Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Recipes for humans

Old May 17th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Hearty yummy soup recepies needed for vego

hi again

do any of you have any really hearty yummy winter soup recepies that are totally meat and meat byproduct free??

anything yummy will be greatly appreciated and definatly tried

anyone want my bush damper recepie, so easy and very aussie. let me know and ill post it. (costs basically nothing to make and really good for that day b4 payday)

lets trade

im cold and im hungry..............
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:39 AM
banned user

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....t=wisdom+teeth Check out this thread Mel, there was a few soups posted for someone who doesn't eat meat.
And I found this website. http://vegweb.com/recipes/soup/ They have tons of veg soups and stews!!
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Tortellini-Vegetable Soup

2 tbsp fresh basil or 2 tsp crushed dried basil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp olive oil or cooking oil
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup cheese tortellini
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup chopped, peeled tomatoes
1 cup loose-pack frozen green beans (can use fresh)
1/2 cup sliced carrot
Grated parmesan cheese

In a medium saucepan cook basil and garlic in hot oil til fragrant. Add broth, tortellini, salt and pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, green beans and carrots. Return to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 10-15 minutes more or til tortellini is done and vegetables are tender. If desired sprinkle with parmesan cheese. For an added zip, try putting in a small amount of pesto before serving.
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

drool drool drool, i now need to whipe down the key board, oh just delicious, i am sooo hungry now.

thank you so much, yoru both jsut absolutly wonderful, i will definatly try the tortellini.

ande sneaky my love, your a good gal, thank you so much, io am heading striaght over ther as soon as i finish typing. today is grocery day so i am going to take a very long list with me for suops, oh yum.

*slurp* me licks her lips in anticipation. OH HEAVENS ABOVE, FEED ME IM STARVING NOW < this is pic of hungry me, hungry for soup

thanks my wonderful honeys i do so appreciate it
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:26 PM
Albert's mommy

Cream of Brocolli/Potato Soup

This one is so rich and so good, definetely not for calorie counters....but a great winter treat nonetheless.

I never really measure, that's the beauty of soups, you just throw stuff together depending on how much you want. I have to make a decent amount since my boyfriend goes through about 4 servings on the day I make it!

3-4 medium sized baking potatoes
a head of brocolli (u can use a bag of frozen too!)
sour cream
heavy cream or whole milk
butter
onions, garlic
pasteurized cheese block (like velveeta) or any cheese you like, regular shreeded cheddar, mozarella will work. You can go gourmet and use some parmesan or guyere cheese too!
vegetable broth <--i'm not a vegetarian, so I use chicken broth, but veggie or even water will do just fine.
bay leaf, dried herbs <--your preference.

Sautee some chopped onions in some butter. Once they are translucent, add a few cloves of crushed garlic. Let those melt into the butter for a minute or two.

Add your water or stock and your milk/cream. Depending on how much soup you are making, I would say half of each for your liquid.

Add a bay leaf, a few dried herbs ( i use an italian blend with oregano, basil, thyme, parsley) really whatever you prefer..

Clean and peel your potatoes, chop them into cubes and add to your simmering liquid. Cook about 10 minutes.
Chop up your head of brocolli, or throw in your frozen bag. (You don't want to chop the trees up too fine, we'll be blending half the soup in an immersion blender later. Depending on whether or not you want chunks of brocolli in your soup.)
Brocolli cooking time depends on whether you are using fresh or frozen. I would say about another 5 minutes.

At this point, using your immersion blender mix the soup to the consistency you prefer. You can also take half the soup and put into your regular blender then mix it back in.
This will make your soup thick and hearty. You decide how smooth or chunky you want it.

Begin adding your shredded cheese or chunks of your cheese block. Add a few spoonfulls of sour cream for added richness.

Let soup simmer until all cheese is melted. Add a few twists of fresh, cracked pepper. Add salt to taste. Depending on the cheese you are using, you may not need to add too much more salt.

I'm sorry I'm not exact with the recipe, but I hope you try it out!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:01 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Melanie -- some vegetarians eat seafood, do you? If so, I've got a great crab and/or seafood bisque recipe that is super easy to make and people think you've worked on it all day. Let me know.
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Hearty yummy soup recipes needed for vego

I'm new to the borads so I don't know if this is allowed. I work for Marilu.com and that website has public boards and a members area. I don't really know what's going on at the public site but the members area has a class beginning Monday for the US Thanksgiving. I'm leading a vegetarian forum for 10 days.

If this counts as advertising or is not allowed someone please delete this post---but I just wanted to let you know that there are some good recipes there that are meat and dairy free. Many are also vegan.

Linda McCartney's cookbook, Linda's Kitchen is also a WONDERFUL cookbook. It's not vegan but it is totally vegetarian and most of the recipes easily convert to vegan if you switch to non dairy milks and cheeses.

I made a wonderful parsnip and butter bean soup from that cookbook the other day and it was creamy and satisfying.

I can get the exact amounts tomorrow but I used a small bag of parsnips and three small potatoes, one small onion, 2 cloves of garlic.

Chop all the veggies and saute the onions and garlic until the onions are translucent. (I used a press for the garlic) Add the potatoes, parsnips and a can of butter beans, with the juices from the can. Add about 3 and a half cups of vegetable broth and cook gently until the veggies are tender.

Puree in batches, adding milk or cream to each batch. Be very careful not to have too much liquid in the blender as it can splash out and burn you. I drain the soup through a colander first--add the broth back to the pot and puree the thick veggies and the cream. I used Silk Soy Creamer. Then reheat gently.

I topped mine with a sprinkle of nutmeg and a dollop of soy sour cream.

This doesn't take long to cook and it's a great fall soup !!!