is this very confusing. I will take him off the Metamucil. This Elm Bark you
are talking about should I go to a Pet Store or a Health Store.

Somebody did suggest Mineral Oil and I asked one of my Vets and he said no because
it could affect the lungs, so that is out of the question.

Food.....he does not like wet food. He never did. I am mixing Medi Cal Fibre with
canned pumpkin and we feed him with a syringe.

X-Ray showed a blockage of poop and he was hospitalized for 2 days and given enemas
and an IV. Blue came home with his Medication and he seemed OK. About a month
later he started to show the same signs again. Blue's Doctor got ill so we went to
another Vet. and he has had several enemas and has released some pooh. I have
four other cats so this makes it really hard to block openings off so he will not get to
the other food.

My next step is this Elm Bark.

Thank you so much for your quick response.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM

Thank you for your quick response. As I mentioned to 14+ kittens my next step is
to try the Elm Bark as you suggested. Blue does not like wet food and will only eat
dry food. Right now we are feeding him Medi Cal fibre canned mixed with pumpkin
from a syringe.

You were mentioning about the brands of cat food. I have a girlfriend who had 11
cats when I first met her and she feeds her cats Iams (orange bag) and Friskies canned
food and she has one diabetic fat cat. She is very good friends with her Vet and
money is no object for medical help if cats need it. I went to my Pet Store and they
suggested a brand by Burns (brown rice, ocean fish meal, oats, chicken meal) they
believe in Holistic Principles.

What happened years ago when we did not have more than 3 choices of cat or dog
food? So many to choose and which is the best?
Thank you for your quick response.
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Linda, I have been there, done that as the saying goes. My Quince has neuro deficits which leave him becoming severely constipated if not watched constantly. He was at the point where your kitty is now at least 3 times I am sorry to admit to plus add severe vomitting from pushing so hard to pass stool. He is also on the lactulose 2X daily and 10mg cissipride 1X a day. Slippery elm is a godsend for this problem,,,you can find it at any health food store and it is very reasonably priced. I use it as needed when things are slowing down a bit if you catch what I mean! I use 1/2 a capsule but my guy is even bigger than yours, not so much in fat, but a big breed and I mix it into wet food with at least 20-30cc of extra water.....it is soup but my guy eats it from a spoon...spoiled, I know.
My guy has been through the ememas including a vet mix of KY jelly, soap, and warm water, manual evacuations 3 times and I was told the next step was surgery which I will avoid at all costs.
Medical treatment can be managed, but it is a bit of work.
Good luck. I would truly recommend you give the slippery elm a try.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Guay View Post
This Elm Bark you
are talking about should I go to a Pet Store or a Health Store.
Health food store. If you can find the loose powder in bulk, get that, otherwise capsules with no other ingredients added.

Quote:
Food.....he does not like wet food. He never did.
It's not unusual for cats to get addicted to dry food, they coat it with numerous flavour enhancers in order to make otherwise inedible ingredients more appealing. Plus, the more cats eat of it, the more manufacturers sell, the more money they make. They don't care about the health of your cat, whether it becomes obese or diabetic or constipated, they just want to make as much money as they can. In fact, even better if the cat does develop a medical condition, because then they can sell you an even higher priced "prescription" bag-o-crap to supposedly treat the very condition they caused in the first place (and I use the term "treat" very loosely).

Please read the catinfo link above. It's an eye-opener, and written by one of the few vets who actually understands what cats, who are obligate carnivores, should be eating. In a nutshell, dry food is directly responsible for a vast number of ailments in cats, from diabetes to obesity to bladder/urinary tract problems, kidney disease, allergies, IBD, constipation, even cancer. There is no good reason to feed kibble to cats. Not one. Doesn't matter who makes it or what's in it or how much it costs. Dry food kills cats.

I totally sympathize with you about having a kibble addict. It took me many many months to completely eliminate dry food from my cat's diet, but I had to do it. For his health. Eating dry was what gave him diabetes in the first place, and he was impossible to regulate while he continued to eat it. That was 7 years ago, and he's now a happy, healthy 17yr old. You can do this! It can take a great deal of patience and creativity, but I absolutely believe there isn't a cat on this planet that can't eventually be converted.

In case you couldn't find it on the main catinfo page, here is the shortcut for tips on transitioning dry food addicts to canned food. Most people make the mistake of putting down some canned (while still leaving a bottomless bowl of dry out) and then giving up after a couple tries when their cat doesn't eat it. New foods with different textures and smells are rarely accepted right away in adult cats. It is possible to overcome this by doing a much slower introduction. Put just the tiniest dab (like the size of a pea) in with the dry food, and only put out a precisely measured amount of dry that will be eaten within an hour. Don't leave it out for free-feeding. If that little dab of wet gets eaten along with the dry, then put in 2 dabs the next time, and take out one piece of kibble. Keep doing this for every meal until eventually there is no more kibble, just canned.

Other tricks are to pulverize some kibble (or a favourite treat) and sprinkle it on top of the wet. This makes the new food less foreign to the cat. You can leave that out all day for free-feeding instead of dry if you like. It won't go bad.

I have to caution you on one very important thing. Your diabetic cats may very likely need less (or even no insulin) if you eliminate the dry food. I don't suppose you home-test their blood glucose levels, do you? I highly recommend learning how so that you'll know if and when they are ready to go into "remission". It will help prevent a hypoglycemic episode. If you'd like more info on home-testing, let me know.

What type of insulin are they on? It's extremely rare for a cat to get sufficient coverage on only one shot a day, even with the long-lasting insulins. If your cats really are regulated on just once a day dosing, they're excellent candidates for coming off of insulin entirely if you can improve their diet. Here is some more reading for you on the subject of feline diabetes: http://www.catinfo.org/felinediabetes.htm Sorry to bombard you with all this info, but it's crucial to learn for the health of all your cats.

Quote:
I have four other cats so this makes it really hard to block openings off so he will not get to the other food.
They should all be eating the same thing. Quality, meat-based WET food.

Old March 25th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I went to my Pet Store and they
suggested a brand by Burns (brown rice, ocean fish meal, oats, chicken meal) they believe in Holistic Principles.
Holistic doesn't really mean anything in the pet food industry, and there are no regulations regarding the term. Burns is not a great choice, for several reasons. First, because it's dry. It's also way too high in carbohydrates from grains. And it's a good idea not to feed fish-based foods more than once or twice a week, for reasons I won't go into right now.

Quote:
What happened years ago when we did not have more than 3 choices of cat or dog food? So many to choose and which is the best?
Years ago, cats ate a great deal more fresh food, either from live prey that they caught because they spent more time outdoors, or else from the "table scraps" that people augmented their diets with. But then commercial pet food became a multi-billion dollar industry, and pet food manufacturers convinced us that we should feed ONLY their product, or else we would make our pets sick. Cause of course they've done all this "research", so they must know what they're talking about. Boy were we fooled! Most of their "research" consists of finding ways to keep pets alive on the cheapest ingredients possible. And frequently they haven't even been able to do that (taurine deficiency, anyone?).

What you want to look for in a quality commercial cat food is something as close to what cats would eat in nature as possible. After all, they evolved over millenia eating freshly caught rodents, lizards, birds and insects. Why mess with a good thing? Seeing that we can't easily feed the average indoor house cat a diet of live prey, the next best thing is balanced raw meat (including bones and organs). If that isn't doable, then canned food would be next in line. With little to no grains and preferably quality muscle meat as the main ingredient, rather than by-products. Brands that fit the bill are Wellness, Nature's Variety Instinct, By Nature, Ziwipeak, Innova Evo 95%....

Old March 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Sugarcatmom thank you so much for taking time out of a busy schedule to help Blue.
I phoned my local Health Food Store and they do carry slippery Elm Bark in capsule and
in bulk. Now if I go with the bulk, how much do I use and how do I use it.
Will this effect Blue because of the medication he is already on which is Lactulose 2 cc
twice daily and cisapride 1 tablet twice a day. Does name brand mean anything for
the elm bark. Now what happens if by chance my dogs eat this elm bark and the
other cats. Just incase one of the other 7 slip by me.

The diabetic cats are a Mother and Son and the Daughter died last summer, but not
from being a diabetic. She was 12 years old and overweight. When she was born I
was told not to go near the kittens or handle them because the Mother would turn
against them so sad to say it was a trying 12 years. Her Brother Mickey was born the
same day. Mouse which is the Mother gets 5 units a day and the son Mickey gets 10
units a day. They are on Caninsulin. We found out they were diabetic about four
years ago and my other half gives them the injections.

Between the Kitty Litter and all the Meds it gets mighty expensive. I have a dog which
has allergies and one of them......................hate to say this is that he is allergic to
CATS. He gets an allergy needle once a month. He was tested and it is impossible to
control all the things that he is allergic to for ex. grass, cig. smoke (no we do not smoke)
brewers yeast, certain trees etc.

Now what brand of Cat Food would you suggest. I live in Ontario and my car does
travel especially for shopping. If possible, suggest more than one.
My cats are seniors accept for Blue who is 4 years old. Two cats are thin they weigh
about 10 pounds each one is 18 the other is 12 (both boys)

Tonight, since I do not have the slippery elm bark he will get his pumpkin and his
Medi cal fibre wet food from the syringe. If we do not see him go poopy we will give him another enema...oops..not me...my other half will.

I hope all of this sinks in fast.

Blue says meowy meowy and one more meowy.....and a little rough kiss too.
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:39 PM

I forgot to mention that when I was in the Pet store the other day they suggested
a cat food by Burns......Holistic Principles. Brown rice, chicken meal, ocean fish
meal, chicken fat, oats, sunflower etc.

Have you heard of this brand.....the pet store is Global Pet Foods. I do not know if you
are familiar with this store.

Once again, thank you.
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Me again, I have been reading so much and wiping tears that I missed when you said
that Burns is no good.

I am taking it back to the store for a refund.

I will check on the other brands you suggested.

One thing for sure and that is my 120 wpm typing speed is returning.

When Blue sees me at the computer he is hoping to hear the fax machine go on.

He gets a kick out of watching the paper flow. He is a cutie petutie. He looks so

much like his brother Rambo when we got him that the only way we could tell them

apart was by the white tip that Blue has at the end of his tail. Now it is easy to tell

them apart......one looks like Hardy and the other like Laurel.
Old March 25th, 2010, 05:54 PM
150% PRO S/N

I am so glad you tracked down the slippery elm already! That's great. If you buy in bulk they should be able to tell you the adult human amount. Just divide it into 10's. 1/10 of a human's dosage is the right amount for Blue.
I don't think it would harm the other kids to get it. I have used it for a few of mine and it hasn't harmed the others. You never know. They may like it.
If you are close to a Global pet food store that is the best one for finding the type of foods you want to find. I have found a lot of employees of Global go out of their way to help a new customer look for good foods. Just remember the most important things. No grains, no corn, no by products, no dry! It will take a while to switch your gang over but your kitties will thank you in the long run. Your vet bills will probably go way down as well because your kitties will be healthier.
As SCM mentioned - stay away from holistic or any other kind of dry foods.
Try watering down the food a lot when you are starting to change over their diets. The more water they get in their diets the better. You could also try dribbling some tuna juice on top if they are being particularly stubborn.
Please take the time to read the links SCM gave you. They are eye openers!

Old March 25th, 2010, 05:57 PM
150% PRO S/N

I have to laugh at your "two of my cats are thin - at 10 pounds!" I don't think I would call them thin. That should be around what they should be. I have a few overweight kitties too but I think even my biggest guy is 18 pounds. He carries the weight well though as he is huge!!

Take your time learning this stuff. It's all brand new and slightly overwhelming to start. You'll get it.

Last edited by 14+kitties; March 25th, 2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:33 PM

14+kittens thank you for the information. I do get my dog food at Global Pet Food
because my one dog has allergies and as I told SugarCatMom one of his allergies
is to CATS....YES.....CATS....what do I do.....well...he gets an allergy needle once
a month.
I will be heading out tomorow to the Health Store for the Slippery Elm Bark and heading
across the street to Global Pet Food to check out the food situation.
With the price of Vet bills today, and I mean today, my cutie petuties know how lucky
they are and how spoiled they are. They all have a great life and need nothing, however,
they are high maintenance like their DADDY.
I just have to ask you this....".you do not think that 10 pounds is thin"!!!! Oh well, I
guess that means we all go on a diet, including me.
I am going to go on the website that Sugarcatmom suggested and check it out.
Old March 25th, 2010, 09:39 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I just have to ask you this....".you do not think that 10 pounds is thin"!!!! Oh well, I
guess that means we all go on a diet, including me.
I am going to go on the website that Sugarcatmom suggested and check it out.

Depending on the bone structure and build of your kitties then no, 10 pounds isn't thin. In fact it is probably the right weight for them. I have quite a few that weigh less than that. My silly goof of a TT weighs a whooping 6.6 pounds at two years old (almost)! He is very long and gangly. His sister is exactly the same build. Probably my smallest is around five pounds. She is very tiny and a small build. If she weighed more than she does she would be overweight which is not healthy at all.
But the only way we will know if your kitties are skinny is to post pictures of them. No pressure. We will give you a while to read all the other info we have given you.

Old March 25th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Now if I go with the bulk, how much do I use and how do I use it.
I would start with 1/8th of a teaspoon twice a day, which you can either mix into a treat such as plain chicken baby food (no onions - Beechnut or Heinz are 2 brands to look for) or plain unsweetened yogurt or some canned salmon (low-sodium). It can also be mixed into Blue's regular wet food with an extra tablespoon of water. You can gradually go up to 1/4 of a tsp up to 4 times a day if necessary, but I wouldn't go much higher than that. Here is more info on slippery elm (including a recipe for syrup that can be given orally by syringe): http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...em=slipperyelm

Quote:
Will this effect Blue because of the medication he is already on which is Lactulose 2 cc twice daily and cisapride 1 tablet twice a day.
It might be a good idea to give the SEB at a different time from the cisapride because its mucilaginous properties can interfere with the absorption of other medications. Otherwise there should be no issues.

Quote:
Now what happens if by chance my dogs eat this elm bark and the other cats.
There's no worry if your other pets get some too.

Quote:
Mouse which is the Mother gets 5 units a day and the son Mickey gets 10 units a day. They are on Caninsulin.
Caninsulin is definitely not long-lasting enough for once-a-day dosing. Have they had a curve done at the vet's recently? How did he arrive at these doses? It would be so much better if you were to divide the dose in half and give a shot every 12 hours instead. You'll definitely want to cut the dose back if you can get them off of kibble. What food do they eat right now? How much do they drink and urinate?

Quote:
Between the Kitty Litter and all the Meds it gets mighty expensive.
No doubt!!! That's quite a lot on your plate. Hopefully we can figure something out that helps you cut back on medication costs. You might also be able to lower the amount of litter you go through if we can get your sugar cats better regulated.

Sorry if you're on information overload right now. There can be a bit of a steep learning curve with all of this, but like 14+ said, take your time and eventually some of it will stick. And you're also to be commended for wanting to do the best you can for your kitties. Thanks for taking such an interest in their wellbeing.

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I just wanted to let you know that you are in VERY GOOD HANDS with sugarcatmom. Her advice is always right on.

If you find the quality canned is a bit expensive, you can add some homemade raw to the mix (better for your kitty anyways if prepared properly),

I understand how difficult it is to transition kibble addicts to canned, but it can be done, been there, done that. It was very hard on me emotionally but I stayed strong and followed advice I received here and now my old kibble addict will eat raw and is SOOOOOOO much healthier. Once you get your cats on a quality canned, you will never understand why pet food industries sell kibble , it doesn't do your cat any favours.

I use slippery elm bark for my Jasper. He has a sensitive tummy, which Nature's Variety Instinct and raw has pretty much cured, but he still has bouts of tummy problems. I add SEB to his food and it clears up within a day.

Sending you lots of for you and your kitty

Oh, and one more thing, I didn't see anybody demand, whoops, I mean ask for pics so I am going to . We are kinda picture junkies

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 26th, 2010, 07:23 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Oh, and one more thing, I didn't see anybody demand, whoops, I mean ask for pics so I am going to . We are kinda picture junkies
You didn't see anyone asking for pics L4? Mmmm, thought that's what I did here:

Quote:
But the only way we will know if your kitties are skinny is to post pictures of them. No pressure. We will give you a while to read all the other info we have given you.

Old March 26th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
You didn't see anyone asking for pics L4? Mmmm, thought that's what I did here:

Whoops sorry. I guess I scanned over the posts to quickly.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Guess, the Slippery Elm Bark is not working.

The canned Wellness Food is not working either.

Still no poop, now what is Blue's next step?