Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Unhappy Just back from E-vet with Tabitha

Well just got back from the emergency animal hospital with Tabitha. She scared the living hell out of me after work today. I got home made supper and we just sat down to eat and she started wondering around in the crouching position to urinate and was leaving a trail of blood as she went. So off we went since the regular vet was closed for the day.

The e-vet checked her over and suspect that she has either a urinary infection, a reoccurance of idepathic cystitis again, or a tumor.
She checked out physically. Although her bladder wall feels very thick and her kidneys are really really tiny. The e-vet was awesome. He said that because I have done such extensive workups in the past year that I should see my regular vet first thing tomorrow. He confirmed that she is not critical so I could take her home. He said although he could do all the tests that he suspects will be done he felt it best for me to see them??

He also wanted to put her on an antibiotic but felt that it would mess up any workups that they may want to do tomorrow.

So we are home and she is having a nap! I dont think she liked all the poking and proding he was doing.

The worst thing tonight was that it will be 1 yr ago on July 12th that I lost Bomber. Wow it home and hurt let me tell you!

I hope tomorrow is a better day!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
The e-vet was awesome. He said that because I have done such extensive workups in the past year that I should see my regular vet first thing tomorrow. He confirmed that she is not critical so I could take her home. He said although he could do all the tests that he suspects will be done he felt it best for me to see them??
Meaning the e-vet thought it would be best for you to see the regular vet since they have her history & know what antibiotics/meds etc have/have not worked for her in the past. It's of course also cheaper to have her home for the night & tested at the reg vet plus you wouldn't necessarily have gotten the test results back before morning anyways.

Had the blood stopped by the time the vet saw her?

for tomorrows visit

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Senior Contributor

sending up positive thoughts and prayers for today.
Old July 6th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Half Way To Crazy

for Tabitha and you coming your way
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Add my as well please
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 6th, 2011, 09:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Poor Tabitha! And poor Mom!! How is she feeling this morning?

Sending lots of for the vet visit!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

coming your way...Is she feeling better?
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks guys, I dont think she is feeling all that well. She cried quite a bit last night and she doesnt seem to want to settle down at all. I found quite a few droplets of blood around the house this morning.

I dropped her off this morning and of course she had an empty bladder! The vet said that they are hopeful its not a tumor. They actually think that she has become immune to the antibiotics she has been taking to help with the ecoli infection she had earlier in the year. So likely the infection hasnt completely gone away. They will give her Sub Q to help produce a sample.

All I know at this point is that she is stressed and so is her Mommy!

Thank you everyone for the positive vibes! lets hope they work!

I'll post later once I have more
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Awww Winston, I'm sorry you and Tabitha are dealing with this
I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers and hope that it is just a nasty infection that a new antibiotic will clear up!!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
They actually think that she has become immune to the antibiotics she has been taking to help with the ecoli infection she had earlier in the year. So likely the infection hasnt completely gone away.

Make sure they plan to send the urine sample out for a culture and sensitivity. That's the only way to know what type of bacteria she might have and which antibiotics it should be susceptible to.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 6th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Yes SCM thats why she is there! she has such a teeny bladder too!

They are going to do an inhouse check on it and then send a portion out for culture and sensitivity.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I am so sorry about Tabitha,hopefully everything will turn out ok with her
I'ts hard to believe it has been a year since Bombers passing and almost a year for Rocky
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I know Chico it will be 1 yr on the 12th for me. It still hurts so badly! I guess I know what people mean when they say they were their "heart" animal. Having to rush her to the vet last night brought it all back to me and boy was I upset. I do hope in my heart that Bomber is playing with Rocky and all the others that have gone before us! I do feel a tad bit better today but my "baby" isnt here and now they want to keep her overnight...

Its sad to say the house feels rather empty even though Winston is here......
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 6th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I really,really understand,every night I kiss Rockys little cedar-box and tell him I miss him and always will,he too was my heart-boy and will never be forgotten.
ITabitha will be ok
Old July 6th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well the vet called and said they got the sample and she could come home. The sample was taken via Cystocentesis. They had a look at it there and she said it was full of both red and white bloods cells. My understanding is the red is a sign of some form of inflamation and the white is a sign of infection.

They prescribed her something she has never had before. Its called Chlor Palm. A liquid medication that she has to be given with a syringe orally! wow that should be fun! actually I am going to try it on her food first and see if she will eat it. So I have to sit and wait now.

Thanks again everyone! her mommy is glad she is home for the night.....
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 6th, 2011, 06:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

she'll take it on food! That always makes it so much easier!

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the C&S results to come back.

Feel better quickly, Tabitha!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel they said 5 days turnaround? sooner the better! Mind you at the very least she is getting something for an infection anyway??

She seems a bit tired tonight and sleeping in an unusual spot for her the dining room chair?? she hasnt done that for years?? oh well as long as she is happy.

I gave her the first dose of meds when we came home and put it directly on the food and she ate it. Not all of it but a bit. She didnt seem to have her nose out of joint because of anything on it?? but with cats that only last a couple of days at most and then they snub it but I am hoping not. (you know the old saying the novelty wears off! thats her pretty quick!)
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 6th, 2011, 08:42 PM
You can call me DOG!

Wishing a speedy recovery for Tabitha and to you both.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sending lots of that she makes a very speedy recovery.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 7th, 2011, 09:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Did she finally finish off the food, Winston? Might be hard to determine how much of the proper dose she's getting if she doesn't eat it all.

How is she doing today? Did she seem any better this morning?

Old July 7th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel I think she got most of it. She went back later for a bit more.

I fed her again this morning and she ate all of her teaspoon full with the meds in it! She went right back to sleep so I suspect now that she isnt feeling quite right yet.

On the positive side she did her usual meowing session for food as soon as I opened my eyes this morning! thats typical of her! so that made me feel a bit better.

L4H thanks for the well wishes.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 7th, 2011, 10:48 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

She may not feel quite up to speed, yet, but it sounds like she at least may be feeling some better! That's good! Nice that she's cooperating with the meds.

Old July 12th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well the cooperation with the meds was short lived. I managed to get 2 days worth into her and now she is on to me!

I spoke with the vet late yesterday and the tentative results show a bacteria called Cocci??? not sure of spelling? but they are culturing it to confirm which antibiotic will help deal with it. They would like me to try to continue to give her the meds until the c&s is back in.

She appears to not be urinating outside the box or dropping any more blood so I guess thats a good thing.

I have been pulsing her with a med called Orbax to keep the ecoli out of her system but we wont be using that this month since all of this has happened. She may hav ebecome immune to it??

Now I have to go look up this Cocci?? anyone know anything about that?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Half Way To Crazy

how long do they take for culturing Winston??

hopefully it will not take to long and you will be able to get the right meds so that Tabitha can get back to normal

at least she is not peeing outside the box or having blood
Old July 12th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I have no idea what Cocci is,but hope whatever it is,is not serious
I wish with all the ingenious people out there,someone would come up with something to make medicating cats easier
I found a capsule much easier than a pill,it kind of just slides down,with no bad taste.
Here's hoping for good test-results
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

is that not short form for coccidia? I know its a parasite in dogs intestinal track, they get it from other dogs feces......
Old July 12th, 2011, 08:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Cocci is plural for coccus, which is just any spherical bacteria, so it's a pretty generic term. The C&S will tell them more.

Glad she's feeling some better but I sure hope they can get you a med that will clear her up for good!

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:29 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Not sure if coccidia would infect the urinary tract, Melinda. The dogs have always just had intestinal upset from it.

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I jusr received the info from the vet on Tabitha. She apparently has a "Staph" infection. I dont know much about that type of infection but I probably shouldnt have googled it after I got the message. It sounds like it is contagious?? I am to take her in today and they are going to give her an antibiotic that the lab report on her C&S says should kill it and that is Convenia?? It is apparently a shot that will last 2 weeks.

As I mentioned before I am having no luck at all getting the Chlor Palm into her so I hope this one will work.

Anyone have any experience with this med?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:06 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Staph is a fairly common UTI problem--Priscilla used to get staph UTIs frequently.

There is a thread on the board discussing the benefits and side effects of Convenia:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57265
If you're uncomfortable with the injection, the vet may be able to prescribe an antibiotic in the same family of drugs that is in pill form.

I hope Tabitha is better soon!