Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 6th, 2006, 12:05 AM

Cherry Eye in dogs - Answered by Dr. Slome

Hello yet again, Paranoid Puggle owner here again. So Both of my babies get "Cherry Eye" now and then, but in the last 2 days it's been much more than others. The older one, hasn't had any of the cherry eye (Where the 3rd eyelid pops out and doesn't really go back in) but they both have very red eye lids, and a lot of eye boogers around their eyes. The younger has this crustyness around the eyes which I just noticed, and his cherry eye has been popping out all night long, and has been rather difficult to massage back in.

Any Idea what is causing this? could it be really wet weather? I'm a bit nervous considering it seems as if they both have this red eye symptom.

Thanks again

Justin
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:02 AM
Administrator

Cherry eye is usually a genetic problem of the tear gland that is a problem that is worse in specific breeds. Some are mild and some are more severe. They usually cause irritation of the eyes. They are not conditions that magically disappear and if they are mild they will continually cause a problem from time to time.

They usually need to be surgically reattached to the lower orbital bone of the eye and this is something that your veterinarian should have discussed with you or if not then ask him/her about the long term surgical correction of the condition.

The old technique is to surgically just remove them – this is NOT recommended anymore and make sure your veterinarian does not convince you to remove them. This will commonly lead to a potentially serious condition called Dry eye and requires life long medical management at best.

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street Units 40-42
Thornhill, Ont.
L4J 7Y3
Tel. (905) 771-9855
Old May 2nd, 2007, 04:35 PM

Cherry Eye

I was doing a little research on cherry eye because I read the article that says it's not something that magically disappears. My 3 year old lhasa apso has had cherry eye for about 1 1/2 years - the vet said it didn't pose a problem so he did nothing. Well, lo and behold, today I just looked at him and the cherry eye is gone. So now I'm a little stumped! If it doesn't disappear, what happened to it?