Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Am I a horrible cat owner? Please help...

I have two cats who I LOVE unconditionally. My husband and I have had Mylo for 5 years, and we got Max for a companion for her a little over a year ago. My problem is that I feel we aren't able to give them the attention they need and they NEED a lot of it. They aren't like the 'sterotypical' cats that most people claim cats are like: independent. They need attention 24/7 and when they don't get it they yowl or rip things up like little puppies or open cupboard doors and get into the dishes or Max will just attack Mylo out of nowhere and poor Mylo hisses and runs away only to get attacked again. They are horribly messy eaters and the wet food I feed them ends up on the walls, the floor, the furniture. They play in it so they track it all over the house. When they aren't being trouble makers, they are the best cuddlers anyone could ask for. They are so sweet and Max will put his paw on my face or Mylo will nuzzle into me, and I love them so much because I know how much they love my husband and I. But I can never seem to look past the cat hair all over EVERYTHING despite taking almost an hour every other night to brush them, the litter that I find tracked into our bed sheets, poop outside of the litter box despite spic-and-span litter and coming home to a 'whoof-of-air' that smells like cat box and wet cat food....plus, my husband and I are going to start a family soon and I do not want my baby crawling around with cat hair stuck to it's chin or clothes, and picking up cat litter that the cats tracked all through the house. I feel horrible for wanting them to find a new home, but I'm also SO picky about them going to a new home because I want them to be loved as much as I love them, and I don't want them to be scared. So I just don't know what to do....any advice to make me want to quit the 'want' to get rid of my fur-babies? My patience has been tried over and over and over again, and I just feel like I want them to be in a home where they aren't viewed by their owner as a nuisance 80% of the time...thank you.. oh and please no negative comments...i really am struggling emotionally with making a decision...

Last edited by max&mylo; June 13th, 2010 at 09:19 PM.