Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products

Old January 11th, 2008, 02:50 AM
-

Question Petzlife

Has anyone used any of the Petzlife dental products?

I have seen them at the pet store here but they are pretty $$$.
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

If this is the liquid and/or gel that is supposed to keep dog's teeth clean, I have seen it and read about it - on the I-Dog forum I think. The lady who boards are Eskie told me about it - was going to check up on it herself - they sell it at Global in Toronto - it is behind the cash so that staff has to get it for you. There are 2 brands - one can be used on humans - and apparently one of the Global owners uses it - doesn't taste good. Apparently the straight dog version doesn't either. From the reviews I read, the company still suggests that you brush the product on to the teeth - and the reviewer had the same problem I do - the dog won't allow the toothbrush in his mouth unless the product tastes good - and if it does, won't let go and if product tastes awful, forget it to begin with. Then there is the gel formulation that isn't supposed to require as much brushing but doesn't taste so hot either. The stuff is pretty strong apparently. I decided to pass and have decided that my dog will most likely need yearly cleanings. He had his 3 year 8 month old teeth cleaned Oct. 17 - excellent teeth, just prone to tartar and breath started to smell bad. On Jan. 5 he had his KC shot and vet said she could see tartar forming again - but also told me that she had her teeth cleaned 3 weeks ago and tartar was back. No matter what our Eskie chews - and Eskies are major chewers he just doesn't "hit" the side top and bottom teeth -no doubt due to face shape. I did buy the poultry toothpaste which he loves but tried to swallow the toothbrush. Then I bought the Dental Kong - he licks the toothpaste from it - no chewing. I smeared some on his favourite chew toy - again just licked it off. I bought dental wipes - he sort of allows me to rub at his teeth but I have to really hold on to the wipe so that he doesn't swallow it - Eskies love anything papery - I also have the rubber finger for toothpaste - what happens is that my finger with the toothpaste is held in his mouth - doesn't bite me but doesn't want to let go in case he doesn't get any more. The "glove" is my last option - vet is getting more in. But bottom line is nothing seems to work. I was given a sample of Wysong - the stuff that looks like parmesan that you sprinkle on food. This left a film on his teeth so he immediately drank a ton of water. I won't add anything to his drinking water. The lady who told me about PetzLife has decided against using it as well. In the meantime, my Eskie has the cleanest tongue in town.
Old January 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM

http://store.vetsbest.com/shopswabs.html#dental

someone on the itchmo forums said that the dental swabs at the above are really good, actually noticed tartar being reduced on their cat and dog when they used them.. i havent tried them myself, and also wanted to check out what neem oil was a bout, best i could find was below..

Neem - One of the best natural or botanical pesticides for controlling bloodfeeding arthropods and other pests is Neem. What is Neem? Neem, a member of the Meliaceae family and a botanical cousin of mahogany, is a tall, fast-growing, evergreen tree which has an attractive crown of deep-green leaves and masses of honey-scented flowers and thrives even in nutrient-poor, dry soil. It tolerates high temperatures, low rainfall, long spells of drought and salinity, and can be propagated by seed. Because of its many benefits, neem has been worshipped as a goddess in India. Neem is bitter in taste. The bitterness is due to the presence of an array of complex compounds called "triterpenes" or more specifically "liminoids". The most important bioactive principle is a terpenoid known as azadirachtin; however, at least 10 other neem limonoids also possess insect growth regulating activity. The tree's scientific name is Azadiractita indica. Neem has been used for centuries primarily against household and storage pests, and to a limited extent against crop pests. Neem trees were the only green thing left standing during a ravaging locust plague in Sudan in 1959. Neem does not kill pests but affects their behavior and physiology and reduces the risk of exposing the pests' natural enemies to poisoned food sources or starvation. Neem derivatives affect more than 200 insect species belonging to Coleoptera, Diptera, Heteroptera, Homoptera, Hymenoptera, Lepidoptera, Orthoptera, Thysanoptera, several species of mites and nematodes, and even noxious snails and fungi. Although neem oil can be used directly for pest control, semi-purified "bitters" and "neem rich" fractions can easily be standardized for biological properties and could satisfy even stringent quality requirements. Being water soluble, they also can be applied as systemic compounds which render them more photostable and nonphytotoxic. A garlic odor often present in other neem products is absent in "bitters". Neem products are effective and relatively hazard-free. An added benefit of using semi-purified neem fractions, rather than pure compounds, is that pests will be less likely to develop resistance. Neem compounds act together on several different behavioral and physiological processes which also helps prevent insects from evolving resistance to the compound. Their effects include repellence, feeding deterrence, reduced ingestion and digestion of food, poor growth and development, reduced longevity and fecundity, mating disruption, oviposition deterrence, inhibition of egg hatchability, molting failures and direct toxicity. Reports suggest that by paralyzing the muscles in the insects' mandibles neem induces starvation. At lower than lethal dozes, azadirachtin also mimics juvenile hormone, preventing insects from maturing. Neem-based insecticides can be further fortified against dynamic pests by optimizing their use with microbials or other botanicals. Neem fruits, seeds, oil, leaves, bark and roots can be used as general antiseptics, antimicrobials for the treatment of urinary disorders, diarrhea, fever, bronchitis, skin diseases, septic sores, infected burns, hypertension and inflammatory diseases. Neem oil and its isolates - nimbidin, nimbidol and nimbin - inhibit fungal growth on humans and animals. Neem leaf extracts and teas are used to treat malaria; ioquin tablets and injections containing neem extract are currently being formulated for treating chronic malaria. Exposing kissing bugs (Rhodnius prolixus), the major vector of Chagas disease in Latin America, to neem extracts or to azadirachtin "immunizes" them against their internal protozoan parasite Trypanosoma cruzi. We are trying it on termites. Cattle leaf supplements containing neem leaf powder are used as worm killers. Creams containing neem oil are used for animal wound dressing and also act as fly and mosquito repellents. Neem oil in human bathing and laundry soap kills lice and neem in dog soaps and shampoos controls ticks and fleas. Neem twigs are used daily by millions in Bangladesh, India and Pakistan as disposable toothbrushes; extracts of neem bark are used in some toothpastes and mouthwashes. Neem plantings also serve as a refuge for honeybees, wasps, spiders, birds, bats and other beneficial organisms, and the litter of falling leaves can improve soil fertility. Neem overall as a relatively safe, natural (botanical) pesticide poison with numerous benefits. Neem nectar does not kill pollinating bees.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:44 AM
-

Their website says they have a money back guarantee.

http://www.petzlife.com/index.html
Old January 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I just got the gel today, so I 'll have to wait and see if it makes a difference.

I just brushed it on no problem, but maybe my dogs are just used to me messing with them in a hundred different ways everyday
Old January 26th, 2008, 03:43 PM
-

Pitgrrl, have you noticed any difference yet?
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:33 PM
-

Bump.

Old February 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Um yes, but not super dramatic. It certainly is doing as good, if not better, a job than other toothpastes I've used and I certainly would continue to use it if only because the ingredients are far less disgusting that regular dog toothpaste, but I wouldn't say it's a miracle cure or anything.

I'll update after some more time, but I don't consider it a waste of $$ at all.
Old August 16th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Does nayone know of somewhere in Canada that I could order this from?

I'm running out and really don't feel like paying more in shipping than the actual product costs.
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:01 PM
-

This is what I found on their website .....

Quote:
Quebec

La Niche Sante
17532 Yuile
Pierrefonds, QC H9J 3P1
514-879-0920
WWW.LANICHESANTE.COM

Naturemporium
10 Rue-de-La-Ferme
Gatineau, QC, J8L 3S5
1-800-856-9054

Salon Shampouchie

4817 Boulevard St-Charles

Pierrefonds,Quebec

514-620-1221

www.salonshampouchie.ca
I did notice though that the small pet store that sells it here is not listed so maybe you could just phone around to stores in your area.
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
This is what I found on their website .....

I did notice though that the small pet store that sells it here is not listed so maybe you could just phone around to stores in your area.
Well now I feel like a ......of course I didn't think to check the website

Thanks Rainbow!
Old August 16th, 2008, 01:39 PM
-

Your welcome....anything for your handsome boys.

You could post pics to really show your appreciation.

Get your bf to take a couple of you brushing the boys teeth.