Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 26th, 2008, 12:54 PM

Question Labradors

Hi, I have an 8 month old, female black Labrador and I was wondering if anyone knows at what age they usually first go into heat?
Old April 26th, 2008, 01:44 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

I don't know when they go into heat necessarily but at 8 months old she is old enough to spay.

This is a very pro spay/neuter board so if you are considering breeding and don't have a mentor you could ask such a basic question of then you may not enjoy the responses this question will garner here.

Many of our members work in rescue and there are already too many dogs in world. Please consider what you are planning to do with your pup if you are planning on breeding.
Old April 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM

I'm not planning to breed her. It's just that right now I don't have the money to get her spayed. If she's old enough to get pg. then I want to keep her away from any male dogs.
Old April 26th, 2008, 03:49 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

If she is old enough to go into heat then she is old enough to get pregnant so I would definitely keep her on a short leash until you have been able to get her spayed, hopefully in the very near future.

What is her name? How long have you had her?

When you have made enough posts people are going to want to see pictures...FYI

I am glad you are not planning on breeding her but be very careful it does not happen anyways. That would be very sad.
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
If she is old enough to go into heat then she is old enough to get pregnant so I would definitely keep her on a short leash until you have been able to get her spayed, hopefully in the very near future.

What is her name? How long have you had her?

When you have made enough posts people are going to want to see pictures...FYI

I am glad you are not planning on breeding her but be very careful it does not happen anyways. That would be very sad.

Thanx. Her name is Sapphire Rose, she is 8 months and growing like a weed. I have tons of pics I'd like to post whenever I can. She's a beautiful pup, but spoiled rotten and she tries to imitate me quite a lot. Makes me laugh! I got her back in November for my B-Day.
Old April 26th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Doggie Wench

Welcome to pets.ca MissDorsie and Sapphire Rose . I have a "thing" for black Labs .

Your pup can go into heat at any time now so please keep a careful watch on her. Never leave her unattended, even for a minute, ok?

Seeing you received her as a gift for your birthday, perhaps you can ask the gift-giver for an early spay gift this year ? I couldn't think of a better present to give to both you and Saphire Rose.
Old April 26th, 2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Welcome to pets.ca MissDorsie and Sapphire Rose . I have a "thing" for black Labs .

Your pup can go into heat at any time now so please keep a careful watch on her. Never leave her unattended, even for a minute, ok?

Seeing you received her as a gift for your birthday, perhaps you can ask the gift-giver for an early spay gift this year ? I couldn't think of a better present to give to both you and Saphire Rose.
I try to keep a tight rein on her, but she has learned how to open the screen door and then the chase is on! She loves to play keep away.
So far as that gift...fat chance! My boyfriends son gave her to me and he's always broke. In fact, he got her (and her twin) free from an adopt-a-pet program. They were rejected by the breeder cause they were the runts of the litter. :-)
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Investigative researcher

I knew a lab that got pregnant at 7 mths once--so you have a problem--best get her spayed asap--much healthier for her and cheaper for you before she goes into heat.
Old April 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDorsie View Post
I'm not planning to breed her. It's just that right now I don't have the money to get her spayed.
I suggest you call a few rescues in your area , ask them if they know about affordable vets or special programs to help with the cost of the spay.
Old April 27th, 2008, 03:09 PM
-

More and more veterinarians are now offering the Care Credit Plan which allows you to make payments for vet services.
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
More and more veterinarians are now offering the Care Credit Plan which allows you to make payments for vet services.
Thanx, but I don't have any credit cards. I don't make enough dough-re-mi to rate getting one, and believe me I've applied for several!
Old April 27th, 2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I suggest you call a few rescues in your area , ask them if they know about affordable vets or special programs to help with the cost of the spay.
I'll check around and see, but I have never heard of any around here. Our county Humane Society doesn't offer that service, either. Just like Rabies shots and I still need to get her that, too. I have been planning to, but something extra always pops up that keeps us broke. I have no control over the money here. Usually I only get $100.00 per week for gas and groceries.
Old April 28th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Welcome, and I too have a thing for black labs ...I dont have one of my own tho :sad:...but a girl can dream right? I'm a sucker for their soulful eyes, goofy grins and boung boung bouncy energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I think what rainbow meant was finance thru your vet - credit care thru your vet, not a credit card...if your vet is a good one and appreciates those who rescue, they may help you out...never hurts to ask for assistance, especially if you are not in the position to keep her away from male dogs 100% of the time - puppies will cost you a fortune compared to the spay.

Good luck and keep posting so we can see some pictures of your baby.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old April 28th, 2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
Welcome, and I too have a thing for black labs ...I dont have one of my own tho :sad:...but a girl can dream right? I'm a sucker for their soulful eyes, goofy grins and boung boung bouncy energy.

I think what rainbow meant was finance thru your vet - credit care thru your vet, not a credit card...if your vet is a good one and appreciates those who rescue, they may help you out...never hurts to ask for assistance, especially if you are not in the position to keep her away from male dogs 100% of the time - puppies will cost you a fortune compared to the spay.

Good luck and keep posting so we can see some pictures of your baby.

Thanks for setting me straight on the credit thing, Ford Girl!
Boy are you ever right about their unending source of energy, I can barely keep up with her once she gets started! She's a great beggar and she winks at me alot. I could go on-and-on, but will do that in the braging section later.