Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
One dog at a time...

Opportunity to foster a malamute

Several months ago, I signed up with "Guardian Angels for Soldiers' Pets" to foster a dog for a soldier when he/she is deployed. When I filled out the application, I noted that I would prefer a dog around the 15 pound range due to the size of my dogs. Today I received a call from the organization asking if I would foster an Alaskan Malamute. When I asked if the dog got along with other dogs they told me "some of them". After explaining to them that I had three dogs of my own, of which the largest is 20#, I didn't feel comfortable fostering a dog so much larger than mine, especially if there was a possibility that mine could get hurt or worse. The lady was very understanding and I asked her to please keep me in mind when another, smaller dog needed to be fostered.
Then I started second guessing myself and worrying that the Malamute wouldn't be able to find a foster home and that the soldier would have to turn it over to a pound or humane shelter and it would be euthanized. After doing a bit of research on the breed, I feel that I have made the right decision concerning the safety of my dogs due to the high prey drive of the Malamute. I do wish I had asked more questions of the lady who called but it shocked me that they would ask me to foster a Malamute that my mind just went blank. Did they not review my application? I specifically stated that I would foster a smaller dog. I guess I am a little upset because now I feel guilty for refusing and am worrying about the dog and the soldier.
I suppose I am just ranting. *rant over*

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!

Last edited by My Lodi Girl; March 10th, 2010 at 07:31 PM. Reason: ranting over
Old March 10th, 2010, 06:50 PM
-

I wouldn't worry , I'm sure "Guardian Angels for Soldiers' Pets" will not let any dog go to a high kill shelter. That is what they there for , to place dogs in a safe place.

I think you took the right decision.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Opportunity to

I think you did the right thing, its wouldn't be fair to put your own dogs in jeopardy.
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Mals are notorious for disliking other dogs. Sweet as can be with people, but they can be very aggressive with other dogs. Small dogs might even set off their very high prey drive too. I know you feel bad, but I'm sure you've done the right thing. I would love to have a Mal here too, but not with my 2 dogs.

clm
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:17 PM
One dog at a time...

Thank you all for your support. I have fostered dogs before but they have always been small to medium size and I have never had any major problems (other than my girls ganging up on boys, which is why I can only foster girls now). This is a long-term (up to 2 years) foster program and I would never forgive myself if something happened to one of my babies because I took in the wrong dog. I hope no one thinks I have anything against Malamutes because I don't. I love all dogs, just prefer the little ones. I can always count on you guys to make me feel better!

RIP My Precious Kitty - Misty Margaret (long-hair calico) - 08/24/94-03/12/10
RIP Sweet Baby Girl - Lodi Sue (dachshund mix) -01/20/98-11/04/09
RIP My Itty Bitty - Trinket Joy (chihuahua mix) Puppy Mill Survivor rescued 10/00 died 01/22/02

Rescues will touch your heart & soul like no other!
Old March 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't have either.

I see you have cats, and unless you could keep the malamute away from them I wouldn't chance it. Some do get along well with cats, but you don't know that about this one.

I also wouldn't chance a dog that "sometimes" has problems with other dogs. That's a bit vague and it sounds like the rescue doesn't know too much about the dog's attitude either.
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:08 PM
-

I didn't want to say anything about the breed but yes , Malamutes are not for everyone.