Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 26th, 2008, 01:55 PM

Very Itchy Little Dog, licks the apple cider vinegar off her paws- any advice please

My little 5.4kg. rescued Yorkshire Pomeranian has "environmental allergies"and every year at this time she gets itchy paws. Her little paw pads are puffed up and swollen.....she is having a difficult time to walk :sad: and I need to pick her up and carry her as she is unable to walk too much outside when I walk her. This year it seems that the itchiness is the worst ever, and it is extremely difficult for her - she is licking her paws non stop. I have tried Prednisone, (did not work) and my new Vet this year put her on Vanectyl (did not work). I stopped this med, and for the past 3 days I give her Benadryl 12.5mg. three times a day......STILL NOT WORKING.
I have used organic apple cider vinegar on her paws....SHE LOVES IT and is LICKING IT OFF!! Should I keep on applying the apple cider vinegar? Is there a chance that it might not be too great for her?
Is there any other remedy I can try? Any advice, suggestions, would be very greatly appreciated.
I am at my wits end and do not know what to do......HELP?? Thanks.
Old August 26th, 2008, 02:00 PM

Don't know too much on this subject but have you tried boots?
Old August 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM

My dog also has seasonal allergies and licks her paws - they get very red and inflammed. Your dog sounds like she is having quite a bad reaction :sad:

The only thing I can suggest is to wash the paws with a medicated soap - that's what I do and I also use an anti-itch spray called Wham that I purchase from a pet store. I also give benadryl but she still licks so I just try and relieve it a little and prevent infection with the washing and spray.

I think there are actually health benefits to adding apple cider vinegar to your pets diet so I wouldn't be worried about her licking it off however you may not want to encourage her to lick if she likes it so much.

Sorry I can't give more advice - the only reason I look forward to winter is so my dog will have some relief.
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Itching Frantically Doggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWanda View Post
My dog also has seasonal allergies and licks her paws - they get very red and inflammed. Your dog sounds like she is having quite a bad reaction :sad:

The only thing I can suggest is to wash the paws with a medicated soap - that's what I do and I also use an anti-itch spray called Wham that I purchase from a pet store. I also give benadryl but she still licks so I just try and relieve it a little and prevent infection with the washing and spray.

I think there are actually health benefits to adding apple cider vinegar to your pets diet so I wouldn't be worried about her licking it off however you may not want to encourage her to lick if she likes it so much.

Sorry I can't give more advice - the only reason I look forward to winter is so my dog will have some relief.
Thanks for the suggestions. But, what worries me is Baby licking her paws which have medicated soap ingredients and Wham on them, because - not only does she now have these seasonal allergies, but she also has a VERY sensitive digestion and for the past 2 months she was on special medication to treat this, as she has had chronic diarrhea :sad: and stomach pain etc....so, at the moment she is more "stable" and on the Medicale Fiber diet and nothing else goes in her mouth (except water!)..... Since posting, I have stopped the Benadryl as it did not help at all, and she is back on the Vanectyl P, but at higher dose: 1/2 tablet every 12 hours (Vet's instructions). She is still licking and scratching constantly, but...a bit less "FRANTICALLY".
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:45 AM

I am not sure if you have heard of this product or not .... it is called HOKAMIX. Although I have not tried it, I have heard really great things about it. You may want to look it up online and try it out. This may help your little one.
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:56 AM

iTCHING FRANTICALLY DOGGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KB View Post
I am not sure if you have heard of this product or not .... it is called HOKAMIX. Although I have not tried it, I have heard really great things about it. You may want to look it up online and try it out. This may help your little one.
Thank you - I will definitely look it up!!
Old August 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM

With the medicated soap you wash the paws and rinse with water so no soap should be left on the paws. It just helps to keep the paws clean so that they are less likely to get infected - especially if they become very raw.

My dog doesn't really like the smell of the spray so she doesn't seem to lick after it is applied - which is good. Even if she did it is made for pets so imagine it is safe but I understand your concern if she is really sensitive that way.