Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 15th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Simple seems to work!

I think I found the clue!! First kitties do not like beef!! Makes sense I have yet to see a domestic house cat take down a cow!! Bayley had an extra special treat for dinner thanks to the cats not wanting their beef. I got some Almo for them to try and everybody really enjoyed it, chicken and pumpkin in broth, some of those foods are just crazy with the combos. I got a can of rabbit and will see how that goes over. I gave them some orijen crunchies and they like them but don't devour them like they do the junk food crunchies.
Old May 16th, 2013, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
First kitties do not like beef!! Makes sense I have yet to see a domestic house cat take down a cow!!
Don't tell Carrot that! He's all about the red meat, the bigger the better. Bison is a huge favourite of his. And I reckon that if he and Peppercorn ganged up on one, they might manage to bring it down. Or at least bite its ankles off.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 16th, 2013, 08:23 AM

I used to feed mine pork (don't think they can bring down a pig in the wild either?), which they liked. Then I switched to chicken, which they absolutely LOVE. So now that's what I use exclusively for the raw portion of their diet. It's only a complement to their existing diet, which includes both wet and dry, but there's no doubt which meal they look forward to the most. The instant I start removing the saran wrap from a portion of chicken, the cats bound into the kitchen.

For my cats, I think the consistency/texture of the food is as important as the type of meat. I've tried feeding mine canned bison and beaver. They weren't crazy about it, I suspect because it was a little too dry for them. They like very saucy canned food - the more moist, the better.
Old May 16th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Hahah, just can picture a couple of cats gnawing on a bison's ankles!! They do like pork. The Almo chicken is a hit, even Coco was yelling for breakfast this morning, so I gave them a can of Blue Wilderness chicken with a can of the Almo chicken, no complaints. I'm going to get some dehydrated raw to try on them. Where do you get beaver? I would imagine that's a pretty strong, gamey flavour.
Old May 17th, 2013, 07:34 PM

It was Holistic Gourmet Beaver - the Global Pet Foods store I go to occasionally give me a complimentary can of new products they have. It's marketed for both cats and dogs. I'm sure if I had done a proper slow introduction of the food to their diet, they may have taken to it better, but I figured their current diet isn't too bad now, so I didn't want to change their diet just for the sake of doing so.
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Ha a little searching around and there is a store here in town that carries Honest Kitchen and some other good brands of food! Happy, now I can just go to Calgary to visit and not worry about dragging food home on the bus! Gonna go tomorrow as Bayley is out of everything!