Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 6th, 2006, 06:08 AM
Schnoodle lover

Cool Best method of ear cleaning for dogs ?

I have a puppy schnoodle named Benny and one day i may have too clean his ears i have been told to smell the ears inside for a pungent odour and that could possibly be somthing wrong but just in case i ever have too clean them.
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:13 AM

If there is a bad smell in the dog's ears, there is likely an infection and you'll have to take it to the vet for meds.

You can buy ear cleaner at pet stores or your vets office. I suggest having your vet show you how to use it and keep some around the house. Since the dog's ears are floppy you might have to rinse them out eat time the dog goes swimming or gets realy wet. Your vet will know.
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:37 AM

White Vinegar

I saw on "Good Dog" - Dr. Stanley Coren said to use white vingegar - I cant' remember if it was to be diluted or not. Anyhow, I get a wet cotton ball and put the vinegar in and wipe the inside of the ear.
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I just buy the ear wash from the vet and do it weekly. You squirt a bit in the ear, squish the ear around then use a cotton ball to lightly swab inside and pick up the guck. If you regularly clean your dogs ears then you most likely will avoid infection.
Old June 6th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Benny do you know how to use the search function on these pages? They are really helpful when you have a question, before you post because chances are someone has already asked the question and you might find the answer...

You go up to the bar above, click on search, and then type in your key words, I searched ear cleaning just now and found 3 pages of former threads about this!
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I just want to add, that since you've never cleaned your dogs ears, and it's something you're going to have to alot in your dogs life, I recommend trying to make it as pleasant an operation as you can.
Gentle words, maybe a massage first and after and lotsa treats will usually do the trick! That way your dog won't run away and hide everytime you try to clean his ears!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

my dog's ears stick straight up, and are rarely dirty, but when I do wipe them out, I just use baby wipes.

I agree w/ meb999, since your dog is a pup, get him used to having his ears touched. (same goes for his paws too - for nail clipping.) be sure to handle him often, and the areas that will need grooming.
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:28 AM
-

Just wanted to add;never use a q-tips,always cotton ball.
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM

You're better to ask the vet how to do it the first time. S/He'll show you the best way.
Old June 9th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Schnoodle lover

Ear cleaning

Thanks for the reply and i have already started to touch his ears and massage them as well as touching his feet to get him comfortable to this feeling.We want him to be relaxed and not fussing when we are trying to clean his ears and cut his nails. I watched it on a programe on tlc one time they said touching the dog in this manner will help them to get use to having ther feet handled and ears and so on .
Quote:
Originally Posted by meb999
I just want to add, that since you've never cleaned your dogs ears, and it's something you're going to have to alot in your dogs life, I recommend trying to make it as pleasant an operation as you can.
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:11 PM

We use a cue for Charley... A number of them actually, but they all start with 'Let me see your....' . He wasn't crazy about the poking and proding, but letting him know in advance what was going on helped.
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM

I would recommend using the vet ear cleaner like EPI-otic or Natures Choice brand ear cleaner and use natural cotton not the synthetic.
Old June 10th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Long Term Member

The advice I have is to never use Q-tips... that is a HUGE no-no.
My cockatiel Jayson- 3months
Hailey- My cockatiel-2 years :love:
Old June 10th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Helicopter Champion

Q-tips can be fine to use (1) if they are used to get the gunk on the outer surfaces and not inserted into the ear canal (just like in human use); (2) you have a dog that does not put up a fight when cleaning (i.e. a struggling dog's head moving around can cause the q-tip to enter into the ear than intended); (3) and you use in conjunction with cotton balls and some common sense (i.e. do not stab at the wax with the tip but use the side of the q-tip to wipe).

Last edited by Dogastrophe; June 10th, 2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old June 10th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Performance Spaniels

I have vet solution. I hate it though. While the bottle is nice and convinient, it has what I've come to think is vinegar in it, and she smells horrible for a few days after. Not a vinegar smell, but that it's reacting in a way that smells revolting..

I now use a few drop tea tree oil in a small yogurt cup of water on a cotton make up remover pad and wipe them out massage them, wipe them out, let her shake, wipe again.