Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 13th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Website to buy puppies

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me any websites that sell puppies.

My Black Lab recentely passed away and I'm looking for a new pet. I live in an isolated area where pet stores are not easy to come by. So what I need is some websites that sell puppies and any hints or help on ordering a dog online would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

welcome! I'm sorry for your recent loss.

Please take some time to read the posts on this site for information about places to get a dog (and reasons NOT to buy online or from pet stores) - I don't think anyone here (myself included) will recommend getting a dog that way. Instead, we can help point you in a good direction for a shelter or possibly a reputable breeder.
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:57 AM

How isolated? I wouldn't buy a puppy from a petstore anyway. There are many rescues, all over, and there are many breeders who live in far out areas. You would probably have to go to get the pup any how, so why not go with a reputable breeder? Who knows what you will get if you buy a pup online, it could be a puppmill or a back yard breeder selling sick pups.

www.petfinder.com (this site has loads of rescues in all areas)
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Personal servant to Joey

We got our dog sort of over the net you could say. It was through a rescue organization that was on the interenet, We ended up driving six hours to get him, and he had a four hour flight. So you can get a dog to you, who may have to travel a distance to get it but it can be done. The commercial online breeders only want to sell dogs, the are most likely mills, or commercial breeders, just have your credit card ready, pick a dog anc click on buy now Instead I would look for rescues on the net, petfinders, specific breed rescues too if you think you want a purebred.

Just a question you said you live in a remote area is there a vet or do you have access to a vet if needed.

Good luck finding your fur baby.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:28 AM

So sorry for your loss.
Shelters are a good place to find a pet.
Our local shelter will give you a trial period to make sure you and the dog suit each other. (I think the trial period is more for the dog to vet her new home than for the people)

My Brother in law brought home the most beautiful Irish setter mix several years ago. They live on a farm and this dog was being kept in an appartment before being serendered to the shelter. She's was great for the family, full of love and kisses and how she loves to run. Shelter Dogs are wonderful they aren't going to let you bring home a dog that isn't suitable for your family.

Spelling is an option
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Sorry for you loss.

I don't know where you are located, but here are some pups on petfinders.
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old December 13th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Puppies and dogs are transported all across Canada and the USA so there is a big wide world out there for you to find a pup in. If you let us know where you are located then we can help to point you to a rescue or shelter that would be able to assist in selecting a puppy and arranging transport to you. It's that easy, really.

Just please don't go with an online broker or petstore. Thanks.

Sorry, should have added, very sorry for your recent loss.
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:05 PM
-

Please don't buy your puppy from a pet store. They usually come from Back yard breeders or puppy mills. They don't take the care in making sure that your puppy will be free from genetic defects such as hip displasia, heart, eye problems. All they do is breed this dog to that. They don't do any testing on the parents or grandparents. They also don't offer a health guarantee or atleast honour it. To top it off you end up paying almost double what a good breeder would charge for your puppy. Even though you may be out of the way there is probably some good breeders close to you. Have you decided what breed you are looking for. If not you will want to research that first. Also, if you are looking for a purebred you can check the Dogs in Canada magazine or your local kennel club. You can see it online.
If it is a rescue you are looking for check out petfinder.
One last note, ok 2.
Don't buy out of a newspaper, usually only BYB's and puppy mills list their dogs there and rep breeders don't sell their dogs to pet stores. It is best to go and pick out your puppy if at all possible rather than just having it shipped to you.

Last edited by StaceyB; December 13th, 2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old December 13th, 2005, 03:40 PM

Sorry if I caused confusion.

I have no intentions of buying a dog from a pet store or have anything to do with puppy mills.

I just thought that there may be some great websites out there that have genuine breeders.

What I'm looking for is a bulldog. They are very expensive animals but are mostly breed for show. I only want one for a pet,for myself and family.

I live in Newfoundland, and there are no bulldog breeders around here, which is why I was wondering does anyone know any website of breeders that sell their dogs as pets and not show dogs.

Again...sorry for the confusion.
Old December 13th, 2005, 04:35 PM
-

Most will have some that are sold as pets out of each litter. It would be rare that every one is show quality and even then if you didn't want to show, your breeder would place a non breeding clause in your contract.
Old December 13th, 2005, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there a Bulldog rescue? Could you try that? Didn't a member on this board adopt from that rescue?
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you mean English Bulldog? If so, look to paying 2500 - 5000$ for a quality dog from a reputable breeder, who titles and health tests all breeding dogs.

English Bulldogs, if improperly bred, have a huge host of health problems that will result in heartbreak and a depleted bank account.

To start your search for a reputable breeder, you can check out this site:
http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/wo...g_breeders.htm
Old December 13th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with the other posts but would only add that you should research the various reputable breeders online - email the ones advertised by the rescue groups (or even watch for breeders who advertsie rescue groups) and ask them key questions. Petfinder likely has a few - of that breed (they have many labs needless to say, not so much titled ones of course). There may well be an English Bulldog Association who can recommend the better breeders to you. If possible, you should visit the puppies you do want - even if you have to fly there.

Good luck!