Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 23rd, 2001, 07:15 PM

cat is losing fur on belly

My 3-1/2 year old orange tabby cat seems to be losing her fur on her lower belly. After she was fixed, all the fur grew back but now she has this big bald spot. I don't notice her licking it at all (at least not more than usual) I do have a 1-year old child who is walking all over the place and is always after the cat. Could it be stress from the baby who won't leave the cat alone?? Or should I have her looked at. Please help Thanks
Old November 22nd, 2001, 01:03 AM

I had a tabby cat who did the same thing. I can't remember if it only started after her spaying or not, though. She licked it off and, to be honest, it didn't really look like any extra licking was occurring. I didn't do anything about it because otherwise she was perfectly normal and you couldn't see it unless you flipped her over. However, I have a relative who had a cat doing the same thing and she took it to the vet. The vet determined that the cat was indeed stressed and put it on a permanent course of medicine (no idea what it was). The cat no longer licks its stomach and the fur has grown back. You may want to look into that...