Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:33 PM

Question New Puppy...other dogs playing to rough and nipping

My new puppy loves to play thats all she wants to do. But my other dogs are a little too rough with her. Castro, hes 3, isnt trying to be mean at all. He just wants to play with her and she loves it. But sometimes he gets a little rough. How can I stop this behavior? Kahlua, shes 6, is really jealous and will just come up behind her a bite her neck, sometimes she yelps, so I know it hurt her. I reprimand her everytime but she keeps doing it. Is there anything I can do when the puppy is romping around?
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:16 PM

Yelping because of biting the neck might not be pain. It's an act of domination and come dogs cry when they're dominated (so the other dog lets go).

You just have to observe them playing and then set a limit. Rough playing usually is an escalation process. Like they'll start playing and then after a while it just gets more and more rough. You just have to watch a point in the playing where you feel it's getting out of hand and stop the playing consistently at that point.

Some people use growling as the ending point. When one dog starts to growl, even if it's a low, quiet, friendly growl, they end it.

You just really have to watch your dogs and see when the playing changes into really rough playing and learn to stop it before that.

Does that make sense at all?
Old August 21st, 2006, 09:38 PM
-

You will need to supervise all playing until your puppy is older. She is only four months old and your other dogs are three and six years old and that is a big difference. What breeds are all your dogs?
Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:15 AM
owned by Tucker

I find most times dogs just work things out themselves. Yes keep an eye on them and I would not leave them alone right now, but one day your older dog will get fed up and put the younger one in its place.
My dog is very active, and has a doggy friend that is older if Tucker gets in his face too much the older dog growls and shows teeth to mine, he soon backs down. They will gradually find the right pecking order in the family, there might be a few minor fights or nips but in the end most dogs can work it out.