Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 29th, 2012, 10:02 PM

Exclamation Help! My cat can't walk!!

I moved out of my house roughly 2 weeks ago, having to leave behind my 3 cats- but checking up on them daily. About a week into it, I noticed they weren't going through their food like usual, so I quickly gathered them up and brought them with me. They had a few fleas so I stopped by the vet, but they didn't have "just flea medicine". I was given Revolution (selamectin) which treats fleas, heartworm, hookworms, roundworm, and ear mites, for 5.1 - 15 lb cats.
About 2 days after giving this to my cat (6 years old & 12 lbs), one night I noticed she was meowing weird. After a few minutes of this I realized she couldn't walk- she was wobbly, mainly loss of control of her back legs, and she kept collapsing. I tried to put her on her feet to see it again, but she arched her back and I think had a seizure, then she threw up a little. The seizing lasted about 30-45 seconds, but she couldn't walk for about 5 minutes. I layed with her, petting her to calm her down, but she just stared at the wall with huge eyes, unaware of her surroundings. At this time I realized I couldn't remember the last time I saw her eat. I keep the food on a table because I have a dog, so I thought she might be too weak to jump. I moved it lower, but all she was interested in was water. I later made her a bowl of wet food, which then sparked her appetite, and she's eating fine now.
I thought this was just a reaction to the medicine because after that spell, she was fine.
About 5 days later (tonight) she started having trouble walking again. She wasn't meowing this time, and almost didn't seem to mind the fact because I was petting her to console her and she was just purring away. I had my hand under her belly, she was leaning hard to the side and if I let her go she would stumble into a table or wall, then collapse over. But then it just went away as quickly as it came on. She's acting normal otherwise.
But, the longer I think about it, I haven't directly seen her use the litter box. I see her eat and drink regularly, but with 2 other cats, all I see is that someone is using the box.
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:19 AM

It's past time to get this kitty to a vet. Beg, borrow or max out a credit card if need be, she needs to be seen right away.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 30th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

100% agree with growler.
Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:26 AM

Sounds more like she is eating something poison rather than the flea medicine.
Old August 30th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neener View Post
I moved out of my house roughly 2 weeks ago, having to leave behind my 3 cats- but checking up on them daily. About a week into it, I noticed they weren't going through their food like usual, so I quickly gathered them up and brought them with me. They had a few fleas so I stopped by the vet, but they didn't have "just flea medicine". I was given Revolution (selamectin) which treats fleas, heartworm, hookworms, roundworm, and ear mites, for 5.1 - 15 lb cats.
About 2 days after giving this to my cat (6 years old & 12 lbs), one night I noticed she was meowing weird. After a few minutes of this I realized she couldn't walk- she was wobbly, mainly loss of control of her back legs, and she kept collapsing. I tried to put her on her feet to see it again, but she arched her back and I think had a seizure, then she threw up a little. The seizing lasted about 30-45 seconds, but she couldn't walk for about 5 minutes. I layed with her, petting her to calm her down, but she just stared at the wall with huge eyes, unaware of her surroundings. At this time I realized I couldn't remember the last time I saw her eat. I keep the food on a table because I have a dog, so I thought she might be too weak to jump. I moved it lower, but all she was interested in was water. I later made her a bowl of wet food, which then sparked her appetite, and she's eating fine now.
I thought this was just a reaction to the medicine because after that spell, she was fine.
About 5 days later (tonight) she started having trouble walking again. She wasn't meowing this time, and almost didn't seem to mind the fact because I was petting her to console her and she was just purring away. I had my hand under her belly, she was leaning hard to the side and if I let her go she would stumble into a table or wall, then collapse over. But then it just went away as quickly as it came on. She's acting normal otherwise.
But, the longer I think about it, I haven't directly seen her use the litter box. I see her eat and drink regularly, but with 2 other cats, all I see is that someone is using the box.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5368730_si...elamectin.html

This web site said vomiting and a loss off loss of appetite are a side effects of the drug. I agree your cat should be taken to the vet , I hope she will recover fast.
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:01 AM

The reaction list on the website provided by the last poster said some animals are allergic. I would discontinue that medication right away and as everyone said to the vet quickly.

Also his page provides a link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Inf...selamectin.pdf and seizures may occur in animals that are allergic apparently.
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittiesandbirds View Post
The reaction list on the website provided by the last poster said some animals are allergic. I would discontinue that medication right away and as everyone said to the vet quickly.

Also his page provides a link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Rx_Inf...selamectin.pdf and seizures may occur in animals that are allergic apparently.
I wish vets would give a list of effects with the drugs . I try to remember to look up the side effects on line to know what kind of symptoms my pet could get.