Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old February 8th, 2014, 07:14 PM

Question Dry skin and excessive shedding in 14yr old female.

Hi there,
So my cat has always been the type to stress out and shed a bit of hair every once in a while, but it doesn't last long and always grows back. This is our first dry/cold winter in a long time and she has been shedding a ridiculous amount over the last month, and her skin has started to flake quite a lot over the last few days. In all her fourteen years, I've never seen her shed this much and she has never had flaky skin. Today I also noticed she has a runny eye. She doesn't seem to be overly itchy or in pain, but she doesn't seem too happy either. I've tried combing out the loose hairs but they just won't cease, and coconut oil didn't seem to help her skin.
Anyway, I'm just not sure if this is normal or needs to be looked at by a vet. Is there any product (preferably natural) that I can use to help remedy it? Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah and Tigger
Old February 8th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Senior Contributor

a humidifier might your cat dry skin , it would help every one in the house too if they're getting dry skin.
Old February 9th, 2014, 06:28 PM

Hi Sarah - I was going to suggest using coconut oil, but you've already tried that, and there's been no improvement, so the next best thing is to ask your vet if it would be best to have Tigger looked at. He/she will most likely have either some oil or even gentle shampoo or conditioner that will help ease the flaking and soothe her skin overall.

I think it could be a case of being very cold and very dry, and Tigger not being used to it, and also, she's getting on in years, so it could be a combination of aging as well as the cold and dry weather that's aggravating it.

I hope Tigger feels better soon.

JuneD
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

What does Tigger eat, and when was her last check-up at the vet?

Skin and coat condition is often a reflection of health, so I'd be concerned that this is more than just something to do with dry air. If Tigger hasn't seen the vet within the past 6 months to a year, it would really be a good idea to have a senior blood panel and urinalysis done. If the results of that are normal, perhaps a re-evaluation of her diet is in order. As cats age, their nutritional requirements can change.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 10th, 2014, 01:11 AM

Tigger eats a dry food for seniors by Nutro. I also give her a few Temptations here and there. I've been reading that some senior cats need wet food in their diet also, so I might try finding a good quality canned food that she'll eat.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback so far!
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Definitely try some wet food. Not a senior formula though, as these are usually the last thing an aging cat should be eating. They have lower levels of protein (and therefore are higher in carbs), at a time when cats should actually be getting more protein instead. Here's a good video on the subject by Dr. Karen Becker: http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...and-liver.aspx

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Tags
cat, dry skin, senior cat, shedding, winter