Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 27th, 2005, 12:27 AM

Question Innova versus Solid Gold?

Can anybody offer any insight into which is better?
I have an 8 month old Chesapeake male (Hudson)which is fairly active, undergoing retriever training currently.
I will be picking up my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (Hannah)in 2 weeks.
As Cavs are known for health problems, and as our Chessie is an active dog who will be in the show and obedience ring I would like to feed them the best food available.
BARF is just not an option for me at this time.
Also, when would you advise switching each dog to adult food? Should we switch our Chessie to adult food when we make this food switch?
I read about the new Innova EVO and was concerned about the high fat content as I have been warned that Cavaliers become overweight easily.
Any comments are appreciated
Are there any foods better than might be readily available?
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I personally would choose the Innova.The ingredients are much better then the Solid Gold.

As for switching to adult,Hudson can be put on it now.With my GSD's,I switched them at 6 months.But when you do switch,remember mix it with with the puppy food first.Do not go straight to the adult.Mix a bit of the old with the new.

As for Hannah(love that name)talk to your breeder.See what they have the pups on.I never had a small dog so I can't help you there.Sorry. :sad:
Old January 27th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I feed my 2 heeler crosses Evo, and I think it's the best food EVER! Evo is actually quite high in protein (almost 43%), so the feeding amounts can be cut down quite a bit. Although, if you find your dog is active, he might not gain weight as easily. I feed my heeler pup, Helix, 2 cups a day, and my older heeler, Red, only 1 1/2 cups a day. They both have different energy levels, and I find that Helix doesn't gain weight as easily as Red. I know a lady with a mastiff (about a good 190 lbs), and she's feeding him less than a cup per feeding! He's actually at a good weight too!

My border collie is on raw food, and my other 2 were for a bit, but it got too expensive. When I heard about Evo being a raw diet in kibble form, I was thrilled! One big bag lasts both of them 1 month. I can't say enough good things about this food. I HIGHLY recommend it!
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:10 PM

The CKCS breeder currently has the pups on ProPlan Growth.
Yup, I know to change it slowly, we started to change Hudson's food the day we got him as he was on Pedigree!
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Ontario Dog Lover

Innova is an excellent food, but very rich, so just see if your dog(s) tolerate it well.
Solid Gold is also very good, but the basic SG has a lower fat content, and when we tried it my dogs got a very dry coat. However they do very well on Solid Gold Wolfking now even with the lower fat content, so just see how your dogs cope with whichever food you choose.
Old January 28th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Herbie the Love Pug's Mom

I use solid gold puppy food mixed with canned (lamb, barley, brown rice and carrots is the mildest and good for puppies) and Herb is doing really well on it, I also use the seameal supplement. He had a little rash when we first got him and this cleared up as soon as he was totally on solid gold. he also loves it, but he's a little pig and loves everything! My mom has had our wheaten Poppy on it all her life and shes a very healthy girl

- Woodrow Wilson