Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:45 AM

Abused dog?

Hi everyone,
There is a dog I see everyday, who is tied up outside in the driveway, he has no grass, just cement all around him, but he does have a shelter, and food and water.
I personally think it is cruel to be living in these conditions, but the SPCA won't do anything at all, and I don't know if I'd want them to anyways, since in the end they'd probably put him down.
I'm at a loss as to what to do.
Any advice?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Hannabelle and welcome!!

Unfortunately the law here in QC stipulates food, shelter and water. That's it.

Tread carefully with this one, as, like any other abusive situation, aggravating the owners can make it worse for the victim, as will removing the victim from the situation and placing him/her at the SPCA. Are the owners at work all day?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM

What kind of dog is it? Is he out there all day? Are you sure?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

When I ws in a similar situation, I fibbed a bit.... telling the owners that the neighborhood kids were coming and harrassing his dog and dumping his water bowl.

Not only was he open for his dog possibly biting a child, he would be fined if someone(not me, of course ) called the SPCA as the dog had no water.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:19 PM

I go by often to see if he is out, and no matter what time I go, be it early morning, middle of the night, evening, before work, he is ALWAYS tied up out there.
I went up to him the other day to pet him, he is a wonderful friendly dog, but his fur is filthy, matted....
I can't get over how horrible some people are.
The house where he is tied up is HUGE, a multi million type of place. Guess they got a dog, and now don't want him to make it dirty, or something.
He is a german shepard mix, or appears to be.
I have driven by in the pouring rain, he's out, this morning there he was - in the humidity, lying on the pavement next to the garage...I guess the cement is cooler than inside his dog house.
I guess there is nothing I can do, is there?
I don't want to make things worse for the poor little guy.
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:22 PM
Rottie owner and lover

In quebec there is a anti cruelty law, but unfortunetly, it has never been enforced. Man I hate living in quebec
Old August 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM

The dog is in the west Island Rottielover...I can PM you the address, you can see if for yourself.
Poor little thing.
I hate the fact that there seem to be no laws here as well - I always hear that Quebec is the worst province in Canada in terms of the animal laws, and that we have the highest amount of abandoned animals, since there are no repercussions.
:sad:
Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:23 PM

We can't steal him?
Old August 2nd, 2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
We can't steal him?
Well, I won't say I haven't been thinking about it.....
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:15 PM

Tied Up Dog

I lived in the WI and now live in a farm in Ontario. Please PM me the address. I will not steal the dog even though it is tempting, but I will go to the house and offer to buy the dog from them. They would probably take a couple bucks for him just to get rid of him.

Thanks for caring.

PS Check out this website: www.dogsdeservebetter.com
Lisa.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canine14
I lived in the WI and now live in a farm in Ontario. Please PM me the address. I will not steal the dog even though it is tempting, but I will go to the house and offer to buy the dog from them. They would probably take a couple bucks for him just to get rid of him.

Thanks for caring.

PS Check out this website: www.dogsdeservebetter.com
Lisa.

Hi Lisa,
I cannot PM as of yet, when I can I will let you know.
So, do you have a set thing to say when you go and offer them money for the dog? Do you think if I tried that, it may work?
I took a look at the site you posted....and I know that I have to do something after seeing it.
I don't want to see this dog become agressive due to being mistreated.
I just found out from a friend that he was out all winter as well - I did not know that, as I didn't pass the house where he "lives" until recently.....
Old August 3rd, 2005, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Hannabelle,thank you for caring,hopefully something can be done to help this dog.We had a similar situation here in the Forum about a 13yr old dog and I believe it had a very happy ending,because of people who cared.
Also,even here in Ontario,the anti-cruelty laws are 100 yrs old,animals here are still considered property.The OSPCA has been trying for years to get a new law passed.
The HS here also do not consider it cruelty to a dog who is outside 24/7 as long as it has food,water and shelter,so not much different from Quebec!
Old August 3rd, 2005, 07:33 PM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

[QUOTE=Hannahbelle]I went up to him the other day to pet him[/QUOTE}seeing he's friendly could you maybe free him and if he follows you ... (this was an OP's suggestion in another similar thread). Sounds like he may be their guard dog. Thanks for caring. I'm sure the dog looks forward to your visits Good luck, please keep us posted.
Old August 4th, 2005, 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=Golden Girls]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahbelle
I went up to him the other day to pet him[/QUOTE}seeing he's friendly could you maybe free him and if he follows you ... (this was an OP's suggestion in another similar thread). Sounds like he may be their guard dog. Thanks for caring. I'm sure the dog looks forward to your visits Good luck, please keep us posted.
Like I said before, I won't deny that I have been thinking about it....
I just keep having these mental arguments, not knowing what to do. On the one hand, if their were children who loved to dog, I'd be upset knowing that I caused them sadness if he were too "follow me home".
On the other hand, I can't handle him being out there. Today is going to be in the high 30's, low 40's with the humidity, and this dog is out there with only a crappy dog house that sits in the sun for the majority of the afternoon - I can't even imagine the temperature it must rise too, seeing as it is all cement around him.
I'm thinking about going to speak to the owners, but I don't get a good feeling about it....for some reason, the huge house and the jaguars in the driveway are intimidating me abit, and I feel that they really don't care for the welfare of the animal, and they might even being using him as a type of guard dog, even though he is so friendly and doesn't even bark!
I'm so upset about it all..... :sad:
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:15 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

[QUOTE=Hannahbelle]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls
they might even being using him as a type of guard dog, even though he is so friendly and doesn't even bark!
Many people use dogs to just "intimidate" possible intruders! I've never met a mean dog unless their trained to be. Seeing he didn't have any objections to your visits you have to assume he's definitely someone's pet just not considered a 'family member'. I have a feeling he wouldn't be too missed, and most probably be replaced! :sad:

For your peace of mind, maybe try talking nicely to owners. Tell them you just lost a dog that looked like him, or you always wanted one just like that - use your imagination, cry if u must, hehe. Leave out ALL criticism. At least this way, you'll get the feel of the doggy's life - then just follow your heart!

Sending good vibes your way
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Hannabelle,the problem is,you will continue to be upset and it will wear on you until you can do something about this poor dog,I know from experience,although mine did not work out well for the dog.
Talking to the owner in a calm non-aggressive manner is one way,pointing out the heat,the obvious suffering of the dog and your mental anguish,as an animal-lover,watching him suffer.Jaguars or not,don't feel intimidated,they probably just owe a little more money than you
Maybe they at least have a backyard with some shady trees...
Also I do believe HS says,no dog/cat should be kept outside in this heat as well as extreem cold.
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Why don't you offer to buy him, they seem to be into money. Just say you've fallen in love with him and if they would agree to part with him, you would be willing to pay. If he is supposed to be a guard dog, he doesn't exactly fit the profile. When I offered to walk my neighbour's dog (shut up all day, crying and barking), he declined, because he is a 'guard dog'. As if guard dogs don't deserve the occasional walk! He only goes out to pee.
Old August 5th, 2005, 10:13 AM

Email me

What Badger just wrote is what I suggested. I am willing to do it. Email me at harryis21@yahoo.com.

Thank you.
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:04 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahbelle
I go by often to see if he is out, and no matter what time I go, be it early morning, middle of the night, evening, before work, he is ALWAYS tied up out there. He is a german shepard mix
Just wondering about this little guy. Have you seen him lately?
Old August 12th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls
Just wondering about this little guy. Have you seen him lately?
Yup, see him every day.
Yesterday, he was lying on the cement, licking it. He looks bored....I guess I don't blame him.
Anyways, I gave the address to Canine14, who is going to go by the house and I think offer money, or try somehow to get them to give him up...
I, or I'm sure she, will keep you all updated.