Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 10th, 2006, 03:33 PM

DVP and Increased Energy Levels

Quick question. I switched my little dog (15 lbs) over to the salmon and sweet potato formula by DVP (Natural Balance). He's eating as much of it as he did the performatrin ultra (also salmon formula), because calorically they are about the same.

I've been noticing that he's got more and more energy and was wondering if it was maybe the food? Its not really a problem, but with the cold season here, we can't go walking for as long as normal and if I can't get all his sillies out when we're walking he turns into a wholly brat in the house and gets into everything!

So I'm thinking of switching him back to the performatrin but wanted to get your thoughts first.
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

here are the ingredients side-by-side (I find it helps to see both foods next to each other for a comparison) -- you're feeding the slim-care salmon, right? It's the only salmon formula I know....

Slim Care Salmon & Olive Oil
Salmon , Salmon Meal , Oatmeal , Whole Brown Rice , Pearled Barley , Chicken Meal , Whole Rice , Herring Meal , Dried Potato Product , Dehydrated Vegetables (Carrot, Celery, Beet, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach) , Dried Whey Protein Concentrate , Brewers Dried Yeast , Green Peas , Alfalfa Meal , Dried Egg Product , Olive Oil (stabilized with mixed tocopherols) , Chicken Cartilage (source of Chondroitin) , Fresh Whole Sweet Potatoes , Fresh Whole Carrots , Fresh Whole Apples , Kelp , Sea Salt , Sunflower Oil (stabilized with mixed tocopherols) , Canola Oil (stabilized with mixed tocopherols) , Whole Blueberries , Whole Flaxseed , Lentils , Potassium Chloride , Fresh Spinach , Chicory Root Extract , L-Leucine , L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C) , Fresh Garlic , Green Tea Extract , Glucosamine Hydrochloride , DL-Methionine , L-Carnitine , Lecithin , Taurine , Vitamin E Supplement , Yucca Schidigera Extract , Beta Carotene , Lactobacillus Acidophilus , Bacillus Subtilis , Bifidobacterium Thermophilum , Bifidobacterium Longum , Enterococcus Faecium , Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc) , Choline Chloride , Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron) , Rosemary , Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese) , Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper) , Vitamin B12 Supplement , Vitamin A Supplement , Niacin , Calcium Pantothenate , Vitamin D3 Supplement , Riboflavin , Folic Acid , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Thiamine Hydrochloride , Biotin , Cobalt Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Cobalt) , Potassium Iodide , Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K Activity) , Selenium Yeast (source of Selenium)
Crude Protein 28.0% min
Crude Fat 8.0% min
Crude Fiber 6.0% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Leucine 2.0% min
Calcium 0.9% min
Phosphorus 0.7% min
cals: 310

Natural Balance® Sweet Potato & Fish Formula
Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Canola Oil (preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid), Sweet Potato Fiber, Dl-methionine, L-lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9).

Crude Protein-21.0% minimum
Crude Fat-10.0% minimum
Crude Fiber-3.0% maximum
Moisture-10.0% maximum

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."

Last edited by meb999; December 10th, 2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I would hesitate mostly because of the menadione bisulfate....it's been linked with cancer, and has been removed from most high quality kibble.

As for higher energy, I was told that a more active dog meant he was getting more of what he needs in a diet
Maybe the fact that the DVP has carbs as a first ingredient gives your dog more energy

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFriendly View Post
I've been noticing that he's got more and more energy and was wondering if it was maybe the food? Its not really a problem, but with the cold season here, we can't go walking for as long as normal and if I can't get all his sillies out when we're walking he turns into a wholly brat in the house and gets into everything!
Maybe his increased energy is because of the shorter walks?
Old December 10th, 2006, 04:59 PM

Yes, he was eating the salmon and olive oil one. I have an email in to Performatrin asking about the Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, I will let you know what they say.

I don't htink its the shorter walks that's doing it. He's one of those dogs who can walk anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes and be satisfied. We also play in the back yard. But in any event, the increase in energy came before the need for shorter walks.
Old December 10th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Honest Contributor

sweet potatoes do contain alot of sugar... maybe that's not helping and the cold weather seems to invigorate some dogs, perhaps a combination of both... hmm.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:30 PM

He gets wound up when he's wet, so I guess it might be the same for when he's cold. I know they are called sweet potatoes, but really how sweet can they be?

Does anyone have any other ideas for a food choice that doesn't have rice as a source of carb?

I got lucky this week-end. Its been nice so we've been out to my parents place to run the fields there with their golden, we've also been to a playdate at his obedience school and got in two long walks... He's sleeping under the chair as I type and I haven't said 'Get out of the litterbox' yet today.
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Honest Contributor

Quote:
I know they are called sweet potatoes, but really how sweet can they be
ooh baked sweet potatoes are practically dessert! very sweet, indeed. and yummy!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 10th, 2006, 08:36 PM
Senior Contributor

a few that spring to mind : Innova Evo and Innnova RM, California natural Herring and sweet patato (although, maybe you stay away from the sweet patato!!! ) Solid Gold BATM, , alot of Timberwolf Organics have no rice...

Here's a thread you could check out : http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=28957

it has alot of foods listed with their ingredients

Old December 10th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Great link, thanks

Based on a quick look of that, I'm leaning towards, solid gold Holistique Blendz Adult Dog (fish), because both the fat and protein levels are lower.

Working around the rice isn't easy...
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:52 AM

I wouldn't go for lower fat and protein. Is there a reason you can't just exercise him more? Playing usually is more tiring than walking.

IMO, it's probably the cold. How long has he been eating this food? With Jemma and Boo, I saw an energy increase when I switched to better food, but that was months after the switch.
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:46 PM

I'm not really sure I could get more exercise in, and we do do a fair amount of mental stimulation what with my penchant for wanting to teach him things as well as agility lessons and doggy daycare. If anything, he's getting more exercise than he was this time last year.

His energy levels have been on the rise for two weeks, he's been eating the new food for 4 weeks... If its the cold, why would he be hyper in the house too?
Old December 11th, 2006, 06:29 PM

Come to think of it... Shortly after starting the new food, I stopped giving him Benadryl for his allergies (seasonal/environmental ones)... Maybe that's what did it, or rather, was making his less energetic

Last edited by PetFriendly; December 11th, 2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old December 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFriendly View Post
Come to think of it... Shortly after starting the new food, I stopped giving him Benadryl for his allergies
yeah, that could do it....I remember Buster got stung by a zillion mosquitoes this summer (it was my fault...I took him to the park in the evening....during crazy 'skiters season) and he had HUGE lumps on his head. The vet told me to give him benadryl to help with the swelling...and he was sleeeeeepy for a few days (and that's with just half a dose )

Old December 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Goldie & Aspen are always energetic (especially Aspen); however, their energy is level is x10 in the fall & winter! They love the cold weather!!! They play harder, they walk faster, & they want to be outdoors more--they don't like the warm, humid summers here. As everyone else mentioned, the cold weather is invigorating for some dogs

P.S. Our 14-year-old Cocker Spaniel (who is now deceased) ate the Solid Gold Holistic Bledz for the last year of her life--from age 13-14. She thrived on it & we could tell she felt so much better (increased energy, better stools, etc.). But, go figure, she ate Iams for 13 years of her life Our faults :sad: Anyway, the lower protein & fats in SG Holistic Blendz are something to think about, but considering all factors, we believed that was the right formula for her.