Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 29th, 2012, 02:12 AM
Willing cat servant

Scully has a twitch/spasm in one paw

I really hesitated about starting this thread because I though I was crazy and paranoid (and maybe I am) but now I'm almost sure that ever since last night (I noticed almost 24 hours ago) I noticed something on Scully, some sort of involuntary movement in her right paw, she moves all the arm from the shoulder actually. It's very fast, it doesn't happen very often, not easy to catch that's why I thought I was imagining things and just now I went to pet her and "talk" to her and there it was! A quick spasm kind of thing in the paw and it's just once it doesn't seem to be a repeating spasm, once per time only. It can happen when she's asleep or awake.
Other than that she seems awake, affectionate, she has her appetite she played today but I'm really puzzled and uneasy about that twitch thing.
Has anyone heard, experienced or known of anything like this?
She's programed for a visit to the vet in 1 month (since before I noticed the paw thing) but who knows now I'm thinking maybe I should re-schedule earlier. The problem is when I go there the paw won't twitch and I'll look crazy
No but seriously, any clues?
She's spayed of course and 4 years old.

Update: The spasm actually goes all the way down to her hind leg but not always, sometimes all the way down, sometimes only from the shoulder to the paw and sometimes happens more often than others. I just saw it like 5 times in a row with a space of about 20 seconds in between and sometimes it takes way longer.
There is no doubt now. I'm worried.
Could it be a sing of something toxic she ingested? Low potassium? Or what could it be...

Last edited by Koteburo; September 29th, 2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old September 29th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

koteburo is she decalwed by any chance? my 2 used to shake their paw occasionally like that and I thought it was from being declawed. Did you check to see if she has a bite or anything? maybe its a reaction from that?

unless it starts to happen all the time I wouldnt worry too much.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Willing cat servant

No, she's not declawed however I have yet to check if there's any wound hidden in the fur.
I'm going to keep an eye on her, to see if she keeps getting the spasm that sometimes goes all the way down to her right thigh as a wave spasm. Tonight she slept peacefully it seems.
Hopefully she'll remain stable and playful and just keep an eye on her and see how this goes.
Thank you Winston ♥
Old September 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koteburo View Post
I really hesitated about starting this thread because I though I was crazy and paranoid (and maybe I am) but now I'm almost sure that ever since last night (I noticed almost 24 hours ago) I noticed something on Scully, some sort of involuntary movement in her right paw, she moves all the arm from the shoulder actually. It's very fast, it doesn't happen very often, not easy to catch that's why I thought I was imagining things and just now I went to pet her and "talk" to her and there it was! A quick spasm kind of thing in the paw and it's just once it doesn't seem to be a repeating spasm, once per time only. It can happen when she's asleep or awake.
Other than that she seems awake, affectionate, she has her appetite she played today but I'm really puzzled and uneasy about that twitch thing.
Has anyone heard, experienced or known of anything like this?
She's programed for a visit to the vet in 1 month (since before I noticed the paw thing) but who knows now I'm thinking maybe I should re-schedule earlier. The problem is when I go there the paw won't twitch and I'll look crazy
No but seriously, any clues?
She's spayed of course and 4 years old.

Update: The spasm actually goes all the way down to her hind leg but not always, sometimes all the way down, sometimes only from the shoulder to the paw and sometimes happens more often than others. I just saw it like 5 times in a row with a space of about 20 seconds in between and sometimes it takes way longer.
There is no doubt now. I'm worried.
Could it be a sing of something toxic she ingested? Low potassium? Or what could it be...
I found this web site from a DR. Zoe , he giving medical advice to person that has a cat with the same problem as your cat. Maybe it will help ?
http://www.justanswer.com/cat-health...eg-spasms.html
Old September 29th, 2012, 01:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

This may be totally off the wall, but hubby has a condition that is similar-sounding. He has a recurring tick that causes him to tense and roll his left arm now and then and flex his thumb and finger on that hand. Occasionally, he'll have a spate of tickiness that is enough to irritate the tendons in that arm and cause some soreness, but otherwise its a benign condition. I can't remember what it's called...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 29th, 2012, 05:20 PM

Hi Koteburo:

Your problem with Scully sounds a wee bit familiar. I have a four-year-old male cat named Yogi, who is suffering from something very similar. It started a couple years ago, when I thought he was chasing a flea around his hindquarters but after doing this thorough search I found no fleas, and none of the other cats were suffering from fleas either. This would happen periodically, usually every couple months or so I would notice it. I mentioned to the vet at the time and she thought it was dust mites, and knowing the age of the building that we were living in at the time it sounded quite feasible. It wasn't till early this spring, that I realized that things had progressed a little bit more with Yogi. He was having these spasms a little more often maybe once a week, and when one of these spasms took effect he would become very agitated with himself and start to dart around the house. This would only last maybe five or 10 minutes at the outside, but sometimes he would take his frustration out on one of the other cats, nothing serious.

A couple months or so back I ran into a post, where somebody was having trouble with the cat that was self mutilating. Some of the symptoms got my interest and I started doing a bit of research into it. I found that involuntary movement was one sign, and a twitching movement of the hide that would give you the impression of having fleas was another - body jerks, excessive grooming, doesn't want to be touched, and the list goes on - but all symptoms don't show in Yogi. His symptoms aren't that prevalent and could be missed by someone who was not paying attention to their cat, and just think that cat was going through a silly fit. Some of the names they have tagged to it is feline hyperesthesia syndrome, rolling skin syndrome, twitchy cat disease, just to name a few.

If this is what Scully has it would be very minor I would think, but it's not to say that it wouldn't get worse over time. I would be talking to your vet the next time you're in to see them and get their opinion. In the meantime, I'll give you a website and you can have a look at it and see if any of the information fits the problem.

With Yogi I have started using some homeopathic to relieve the stress problem and it seems to be working quite well. I find it extremely hard to tell whether he is stressed or not, cats hide stress well making it hard to diagnose and solve problems.

Have a look at this website, it might give you some ideas. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1998

I would be interested in hearing what you find out about Scully.
Old September 30th, 2012, 01:10 AM
Willing cat servant

I really appreciate your concern and the time each one of you took to reply with thoughtful answers.
@Barkingdog The link was very helpful. Actually last night I was talking to my sister who is a doctor (a doctor for humans though) I mean just to vent it out for some relief and she suggested some of the things Dr. Zoe says how she approaches that kind of issue. She kind of told me what to expect from the vet and that it probably will be tests. IF it's a neurological issue she walked me through a home made exam just for the time being while I take her to the vet. Since the neuro physical exams are similar to humans. Things such as check pupils response, have her follow my finger (or a toy) with her eyes and head, things of that sort.

@hazelrunpack Actually that's not so far off since cat's neurological system is very complex and similar to human beings. That's why sadly cats are used for awful tests and experiments for neurological related drugs, treatments and disorders. (and that breaks my heart big time)

@Reg Your suggestion it's indeed a possibility I've contemplated.. Because she doesn't seem to be in any pain (THANKS God) However I have noticed, particularly yesterday, more licking around the affected paw and side where she has the spasm. Yogi's symptoms do sound a lot like Scully's so far and for sure I'll keep this post updated and see how this progress. It'll help others that encounter similar issues as well.

As I type this post Scully is playing with Mulder, she seems happy and awake and pain free or at least quite as normal as usual. She ate all her meals, drank water and she just went pee like 20 mins ago or less.
The plan: I'm taking her to the vet this week, on Friday the 7th in the morning. I'm taking Bobandy for his routine check after being neutered so I'll do a 2 for 1 trip. I'm hoping she continues to do well in spite of the spasm from now to Friday.

I'll keep you informed
Old September 30th, 2012, 12:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you have a camera with video capability and you can catch her in the act, that might be useful to the vet, as well. Hope you get some answers!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 30th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If you have a camera with video capability and you can catch her in the act, that might be useful to the vet, as well. Hope you get some answers!
I was going to suggest that too. I had called the vet and said my dog was has not eaten for 3 days and when I got to the vet my dog called me a liar and ate the food the vet gave him. My vet said he had seem pets 'act' perfectly healthy so they can get out of the office fast... Our pets are too smart for their own good. And the food my dog ate for the vet was the same food I had at home.
Old September 30th, 2012, 04:59 PM

Hi:

I am glad that you were able to get some help with Scully's problems from your sister. It helps to relieve some of the anxiety of the unknown. I will be very interested in your findings, and watching for updates.
Old September 30th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Willing cat servant

I'll try to get a video tomorrow. That's a very good advice because she might not do it at the vet and there are a number of different kinds of spasms and seizures (although I don't think this is a seizure) so what better than for the vet to be able to actually see the symptom.
The good news is that the frequency and intensity of the spasms seems to be diminishing. Yesterday I saw it like 3 times at night and not strong enough to even wake her up. This morning she jumped with me on the bed to cuddle right next to my belly and I didn't feel or see much. I think I've seen it once or twice at the most today as opposed to 5 times almost in a row the other night. Every day seems to be happening less, still I don't want to leave this end lose so we stick to the plan no doubt.
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Willing cat servant

And we went to the vet. But before let me tell you that I couldn't make a video for the vet because the spasm just wasn't there (and I am extremely glad)
I did tell the vet about it, described it he asked a few questions like if I saw any limping, lethargic, less appetite, less thirst, less use of the litter box to all of these questions my answer was no, no, no, and no. She is perfectly normal except for that and it doesn't happen anymore.
He did a general check up (she was overdue anyway) and found everything in place except for her teeth (she has a tar problem), updated her vaccines except rabies which is not overdue yet and gave her an antiparasite medicine that goes in the back on the skin, to both of them Bo and Scully.
Everything went well until in the middle of the afternoon I hear smacking lips sound and to my horror I saw Scully with 2 strands of thick saliva hanging from her mouth! I was so scared. I called the vet immediately. I checked her gums as they advised, normal color. The slime like saliva went away she asked me for food, I played with her later and she was happily responding and alert. The vet told me to keep an eye on her and if something came up take her in tomorrow but that I shouldn't worry too much about it and that it's not any of the symptoms of an adverse effect related to the shots...
But here's MY theory. I think she licked the medication on her back and it was foul and made her nauseous hence giving her that hyper salivation (It's not Frontline and it's not Profender but it's by Bayer too and it's also for worms not at home atm. Watching the kitties by webcam from here) I don't know how the vet didn't think of this I checked on line by name and it says that one possible side effect is heavy drooling if they ingest it. Says it on every website.
After the drooling everything went back to normal, playing, eating but I must say she was in a very cranky mood, hissing at Mulder even and attacking Bo (nothing serious more of a warning kind of thing) I guess it's because of all what she went through on Friday and I think that deworming thing made her nauseous because she did smack her lips every now and then especially if she groomed.

Bo got all his shots and he took a blood test just for my peace of mind. It'll be ready in a couple of days (I guess by Tuesday)
The bill almost made me faint, I literally felt light headed for a sec hehe but what are you going to do.
Old October 6th, 2012, 10:23 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

We feel that way every time we leave the vet with the bill, Koteburo o.O I feel your pain!

When you talked about the drool, that's the first thing I thought of--that she'd licked the stuff on her back. That's how our dogs get when they get a mouthful of Frontlined scruff during a wrassling session. It must taste pretty bad. The only other time they get like that is when they're harrassing toads...

Glad to hear that Scully's spasm seems to have abated. I hope it doesn't come back!

Old October 6th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
And we went to the vet. But before let me tell you that I couldn't make a video for the vet because the spasm just wasn't there (and I am extremely glad)
I did tell the vet about it, described it he asked a few questions like if I saw any limping, lethargic, less appetite, less thirst, less use of the litter box to all of these questions my answer was no, no, no, and no. She is perfectly normal except for that and it doesn't happen anymore.
He did a general check up (she was overdue anyway) and found everything in place except for her teeth (she has a tar problem), updated her vaccines except rabies which is not overdue yet and gave her an antiparasite medicine that goes in the back on the skin, to both of them Bo and Scully.
Everything went well until in the middle of the afternoon I hear smacking lips sound and to my horror I saw Scully with 2 strands of thick saliva hanging from her mouth! I was so scared. I called the vet immediately. I checked her gums as they advised, normal color. The slime like saliva went away she asked me for food, I played with her later and she was happily responding and alert. The vet told me to keep an eye on her and if something came up take her in tomorrow but that I shouldn't worry too much about it and that it's not any of the symptoms of an adverse effect related to the shots...
But here's MY theory. I think she licked the medication on her back and it was foul and made her nauseous hence giving her that hyper salivation (It's not Frontline and it's not Profender but it's by Bayer too and it's also for worms not at home atm. Watching the kitties by webcam from here) I don't know how the vet didn't think of this I checked on line by name and it says that one possible side effect is heavy drooling if they ingest it. Says it on every website.
After the drooling everything went back to normal, playing, eating but I must say she was in a very cranky mood, hissing at Mulder even and attacking Bo (nothing serious more of a warning kind of thing) I guess it's because of all what she went through on Friday and I think that deworming thing made her nauseous because she did smack her lips every now and then especially if she groomed.

Bo got all his shots and he took a blood test just for my peace of mind. It'll be ready in a couple of days (I guess by Tuesday)
The bill almost made me faint, I literally felt light headed for a sec hehe but what are you going to do.
I thought when you put the fleas control drops on your pets is should not put where the pet can lick it off.
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Willing cat servant

It's called Advantage multi. And yeah, he put it right in the midle of the back right past the neck and a bit down in the farther point from grooming however you know how flexible cats are and since she probable felt something in her fur she did a turn of the head and managed to get some of it.
Old October 6th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It's called Advantage multi. And yeah, he put it right in the midle of the back right past the neck and a bit down in the farther point from grooming however you know how flexible cats are and since she probable felt something in her fur she did a turn of the head and managed to get some of it.
I like the way this vet put it on a cat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evRf6uY4ugw
Old October 7th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Willing cat servant

Watched
That's similar to what the vet did except he followed a straight line and took it further in the back. Scully can turn her head almost in 180° which is very creepy haha (I saw her doing it today) so she licked it off and had a reaction with thick stands of saliva.
Old October 25th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Willing cat servant

The twitch is back

And the twitch is back
After all this time it came back last night. It was easy to spot because she jumped on a futon where I was and then a big spasm that moved her like hiccups except it wasn't hiccups 1, 2, 3, 4 times in a row almost, after that it stopped and that thing in the shoulder started just like the first time, she gets a spasm in the shoulder so she stretches her paw while she's at rest.
Everything seemed OK yesterday, she played, ate, drank, used the litter
but this thing again
When I took her to the vet he didn't find anything apparent out of place.
She did have though those sudden races to nothing...
:S
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Keep the video cam handy. Could it be that she reinjured a muscle?

Old October 25th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Keep the video cam handy. Could it be that she reinjured a muscle?
I will
And that have crossed my mind too
Right now she's eating ♥

UPDATE: While I was watching a TV show she slept for 50 mins on my lap. No twitch at all. I've been keeping an eye on her (close eye) nothing. I've been particularly loving to her, gave her play time (only could for 10 mins but still she was done by then heh)
She's been super playful, ate very well today. Peed, haven't seen her poo yet, but everything seems well.
Don't know what to make of this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
But as long as she's healthy, eating and happy that's a blessing for me.
P.S. She's playing with Mulder right now, she even played with Bobandit today... TWICE!

Last edited by Koteburo; October 25th, 2012 at 09:16 PM.