Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old February 14th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I just don't understand why,someone would willfully harm these poor cats,they are no bother to anyone,but there are hateful morons everywhere.
The cats lives are hard enough,even though all those wonderful people are helping them to survive.
Cats would probably be able to escape a Coyote,if there was trees and no snow,as it is now,they don't stand a chance...

If these cats are all adoptable,I hope they can all be rescued before more are killed....the care-takers must be frantic,they know these cats and love them.
Maybe they feel a home is the only option,a cage at HS not so
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am just bawling, I hate humans . They are just such a horrid species.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I wish I could find a space for a few of them. But I am full up. There are at least two new strays coming to eat in the greenhouse now. One for sure is not fixed.
I check the FB a few times a day hoping to read that they have managed to get all of the kitties temporary homes. There are 7 living in a basement and a couple others have foster homes. One foster has already said the one she has can't stay. It's so disheartening.
I know what hubby would say if I told him I wanted to go to TO to pick up a couple.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

L4H,my sentiments exactly....
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I wish I could find a space for a few of them. But I am full up. There are at least two new strays coming to eat in the greenhouse now. One for sure is not fixed.
I check the FB a few times a day hoping to read that they have managed to get all of the kitties temporary homes. There are 7 living in a basement and a couple others have foster homes. One foster has already said the one she has can't stay. It's so disheartening.
I know what hubby would say if I told him I wanted to go to TO to pick up a couple.
I knew this would be eating away at you

Chico there are trees around.
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:38 PM
-

I just saw this thread now. Those poor kitties .....wtf is wrong with people. Once the kitties are gone the coyotes will now be so used to finding food in the area that they will just move to the closest source which will be in the nearest neighbourhood.

Bless the kind people that are trying to save the remaining ones and to the poor souls that had to suffer.
Old February 14th, 2011, 10:33 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I knew this would be eating away at you
It sickens me that some loser idiotic son of a biatch psychopath frikken a$$hole is out there doing this to cats. It just makes me wonder if there are any good people (besides on Pets) out there worth their weight. I hate I can't do anything. Hate it!
And I'll say it again - if it were dogs this would never ever have happened.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
You are right 14+, they would have been rounded up by Animal Control and put to sleep
No Sylvie, I'm afraid not. If there would have been one or two dogs wandering loose out there with no signs of an owner present the dog would have been picked up. Most likely the owner would have come to the shelter/pound and claimed the dog. If not then the dog would have been put up for adoption. Stats show there is a huge difference in dog adoptions compared to cats. The stats for dogs being claimed as compared to cats is in most cases better than 70% for dogs (a lot of HS have much higher claim rates at around 85 to 90%), 3 - 5% for cats. Quite a startling statistic, no?
It's kind of a moot point as there would never have been a chance for 30+ dogs to congregate in one place. It just would not happen in the TO area. Someone would have pointed them out long before their numbers reached 30.
I am still praying that some kind soul will step forward with a place for the rest of the clowder.

Last edited by 14+kitties; February 15th, 2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
And I'll say it again - if it were dogs this would never ever have happened

Your right they would have been rounded up and taken by Animal Control and dealt with accordingly. It seems to me ist a tad harder to round up a colony of cats...

I dont know why you keep bringing this subject up?????????????

Its like your comparing an apple to an orange really? Its so much easier for a colony of cats to hide out than it would be for a pack of feral dogs to hide??

As for the stats 14+ I get what your saying but the circumstances are so much different?? If cats are turned in and they are feral you know what happens? How often do you hear of a feral dog being turned in?

I just dont think this thread is about whether this would have/could have/ or should have happened whether be it dog or cat?? Its really about the fate of these poor souls at the bluffs...

Jusy my
And why don't you just allow her to post her feelings? She is not hurting anybody.

She is RIGHT, people wouldn't allow a dog just to wonder around trying to survive on it's own, it would have been picked up and kept safe. It would never have grown to a pack of 30 dogs. People have the opinion that cats can survive on their own, no problem.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM
150% PRO S/N

Yes, I do keep bringing it up. I apologize for that. I suppose it's like anyone else who has a passion for something. It's part of their normal, everyday thing. Like breathing. I wish it were only numbers I was going on. It isn't.
I don't want to turn this thread into a pissing match at all. In fact I don't want to turn Pets into that. So I will from now on stay silent about my passion. I'm sorry one more time.

Old February 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
And why don't you just allow her to post her feelings? She is not hurting anybody.

She is RIGHT, people wouldn't allow a dog just to wonder around trying to survive on it's own, it would have been picked up and kept safe. It would never have grown to a pack of 30 dogs. People have the opinion that cats can survive on their own, no problem.
Thanks L4. It's ok. I've come to the conclusion that I can't state my feelings without a thread being locked. It's alright. I'll deal with it. I'm just upset that now it's coming from people I considered friends.

Old February 15th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Yes, I do keep bringing it up. I apologize for that. I suppose it's like anyone else who has a passion for something. It's part of their normal, everyday thing. Like breathing. I wish it were only numbers I was going on. It isn't.
I don't want to turn this thread into a pissing match at all. In fact I don't want to turn Pets into that. So I will from now on stay silent about my passion. I'm sorry one more time.
You have ABSOLUTELY nothing to apologize for. You are entitled to your opinions.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 15th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:

I didnt say she was hurting anyone L4H ....not once did I mention that...
You are right, she didn't hurt anybody, but your post hurt her feelings

I guess I was posting about how I felt too! guess thats not acceptable by the group here....I guess I dont fit into that clique....
Then it should have been a PM, you were specifically condemning her for her feelings

No worries 14+ my comments are done.....you can say as much as you like I never said you couldnt just wondered why it keeps popping into these threads that go to hell in a handbasket real fast.
You know why threads get closed, because members get off topic and start critisizing (sp) other members for their opinions, then the defending of posts goes back and forth.

go for it I will join Sylvie in the No Pissing Match section!!
Geesh, just leave her alone to her opinions.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Geesh L4H I though everyone had a right to their feelings? I guess you dont care about my feelings? not that I matter to anyone on here but if you want to pick apart issues then fine who cares that my feelings get hurt everytime this issue comes up and a argument persues?.

I dont think I condemed 14+ where the heck did you get that? I just asked why its always brought up? thats a pretty easy questions? doesnt sound like condemnation from me?

I really dont think I hurt 14+ feelings??

Why would I wont to take this to a PM? I am not arguing all I did was ask a question??
Well, admittedly, I don't know if she was embarrassed by it, I know I was absolutely floored when I read your post and then Sylvie's right after yours.

Who cares if she brings it up a million times , it's not hurting anybody.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I really dont think I hurt 14+ feelings??
As I said in post #46 - I'm just upset that now it's coming from people I considered friends.

Now let's all drop this and go back to what is important. The cats. It does not matter if my feelings are hurt. I'll get over it.

Old February 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
150% PRO S/N

The FB page says that they have considered farms for the cats that are left. These are not feral cats. These are all cats that have been owned at one point in their life and have been thrown away. Perfectly adoptable for most of them.
One poster said she was in contact with a vet college who may take them. Unfortunately I am not sure that is the answer either. I would hate to see anything happen to them there... ei: being used for guinea pigs.

Any ideas anyone? I know some of you are from that area. Are you spreading the word among your friends to see if they can help? Maybe even just offer a room? They really need to find homes before more are taken. Three now.

Old February 15th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
The FB page says that they have considered farms for the cats that are left. These are not feral cats. These are all cats that have been owned at one point in their life and have been thrown away. Perfectly adoptable for most of them.
One poster said she was in contact with a vet college who may take them. Unfortunately I am not sure that is the answer either. I would hate to see anything happen to them there... ei: being used for guinea pigs.

Any ideas anyone? I know some of you are from that area. Are you spreading the word among your friends to see if they can help? Maybe even just offer a room? They really need to find homes before more are taken. Three now.
I am racking my brain trying to think of somebody.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I am racking my brain trying to think of somebody.

That's all we can do. My $$s are stretched now feeding my gang. Everybody I talk to at work with rescues are full up. There's just no place around here. You'd think with TO being so big there would be enough people around that could make room for a few cats. What's a spare room? A basement? Even a dog crate would be preferable to the coyotes.

Old February 15th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Does anyone have a personal contact number for any of the rescuers or a way to reach them other than facebook? I am thinking perhaps I could forward it to the AWA here in Hamilton.

If you do please pm me as I wont be updating here anymore.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
-

Here is their email addy:

bluffscats@hotmail.com
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks Chris I will forward that to them...see ya !
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:30 PM
-

This was just posted on their FB wall

********Scarborough Bluffs Feral Cats

Well... it looks like someone definitely has a hate on for the cats. Today someone tore down our scarecrow which we set up to scare off the coyotes. They also broke up the styrofoam pads that we put out for the cats to sit on and threw them all in the garbage. Hopefully we can get the rest of the cats out of there before they start to vent their anger on the actual cats*******
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
-

Just want to share

Name:  sbcats 2.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  122.6 KB

Name:  sbcats.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  76.5 KB
Old February 15th, 2011, 02:40 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
This was just posted on their FB wall

********Scarborough Bluffs Feral Cats

Well... it looks like someone definitely has a hate on for the cats. Today someone tore down our scarecrow which we set up to scare off the coyotes. They also broke up the styrofoam pads that we put out for the cats to sit on and threw them all in the garbage. Hopefully we can get the rest of the cats out of there before they start to vent their anger on the actual cats*******
I read that last night Chris. People are just freakin' idiots!! They know who did this. I don't know why charges can't be laid. Public mischief or something.

Old February 15th, 2011, 02:53 PM
-

Quote:
I read that last night Chris. People are just freakin' idiots!! They know who did this. I don't know why charges can't be laid. Public mischief or something.
All they have to say is that they were cleaning the place up ....no doubt some folks around there would agree with whoever is doing it
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:02 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
All they have to say is that they were cleaning the place up ....no doubt some folks around there would agree with whoever is doing it
I'm at a loss.

Old February 15th, 2011, 03:05 PM
150% PRO S/N

For the one encouraging people to call vet schools.... Does anyone know what exactly they DO to these cats they get? It can't be the way she makes it sound... evaluation and see if they are adoptable.

Old February 15th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Coyotes dining

There is a 'protected' colony of cats behind the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, they're vaccinated, spayed/neutered and fed and very much loved by the tourists and admirers who visit daily. I don't know who is in charge of these cats but it might be worth your while to see if the remaining cats from Toronto could be included in that group.
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:24 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
There is a 'protected' colony of cats behind the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, they're vaccinated, spayed/neutered and fed and very much loved by the tourists and admirers who visit daily. I don't know who is in charge of these cats but it might be worth your while to see if the remaining cats from Toronto could be included in that group.
The group at Parliament is not accepting more cats into it. They want to keep the ones they have and no more. Any cats that are being dropped off already are taken to the HS. They claim the colony won't accept any other cats.
I did suggest on their FB page that they try to see if they could get the city to go along with the idea of doing their own "Parliament". It would be a good draw for that area and will bring in some tourist $$$$. Seeing as politicians think $$ first they may consider. But that doesn't take care of the problem now. The cats need to be moved asap. It sounds to me like the idiots causing the problems are not going to give up.
Where are the officials when you need them? They should be down there at night with the volunteers watching the coyotes trying to get free meals.

Old February 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,what happened here
I think we all are out of whack because of what is happening to these poor beautiful cats,I know I think about them before going to sleep and when I wake up.
We are all friends with one passion,animals....I know mf 14+ is heartbroken over this,as I think most of us are,not being able to help...
I just cannot handle a new mature cat with my 2 right now,I am feeling really old and useless
I have called around,even asked my vet,who has 2 office-cats,but there is nobody...

What about the TSH,what do they say about cats being eaten by Coyotes?
The OSPCA?or any other cat-rescue??
Not that I want them to end up being euthenized .....
Are they not supposed to protect animals and prosecute the evil person who is doing them harm
A veterinary college could be worse than living at the Bluff and on a strange farm,they would just vanish...in to the unknown.....and more Coyotes.

Yes,I know I am babbling on,but it's just so darn sad...