Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 13th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

SO frustrated....

We were supposed to take Nanook in today for a follow up xray of his lungs to see if he's having any improvement on the anti-biotics. I called this morning to see what time to bring him and the receptionist (wonderful girl) says "Oh, I don't know if he wants to do the xray today. I think they want to do the cultures". I was confused and asked her what cultures. She said "Oh, no one has talked to you about additional cultures?" I said no, no one had menetioned anything to me at all and again asked what cultures. She put me on hold then came back and said the vet (not our regular vet) wanted to speak with me and they need to do additional cultures. I told her he's on 1500mg of Cephalexin daily and said they had told me they probably would not yield results from any cultures once he started the anti-biotics. She said "Well, he will have to call and go over some things with you". That was almost 4 hours ago. I just called again and now he's in surgery.

I'm so damn frustrated and angry. We paid the $700 for the flush before starting anti-biotics to avoid doing it after and probably not getting anything from it. Now I'm sitting here stewing with worry all day, wondering why the need (did they find something in the original already?) and just feeling this dark cloud again. And after spending ALL the money we have he doesn't have the courtesy to call me so I don't sit and wonder or worry? It just doesn't seem fair.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012

Last edited by Rgeurts; August 13th, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Maybe he just wants to talk about the culture results not do more cultures? Peculiar. Seems too early for them to have cultured much out yet... They might have run some chemistry on the fluid, too--those test results would likely already be back

I hope he has good news! Meanwhile, I know how hard waiting is so I hope he hurries up!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 13th, 2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
We were supposed to take Nanook in today for a follow up xray of his lungs to see if he's having any improvement on the anti-biotics. I called this morning to see what time to bring him and the receptionist (wonderful girl) says "Oh, I don't know if he wants to do the xray today. I think they want to do the cultures". I was confused and asked her what cultures. She said "Oh, no one has talked to you about additional cultures?" I said no, no one had menetioned anything to me at all and again asked what cultures. She put me on hold then came back and said the vet (not our regular vet) wanted to speak with me and they need to do additional cultures. I told her he's on 1500mg of Cephalexin daily and said they had told me they probably would yield results from any cultures once he started the anti-biotics. She said "Well, he will have to call and go over some things with you". That was almost 4 hours ago. I just called again and now he's in surgery.

I'm so damn frustrated and angry. We paid the $700 for the flush before starting anti-biotics to avoid doing it after and probably not getting anything from it. Now I'm sitting here stewing with worry all day, wondering why the need (did they find something in the original already?) and just feeling this dark cloud again. And after spending ALL the money we have he doesn't have the courtesy to call me so I don't sit and wonder or worry? It just doesn't seem fair.
I can't offer much help, Rguerts, but do hope your vet gets back to you soon. I'm sure you agree, it's tough finding an excellent vet... although I can appreciate they are busy, it's really hard to feel anything but anger when they keep you out of the loop on something in regards to your pet.

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Maybe he just wants to talk about the culture results not do more cultures?

That's what I thought she meant originally, until she said the vet may want me to just schedule a full for the xrays and cultures so it can be done at the same time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiek View Post
I can't offer much help, Rguerts, but do hope your vet gets back to you soon. I'm sure you agree, it's tough finding an excellent vet... although I can appreciate they are busy, it's really hard to feel anything but anger when they keep you out of the loop on something in regards to your pet.

They did tell us 3-5 days for the cultures, so I'm sure it's too soon to have the original results back yet. They say he needs to speak with me, but then doesn't call back. I guess the reason I'm so angry is because he did the same thing last Saturday. I waited patiently all day, then finally called them back and 2:30 and they were closed... He never did call me back or apologize the following week. I'm thinking we just need to find another vet. I LOVE our vet but she only works 2 days a week

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

First I'm sorry Nanook is having so many problems. Second I'm sorry this vet is being such a jerk. If you really love your original vet you need to speak to that vet and let them know what's going on. Be brutally honest and let him/her know that you will find a different vet clinic if the service doesn't improve. There's no reason for them to keep you waiting all day and then not even having the courtesy to get back to you. I think your good vet needs to know what kind of associates are involved. I had a similar situation years back and every time I went to "my vet" I got somebody different. I finally left because I wanted a clinic with one vet.
Old August 13th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Robyn,I went through very similar happenings with my old vet-clinic,only they had FOUR different vets,most of them with different opinions.
My vet now,is wonderful,was recommended to me by friends and I in turn have recommended him to others.

It's callous and uncaring to keep you waiting,they must know what peoples pets mean to them,like Dog-Dancer says,you should let your"good"vet know how it is.
I am sure she does not want the clinic to lose any patients.
My vet always calls me after 5pm,during his dinnerbreak,then he works until 8pm.
Old August 13th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
First I'm sorry Nanook is having so many problems. Second I'm sorry this vet is being such a jerk. If you really love your original vet you need to speak to that vet and let them know what's going on. Be brutally honest and let him/her know that you will find a different vet clinic if the service doesn't improve. There's no reason for them to keep you waiting all day and then not even having the courtesy to get back to you. I think your good vet needs to know what kind of associates are involved. I had a similar situation years back and every time I went to "my vet" I got somebody different. I finally left because I wanted a clinic with one vet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Robyn,I went through very similar happenings with my old vet-clinic,only they had FOUR different vets,most of them with different opinions.
My vet now,is wonderful,was recommended to me by friends and I in turn have recommended him to others.

It's callous and uncaring to keep you waiting,they must know what peoples pets mean to them,like Dog-Dancer says,you should let your"good"vet know how it is.
I am sure she does not want the clinic to lose any patients.
My vet always calls me after 5pm,during his dinnerbreak,then he works until 8pm.

The vet who is doing this owns the clinic. Our vet only works there a couple days a week to help out. I will definitely tell her how I feel. I just called again and apparently he's too busy to call me. They said they got swamped, which I understand, but I told her it would only take a few minutes for someone to call and tell me that. I have now wasted a 2nd full day on this jacka. She was kind enough to tell me that they got results and he needs a few different tests and that I will have to wait until tomorrow or possibly Monday until he can "find the time" to call me back and tell me what's wrong. I have called the animal hospital where the tests were completed. The receptionist is going to have the vet on duty call to discuss the results with me. I'm just so mad! I'm a very peaceful, easy going person most of the time. But not today

Old August 14th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Rgeurts - I have not been on Pets lately due to my vacation but, when I quickly dropped in, I noticed this thread and also your other one about Nanook. My heart dropped.

I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. Financially and emotionally, I know what you're going through. The waiting game is a terrible thing when you're so worried about your baby. I wish you and your furbabies the best of luck and I hope you get some answers soon. I also hope your "other vet" learns some courtesy!!

You're doing everything you can to help Nanook and that makes you a hero in my books.
Old August 14th, 2010, 08:57 AM
-

Did the vet finally called you Rgeurts ? How frustrating to wait like that
Old August 14th, 2010, 09:23 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope the vet on duty at the animal hospital called at least! Waiting for results is bad anyway--and how much more frustrating when you know there are at least partial results back and you're being put off by the vet!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I called the animal hospital where the tests were completed and told her what our clinic was doing and asked if there was anyway they could hep. The receptionist there was appalled and said she would have the vet on duty call.

10 minutes later I got a call from our clinic and the vet who didn't have time for me. He apologized for not calling me sooner and said he had every intention of calling me back
We went over the cytology report which indicated bacterial pneumonia "possibly" but he said that the way his lungs look on the x-rays don't support that. Then he said it's also indicatve of inhaled contanimants, and also fungal spores. He said the fungal spores could be from anything such as enviromental, inhaled, oral cavity or stomach. He said they "think" he may have aspirated with one of the seizures, but again he said there's just too many things it could be and recommended doing some cultures?!?
I asked when we would get the results of the first cultures back and he said "what cultures?" OMGoodness... I lost it.
I told him the ONLY reason we drove into town that night to pay them (the hospital) "upfront" was to have the flush completed PRIOR to giving him the anti-biotic so cultures could be done, and results found and now there aren't any?!
He said it didn't really matter as we have the cytology and he is now on an anti-biotic... I asked him what happens now if he doesn't respond to the anti-biotic, which they told us was very possible and was the ENTIRE reason for putting him through the surgery? And as far as the cytology, that really means nothing at all as it "could be bacterial, could be fungal, could be ingested, inhaled or enviromental?!?! I said you guys still don't know what's wrong... it's the culture that is going to diagnose him! I told him I expect a full refund of the $700+ we paid if they did not do the culture. He said again they still did the cytology and feels the cultures still need to be done
I told him we are NOT paying for or putting Nanook through another surgery that has a high possibility of not yielding anything. I asked him why they couldn't use the original sample, or do they destroy what's left after the cytology? He said "good question, let me call them".
He called back about 10 minutes later and said they still have fluid (thanks heavens, for their sake) and they will run them. I told him I was still very mad they were not completed as that was the only reason we put him through surgery but he said "no harm done, he's on an anti-biotic now". Then he said it would have been better had they done it so he could be put on the "right" anti-biotic, the sooner the better then said they would call and let me know once they get the results.

Last edited by Rgeurts; August 14th, 2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post
Rgeurts - I have not been on Pets lately due to my vacation but, when I quickly dropped in, I noticed this thread and also your other one about Nanook. My heart dropped.

I am so sorry that you have to deal with this. Financially and emotionally, I know what you're going through. The waiting game is a terrible thing when you're so worried about your baby. I wish you and your furbabies the best of luck and I hope you get some answers soon. I also hope your "other vet" learns some courtesy!!

You're doing everything you can to help Nanook and that makes you a hero in my books.

Thank you so much serenamlambe
I hope we get some answers soon as well. Our poor little guy
Had they kept him on the steroids for the 6-8 months to begin with, he may have been ok now. But I guess we will never know for sure.

How is Keely? And I hope you had a great vacation!

Old August 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
-

holy crap .... I would take Nanook's file and go to another vet !
Old August 14th, 2010, 02:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

omd, I gotta agree with Frenchy!!!! Thank dawg they had the fluid still and can run the cultures. Did your vet address what happens if it turns out to be fungal in nature? He could treat him with antibiotics till the cows come home and if it turns out to be fungal, it would be absolutely useless!!!

Old August 14th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
holy crap .... I would take Nanook's file and go to another vet !

We will be doing that asap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
omd, I gotta agree with Frenchy!!!! Thank dawg they had the fluid still and can run the cultures. Did your vet address what happens if it turns out to be fungal in nature? He could treat him with antibiotics till the cows come home and if it turns out to be fungal, it would be absolutely useless!!!
He said it could take several weeks to grow a fungal culture, but he has requested that in addition to the bacterial culture. He didn't seem concerned at all about the fungal part of it, though, which bothers me as everything I have read says fungal infections can be very nasty and some even transmitted to other dogs and possibly humans. I just hope whatever it is it can be treated and our baby is ok.

I have contacted the Washington State University Veterinary Hospital. It's supposed to be one of the best in North America. I wish I had known about this place prior to going through everything here. They gave me one of the neurologists email address and fax number. She said to fax all the info in his files, they will review it and work with our vet to figure out what's going on. She said if she feels he needs to go there for treatment, they will let us know right away and we will drive him down

Old August 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Yep, fungal cultures can take forever....and fungal infections can be nasty.

they find something bacterial, but it's good they're doing both cultures!

And I think the WSUVH is a good move. I hope the answers come soon now!!!

Old August 15th, 2010, 08:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn,all I can say is OMG and in the end little Nanook and you can make this frustrating episode a distant bad memory and Nanook will be healthy
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:41 PM
-

First of all, big hugs to you, your hubby and Nanook and it sounds like Thorin could use one as well.

What an ordeal you have all been through.

Glad that WSU Vet Hospital is now going to review Nanook's file and offer their advice and treatment. I hope the vet you deal with now gives them more respect than they gave you. The runaround you got was totally inappropriate.

I hope you get some answers quickly and that Nanook is soon on the road to recovery.
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
First of all, big hugs to you, your hubby and Nanook and it sounds like Thorin could use one as well.

What an ordeal you have all been through.

Glad that WSU Vet Hospital is now going to review Nanook's file and offer their advice and treatment. I hope the vet you deal with now gives them more respect than they gave you. The runaround you got was totally inappropriate.

I hope you get some answers quickly and that Nanook is soon on the road to recovery.

Thank you so much rainbow
They better give WSU the respect lol. If not, we will pull all of his files and drive him to Washington. I still have some vacation time, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Thorin is back to his cute old self. Poo is back to normal and no more bile
He still has a bit of an ear infection, but we're treating that also. Nanook tries to clean his ears, and he actually lets him! We never thought Thorin would warm up enough to allow Nanook to groom him
They even sleep in the same room now. Thorin has his own bedroom with a queen size bed, but is now sleeping in our room again with nookie monster

Old August 15th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Robyn,all I can say is OMG and in the end little Nanook and you can make this frustrating episode a distant bad memory and Nanook will be healthy
I truly hope so chico! I know whatever is meant to be, will be. I just hope he's meant to get better and maybe this is just to make hubby and I stronger. Who knows

Old August 16th, 2010, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Robyn,forgive my ignorance,I have read all you have written,but still don't really get it.
Any lung-problem to my knowledge would not cause seizures,which were your main concern
Of course if there is a problem with his lungs,it should be treated,but surgery??
I am glad you have someone else looking at his files
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Robyn,forgive my ignorance,I have read all you have written,but still don't really get it.
Any lung-problem to my knowledge would not cause seizures,which were your main concern
Of course if there is a problem with his lungs,it should be treated,but surgery??
I am glad you have someone else looking at his files
Maybe I just didn't explain well, I tend to jumble things together sometimes, sorry! The surgery was to go into his lungs, inject fluid, then pull it back out for cultures.
As for his lungs causing the seizures... they said lack of oxygen would cause them? But then why the bad CSF tap... I don't think a lung infection would show the same as meningitis. I'm confused too lol

Old August 20th, 2010, 11:58 AM
-

Robyn, I've been thinking of Nanook constantly ....how is he doing?
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, been busy the last couple of days trying to find a new vet. We did find a lady to take him to. She was wonderful, caring and seemed to really just have a love for animals. She checked his mouth and thinks it is Thrush due to the antibiotic and steroids that he's on. There wasn't much of anything there but I took along the pics for her to see. She said she would be more comfortable with us taking him to a specialist as his problems are very complicated, and I have to agree. She will see him and Thorin for the everyday care though.

He's been ok until today. He has always been a piggy, big one. He won't eat and he's barely drinking and he's been burping alot. We have an appt. at 3:45. I hope he's ok

And thank you for asking

Old August 20th, 2010, 05:31 PM
-

Well I'm glad you have found another vet that is more willing to help than the other ones.

Sorry to hear that Nanook isn't feeling well and glad you've got an appt this afternoon ......it sounds like your new vet was able to fit him in on short notice as well. Is she also going to set up an appt for a specialist for him to see?

I hope the not eating is nothing too serious ... good luck and keep us updated.
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm glad you found a new vet, Rgeurts, and I hope the tummy upset is just a temporary blip! When do you see the specialist?

Old August 22nd, 2010, 01:59 PM
-

How is Nanook doing?