Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 19th, 2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Strays - a rant

So last night there was a cat across the street howling non-stop so I went over to check and she was sitting on the stairs to an apartment crying and crying. When she finally came close, I realized it was a female and thought maybe she was in heat (although didn't seem to have any of the typical 'postures').
Later, a young girl who lives on my alley knocked on my door and said they had lost their kitten, didn't know when or how he had escaped and she wanted me to be on the lookout. So we went out with a flashlight and checked in the most obvious places. I suspect he had been gone for hours. I told her to search later when there was less noise and to make some posters. But given her family situation - the kids get very little attention from their parents and seem to have attached themselves to my neighbours downstairs, who are very involved with their own children - I'm sure the kitten is gone forever.
Then another neighbour in the building wants to borrow some baking soda to add to one of those 'disposable' litter boxes, which is so yucky (the litter is non-clumping) that his kitten has started to use the floor. I finally go down with a sack of litter, dump the old litter and re-fill it, tell him what brand to buy ($10) and how it is much less expensive in the long run. Since he had had a few beers (to compensate for his dreary, largely unfixable life), I got nowhere. Sooner or later, the kitten will probably be looking for another home, since he bought it for his daughter, who doesn't even live there, and he largely ignores it, although he is not unkind.
So around 5 this morning, I wake up to the wailer (who is not in heat, just lost) and go out to find her still in the same general area, along with a brown tabby I have been feeding and a big black kitten who turned up recently. So I brought out some food and everyone got a bite and a cuddle. Three beautiful, healthy cats, not a chewed ear in the bunch (the tabby is neutered and declawed) and I have no space and no prospect of space.
Stray kids, stray cats, I don't know which makes me angrier.

Last edited by badger; June 19th, 2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM

I have to say Thank you to you Badger! I am a Mom of two wonderful children and I know that kids in their situation it is hard (as I have worked with street kids), you are a safe person and place for these kids!

As for the poor kittens too, they are extremely lucky to have food put out for them and you are a guardian to them.

It is very sad that people (mainly adults) are so irresponsible and yet these are the people that should be teaching these kids how responsibility works, yet what is it they are teaching.

They talk about bullying breeds should not be able to be bred, but there are some people in this world that should have been neutered and spayed too!

I am joining you in this rant and stand by you one hundred percent!

Deb

Nova - Papillon - SuperStar

Deb
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Kitty pimp

the kids make me angrier they both make me sad more than angry though
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

:sad:

I think society is going backwards.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 19th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Sleep..What is that?!?

I agree 100%

Some people do need to be neutered/spayed. Having children is a HUGE responsibility and thought needs to be put into it.

Having a pet is a HUGE responsiblity. Some people do not seem to realize that this little critter is depending on you to care for them...for maybe 15 years!

Again, with both, training is needed...nurturing is needed. It is amazing what society finds acceptable behavoiur now days...
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Well put Mookie!!! And love4himies your right, some of the society is going backwards, some are even neandrothals with their thoughts!

Nova - Papillon - SuperStar

Deb
Old June 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

We live in a throw away society. Unfortunately that means animals AND kids!
I don't know what we can do to change it except for helping as many as we can. And Badger - you do MORE than your share. I thank you for that!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 19th, 2008, 11:37 AM
~Cat Servent~

:sad::sad:

I saw so much of that in the ghetto here (I lived in a mostly assisted housing building for a couple years) and it really breaks your heart. You are an for doing what you can. And I that these children and animals all find people like you to show them kindness.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M