Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Need to know about STEROIDS

Hi again, I finally got my Boston E-Screened. Negative twice. That means no common allergies to food, or environment. We now are considering steroids to make her comfortable. What's everyone's point of view who has had experience with this? I was thinking of a hollistic vet now, just taking a break, spent one thousand dollars on a dermatologist vet, that does not include stuff with the family vet. We do believe (the vet and I) that it's poor breeding and or genetic.............pet shop dog (I knew better) but it doesn't change the fact that she is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever had. She deserves a good life.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 03:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you're willing to go hollistic, I think I'd be inclined to try that first. Steroids are a powerful medicine and they work great to reduce itching and inflammation--but they are also quite harsh and have a multitude of side effects especially if used long-term or at high dosages. I've had no experience with hollistic vets, but have had some experience with steroid meds, and would be willing to give alternative remedies a chance unless the problem were very acute.

Good luck with your Boston

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 23rd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

We had jag on a steroid once.it caused him to urinate a lot more.he would be standing leaking.and i find it is harder for him to hold it like he used to.i would really think twice before i put him on them again.

I agree i would look at going holistic first.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 05:17 PM

IMO Its hard for dogs (or people) to get over what is bothering them with the antibiotics and steroids, as most of the time this just masks the problem and in the end makes it worst. We went thru a horrible bought of allergies and tests with Luke and the original vet had him on all sorts of antibiotics and medicated creams and such. We basically took him back to square one. Elimination diet and also stopped all meds. It took a long time but eventually it cleared up and now he is as healthy as a horse (sort of speak). I had a few of vets tell me that he would need to be on steriods and antibiotics for the rest of his life. He hasn't been on any of that for over 5 years. Good luck
Lovey - Female Fawn Boxer (RESCUE)
Anakin - Male Brindle Boxer (RESCUE)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

Boxer Rescue - www.rescueaboxer.com
Scentsy - www.ilovescents.ca