Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 29th, 2004, 09:03 PM

Poodle acting wierd :(

I found out today that one of my friends had been seeing a little black poodle wandering around a local interstate, and being the sympathetic person I am, i went and found it, and brought it home. i put it inside our garage to keep it away from our other pets, just in case. i noticed right away that he was not acting right. i brought him food and water, and he drank about half a cup, and then threw it up. he also whines when he tries to get comfortable, and he acts really tired. i am hoping these symptoms are just a result of being out in the cold for a few days, and not something serious. his eyes are also a little goopy, and he acts like he has a hurt leg. One more thing that struck me as odd, was that when i took him outside to pee he didnt lift a leg, he just stood there and peed. i hate it when these things happen, and the last few animals my family has taken in have been put to sleep for things like feline lukemia and the like....any help would be appreciated, i am taking him to the vet tomorrow, although it really scares me to take him....im afraid he will have something bad....please let me know if you have any ideas about what could be wrong with this little guy, i hate the not knowing part....

AMH
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

He could be scared, injured, sick, young (Den-Den didn't learn to lift his leg til he was 4yo) or a combination of all of these things. He could be lost, dumped, who knows? He needs to be looked at as soon as possible by a vet. Bless you for taking him in. He wouldn't be able to survive out there. Has he been clipped? Is his hair matted? Poodles show it if they've been neglected or have been cared for. If there are indications he has been cared for, he probably will have had his shots. Please keep us updated on this little guys condition.
Old December 29th, 2004, 09:48 PM

I just checked on him again, and he drank a lot of water, only to throw it up when i took him out to pee. there is now solids in his vomit, only fluid and he seems to have the dry heaves for a minute after he throws up. he lifted his leg a little this time, but im worried about him drinking too much water. I had to hide the bowl beside the bed i made for him, because if he can see it he struggles to get up and then he drinks to no end. i let him have a little more when i brought him back in, and he didnt throw up that i know of, i got him to lay down and i tucked him in with some blankets, and he went to sleep. he looks extremely good as far as i can tell, his fur is nice and curly, and short, looks like he has been groomed, but i dont know. he whines alot, when i pick him up and when he puts his head down to sleep. he has some gray in his coat, so i am wondering if he is older. he hasnt eaten yet, and still doesnt show any emotions....

i am not sure if these forums allow uploads, so i will take a picture and link it to a post next time i check in on him, i want him to get some sleep, he seems exhausted.
Old December 29th, 2004, 10:08 PM

i am extremely worried now, after reading the post about the daschund that passed away, because the symptoms are exactly the same- drinking lots of water, throwing up, yelping when you touch him, i dont know what to think, i hope he makes it through the night....i dont know what could be wrong with him
Old December 29th, 2004, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

If the gray is on his face and paws, he could also be turning silver. Silver poodles are born black and then turn gray. He sounds exhausted. Sleep can only be good for him. Anxious to hear what the vet has to say. When you give him water, give him a small amount, wait a while and then give him a small amount again. Too much at a time may make him vomit. Is he keeping the food down? Also give him the food in several small amounts over a period of time, not all at once. He may have been loose for several days and starving and dehydrated. If so, he may gorge on food and water faster than his body can handle it. I hope he has been microchipped. The vet can scan him to check for it. I'll be worrying about him tonight. If he was my dog, I'd be frantic and heartsick. Thanks for caring for him. He was badly in need of a friend!
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:07 PM

he hasnt eaten anything, but i left a little plate of food for him and about 1/2 cup of water. i really hope its something easy to fix, so we can find him a home and get him healthy again. he is either really old, or very tired. every time he puts his head down, he makes a pittiful sound....i feel bad because hes in my garage, and its around 50 degrees down there....i covered him up and i plan on checking on him a few more times before i go to sleep.
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I would get him to the vet asap. Given that he is a stray, he may even have been hot by a car and be masking his pain somehow. Poor little guy!! I hope you find out what is ailing him soon!!
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:26 PM

taking him to the vet tomorrow morning. just checked on him one last time, and he is sound asleep, curled up in a box with alot of old tshirts and rags on him to keep him warm. my dad has to fly a trip in the morning, so he will check on him when he gets up. if he is okay, we will keep him for a little while until we find a good home for him.
Old December 30th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Senior Contributor

He may have a family that is looking for him. During holiday festivities, it is so easy for a little dog to slip out the door when family and friends are going in and out. Everyone is busy and no one is keeping on eye on him or notices. Likewise, he may have gotten out of the car when stopped for gas. If he looks groomed, he most likely is lost, not abandoned. But if you can't find his family, it'll be easy to find a home for him. Have you checked for "lost dog" ads? This may be the first safe shelter he's had in days! How did you pick him up? Did he go to you readily?
Old December 30th, 2004, 12:18 AM

well, he was under a truck at a gas station, and i pulled him out from under it because he looked like he couldnt walk. there are no houses or apartments near where i found him, and no collar. its also about 20 mins away from where i live, i just happened to be in that area. if we cant find the owners, we may keep him or find soeone who will. right now i am just sick to my stomach, because i dont know what is wrong with him, and it kills me to think that he might have to be put down today if anyone has any idea what he might have, please let me know, i have been looking stuff up for the past 4 hours, and i dont get a very good vibe about his symptoms. i just hope that its something a little medicine can fix :sad:
Old December 30th, 2004, 12:37 AM

If you have a dryer, you could pop a few towels into it for a few minutes (until warm to touch), and try to put them under the pooch, (especially neck and hips) and bundle a few around him. That might help keep him warm, and feeling "secure", also good for arthritis.
Keep us UTD on progress. Goodluck. :love:
Old December 30th, 2004, 12:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Think positive and let the vet check him over. That's where he'll have the best chance of surviving if there is a problem. Poor little guy! I'll be waiting to hear how it goes. If it's bad, at least he won't be cold, alone, scared, and suffering. You're right. The dreading and not knowing part is the pits! :sad:
Old December 30th, 2004, 02:24 AM
banned user

Andrew

What a darling you are for going to look for the little thing & bringing him home. Not many left in the world... like you

I'm so glad to here you are bringing him to the vet tomorrow. I hope it isn't anything that a little time & TLC :love: can't cure.

Yes this site allows uploads of pictures of -100k. Just hit the "manage attachments" button / choose the pic / hit the "upload" button & click submit reply. Can't wait to see the little bugger.

Please keep us posted with updates.
Old December 30th, 2004, 01:20 PM

little update....got up this morning to check on him, he went to the bathroom. he wont drink anymore water, even though he acts like he wants some. he looks weaker today, has trouble standing and he hasnt eaten a thing yet. here is a picture i just took, maybe someone can help me out with his age. Vet appointment at 2:30, so we'll see. i am trying to stay positive, but i am preparing myself for the worst.

Picture
Old December 30th, 2004, 01:27 PM
banned user

My guess maybe 4. He is quite a cutie! So Andrew... have you thought of a name for him?

Any way to get him to drink a sip or two of water?

Hurry back here afterwards and let us know what the vet said. Crossing my fingers that it's something minor.

Cutie Patootie
Attached Images

Old December 30th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Unhappy

Our thoughts are with you, best of luck at the vet today. Please let us know the outcome..........

Thanks very much for helping this little guy, when He's better, I'm certain he'll thank you enough for all of us.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 30th, 2004, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor baby! I'll be waiting to hear how he does at the vet. It's so sad. Poodles are not able to fend for themselves and he's lucky you came along. Hopefully all he'll need is some antibiotics, rest, and love. Where are you located? I'm wondering what conditions he's had to endure.
Old December 30th, 2004, 02:12 PM

he has gone through a few of the coldest nights i can remember in GA. the guy i talked to said he had been around for 3/4 days, and the lows at night got into the 20s, sometimes lower. we are leaving now for the vet, and i can only pray that he doesnt have to be put to sleep....like i said, just by being around him and watching what he does, he looks really bad....we will just have to see what the vet says, i will let you all know as soon as i get back.

BTW, we named him shadow during the drive home, because he followed my friend around all day at the gas station. plus, hes black.
Old December 30th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info! That also gives me a time frame. You're 3 hours ahead of me. Best of luck to little Shadow at the vet! Cute name. Waiting to hear.
Old December 30th, 2004, 04:29 PM

we just got back....he had to be put down :sad: he was diabetic, rather old, and was having some kidney/liver problems. his blood sugar level was 600, as opposed to being normal at 100. the Vet said that he could have gotten better, but it wasnt likely, and he would have suffered more. as sad as it is, im glad he didnt die out in the cold. the Vet said he wouldnt have lasted another day without medication, so we had to let him go even though we had him for less than 24 hours, its just as sad as losing one of our own pets. rest in peace little guy
Old December 30th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor little Shadow,at least he had a guardian in the end,so sorry :sad:
Old December 30th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Andrew, I'm so sorry! Please know that if he had been my dog, I would be eternally grateful to you for all you have done. At least he died peacefully and with someone who cared about him. Thank you for being there for him.
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:06 PM

i feel a little better about it now, it still stinks that we couldnt help him more....and it sure does make me realize how much i would miss my brittany spaniel and 2 cats if they died. back in 99' we had to put my mom's 18 year old tabby down, that was sad....but i was over 5 years ago, and i was only 13.....i didnt really have a connection with that cat. ive had penny since she was a puppy, and we adopted one cat as a kitten, the other we took in about a year ago....i really wish we could have done more for him, but he would have had a long arduous road to a full recovery, the Vet said he would be worse off than he was before. i feel kind of guilty too, the vet asked me if i wanted to hold him while he went to sleep, or if i wanted to see him one last time and i couldnt do it.... i know they had him under a heated blanket, and the Vet said that he was sleeping, so he probably didnt even know anything was going on.
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

He most likely just knew he was warm and comfortable for the first time in days. And then he was not hurting anymore. Give Penny a hug from us too and a to you! Hope we'll hear more from you in happier circumstances. You have a good heart!
Old December 30th, 2004, 07:13 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

so sorry

So sorry to hear that the little guy was not meant to make it. At least he died with dignity and a feeling of having been loved. That counts for a ton. Good of you to have done so much for him.
Old December 30th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Oh my...

I am so sorry. I wanted to reply earlier...got kinda bound down with computer problems..

Thank you for making sure he was walked through his final moments. No living creature, 2 or with four legs should ever face their final destiny alone.

Sail on Shadow and Gods speed..
Old December 30th, 2004, 11:52 PM

the little guy didn't make it.You did such a great thing for him no matter how difficult it was .That pic looks so much like my dog OB it actually made my heart stop!He lives in mississauga now with my aunt.OB is 13 years old and my(human) boys were too much for him :sad: He's king in her house now.....I keep calling to make sure it's not him but there is no answer.I'm about ready to make a long road trip.
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:14 AM

It's not my little guy....I also just noticed you typed your in GA .I feel terrible and I wonder if his owners were looking for him :sad: He had to have had a haircut not that long ago.....I can see his eyes in the pic.His haircut looks like a do it yourself job .....been there ,done that.
Old December 31st, 2004, 12:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy

for that little poodle. Made me :sad: to know such a little one was sick and alone. I gave Missie a extra hug tonight. On Monday night rainbow bridge has a candle service for all pets that go to the bridge. I am going to light a candle for that little dog you called Shadow. Thank you for being there for him.
Old December 31st, 2004, 02:01 AM
banned user

Oh Andrew :sad: . I'm so sorry to hear this. I was hoping it would have been something minor.
You know though... if it hadn't been for you, taking the time to go look for him, the little guy would still be under that truck now. Instead he would have inevitably passed on, scared, cold, thirsty and all alone. I know this may not be very much consolation... but to him it made a world of difference.

May I add... you are a Sweetheart. I don't know to many 18 year olds that would have done... as you did.