Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 12th, 2008, 03:14 PM

labradoodles or "mutts"

Quote:
"Morkies", "Schnoodle", "Labradoodle"???

If you are looking for one of these dogs, please look in your shelter or a rescue. These are NOT recognized breeds, but merely get-rich-quick creations pumped out by disreputable people to make big bucks and prey on the gullible.

These dogs are merely mongrels with high price tags. Don't be taken in!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been on this site for only a few months now, and everyone has been helpful. I couldn't help but notice this tag here. I own a "labradoodle" or mutt or whatever you want to call her. She's a sweetie just the same.
I just so happened to come across and read some of the things that people were saying:
A - If someone wants to pay $2500, that's their choice. I agree that this is way overpriced, but hey, what makes $2500 for a dog that says pure bred any better. Unless you show or breed them, It's still a status symbol. These dogs can be found WAY cheaper than that, so all you have to do is look if you want.
B - Calling these dogs by defenition of a mutt etc is fine, and I don't take personal offence at all, but some people get into more than that. I might think your cat's ugly, but I'd never say it.
C - These dogs may be found in kennels, as well as labs, dobermins, huskies. The list goes on. Please don't exagerate like there are 5 in every humane society.
and D - to the site admin - I personally am not Gullible or have not been taken in by anyone. Say what you want, but that sounds like an insult to me. This site is to help about pet and to inform people. That it does, but I think there are better ways of posting "informative" articles without personal insults. You don't know who you would be talking to or who might take offence.
I believe it was said by someone already, but all pure breeds started as "mutts" before. I don't care if a labradoodle ever becomes a breed to be honest, but I can say this. Even though they do have a silly name (not sure who came up with that one haha), they are a great dog from two great pure breds. Wouldn't trade my dog for the world.
Old March 12th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I have to agree with the posting, "breeders" charge double for these and call them desiger dogs, when really, they are mixed breeds/mutts. This is a warning for those who think they should pay more becaise the got the best of 2 breeds. People see the words "Designer" and pay double. This post just sums it up to what it really is. I spend time in shelters and I would aurgue till I was blue in the face, there are tones of these designer breeds, pure breds and mutts there...by not being suckered in to buying one from a "breeder" you could save a life. At Christmas time, a whole family of them came in, mom, dad, and 5 pups that didn't sell at xmas time. :sad: And since this litter didn't sell, they dropped the adults off too. All Labradoodles previously selling for $900 each. $900 for a mutt. Honestly? Thats why this warning is there. You would be crazy to pay that for a non pure bred.

"Morkies", "Schnoodle", "Labradoodle"???

If you are looking for one of these dogs, please look in your shelter or a rescue. These are NOT recognized breeds, but merely get-rich-quick creations pumped out by disreputable people to make big bucks and prey on the gullible.

These dogs are merely mongrels with high price tags. Don't be taken in!

If anything I would change the word gullible..altho I can't think of another word to put in there but I could see how that could be offensive to those who have already purchased a designer breed, and I would change the word mongrels to mutts altho they are the same thing. But thats it.

It's not meant to demean the pups, it's meant to warn customers to not pay this kinda money for a mutt, you are right, that's peoples choice, but the word still needs to be out there that these dogs are over priced for the pure benifit of the "breeder" not the breed. And to help the educate people on byb. I think there has been enough sugar coating stuff like this, it's time we say it like it is. These are expensive mixed breeds.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)

Last edited by Ford Girl; March 12th, 2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

ANY breeder that charges you $2,500 for an 8 week old puppy (unless it is a rare breed or a bulldog - bitches MUST have a c-section to deliver pups) is just out to take advantage of people who have not done their homework. I know several different breeders that breed only dogs that have had all of their health certs. done and have titles on both ends that only charge between $800 - $1,000 for puppies. The advantage to buying a puppy from an ETHICAL breeder has nothing to do with status. It has to do with someone who wants a particular breed and wants to make sure that the puppy they get will grow up to meet the breed standard and not be crippled or die from a genetic issue that could be avoided by careful breeding.

While you might not be gullible, the fact of the matter is - we live in a society where people want what they want and they want it now. I am very sure that there is not one person involved in rescue here who hasn't taken in a "designer" dog and gotten the story of how it was sooo cute when they got it but it is too big, too hairy, too vocal, too whatever. People see the cute puppy in the pet shop or on the website and expect that they will get it into their home and it will always look the way it does, will be sweet and nice to everyone, never soil the floor, never chew on the leg of a chair and all they will have to do is love it.

Millions of dogs are destroyed in shelters in North America every year. Most of them are mutts without fancy designer names. That is the biggest problem that most of us here have with "designer breeds".
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Well said, LavenderRott!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I concur with LavRott! Excellent post! I am a little upset with the whole notion of designer breeds. It is pure marketing - sell mutts and call them fancy names and charge a small fortune. I really am alarmed when there are claims made that are not true such as a labradoodle is the best of both breeds. No one can possibly know that in advance.

I am sure owners love their labradoodles but why buy one when labs are around? What is the difference? I love my choc lab "nephew" - and like mutts too for that mater. Why pay more money? if one really wants to show a dog, that's one thing- get involved in that life if you want tho designer breeds are not recognized and because of the vast number are not likely to ever be given a CKC designation.

Love your dog and let's hope no more get rick quick schemes like this one come along again! (Tho knowing the human race, I am sure some will.) Puppy.Pal, I am glad you understand what you are involved in - I just hope yours is a rescue dog and you did not pay megabucks for your puppy. I am sure you love him. Anyone can create a labradoodles (sad to say) and that's the problem - and thus there are no standards.
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

What can I say? Dani is a "Tollercollie" (or whatever the other breed in her might be, could be border collie, could be anything, who cares?), she was rescued; had I bought her as a pup, there is no way I'd have paid more than a shelter adoption fee type price for her. A mutt is a mutt, no matter how cute, intelligent and sweet natured they are.

Getting a pure bred is not a crime, you may want to be (more) sure of the size, personality, temperament, use even, of a particular breed.

But camouflaging mutts as "designer dogs" to get money is immoral.

"Gullible" incidentally is not an insult, just an opinion the author of the post had. Could have used "naive" too. Or "fashion-slave"? Either way, the person paying that kind of money for a mixed breed, is in my opinion paying for something they're not getting: a recognized, registered breed.

Old March 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post

But camouflaging mutts as "designer dogs" to get money is immoral.
Exactly !!!
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
At Christmas time, a whole family of them came in, mom, dad, and 5 pups that didn't sell at xmas time. :sad: And since this litter didn't sell, they dropped the adults off too. All Labradoodles previously selling for $900 each.
Ford Girl, I have to agree with you that this is very sad. I will admit, I didn't think that there were anymore in the pound of this breed than any other. And I say that because I watched the pound around here for over a year before I decided on a dog. I am sad to hear of ANY dog being left there for nothing.
I also agree about the get rich quick stuff. I think those prices are overpriced for any dog tho, unless you're showing or are 100% sure of the breeder.
At least with this breed, you DO know what types of dogs they are coming from and have an idea that the personality will be a combination of some of those traits. I guess next to pure breed, next best for determining personality as opposed to a true "mongrel" (not sure of what's in the mix).
I don't take personal offence to anything, I just happened to be reading it and said what was on my mind at the time. I just don't want people to get the idea that "EVERY" person that buys a labradoodle is gullible or bought them because they are a designer dog. I know I didnt.
If you look at almost ALL breeds and truly read their history, which I have done for many, you will find at one point, they were a combination of one or more dogs bred for a human purpose. The labradoodle was bred for a seeing eye dog for a lady whose husband was allergic to dogs. It seemed to work for them.
It is unfortunate that some people(s) have taken advantage of the money grabbing scheme, but there are still better ways to say things.
As far as one person asking why don't you just buy a lab? I don't know...why doesn't someone who wants a husky just buy a german shepherd. They don't want one I guess.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

It's not the breed mix that's the problem, it's the people who do the breeding of these dogs. Puppy mills and back yard breeders. While a lot of us have been taken in and bought a puppy from such places or pet stores which are supplied by these places, now that you're here, and you have one of these dogs you should know better in future to not purchase another in the same manner and create demand from these sources.
I take no offense in you defending your pup, I would however take offense if you try to justify the people who bred your pup or who sold you the pup.
In the meantime, you can learn a lot from this site on how to care for your pet, meet wonderful people to share stories with and of course, post lots of pics of your dog so we can all admire.

Cindy
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy_Pal View Post
At least with this breed, you DO know what types of dogs they are coming from and have an idea that the personality will be a combination of some of those traits.
Unless you have met both parents and seen numerous offspring of the pair - you really don't know where they are coming from or have any idea of personality. The purebred dogs that you see now came from generations of breeding - discarding dogs that threw puppies with undesirable traits, keeping meticulous records of who was bred to whom, and making sure that ALL puppies not only looked the desired way, but had the personality and ability to do the job that the new breed was intended to do.

The sad truth is that there are now tons of labradors and standard poodles in cages in puppymills all over North America pumping out puppies at an alarming rate of speed. No thought is given to type or health, just dollar bills. While I think that the original idea behind the "breed" was admirable - the fact of the matter is that the "breed" is NOT used for the original purpose that was intended. Don't you wonder why that is?
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:02 PM

While many purebreds were started from other breeds, they were made into a SINGLE breed with a set of standards including look, personality, temperament etc, that ethical breeders, bred to a single standard, they breed to create the best example of that breed standard. Ethical breeders health test, conformation test, temperament test etc to only produce the best of the best. Taking two purebred dogs of DIFFERENT breeds and sticking them together doesn't make anything but a mutt PERIOD. Labadoodle isn't a breed and never will be as there is no standard, there is no ethic and there isn't a breeder or breed club driving for any of the above SO they will be forever a designer dog aka mutt. I have NOTHING against mutts, I have been the proud owner of many but as many others have posted the issue is the greeders aka greedy breeders. We are seeing these mixes in the shelters now and lots of them, there are now doodle rescues starting up because these dogs don't have a standard, you don't necessarily know what you are getting. No two lab/poodle mixes will be the same and many who are promised to be hypoallergenic are in fact NOT and thus getting dumped because the breeders are not ethical or responsible, that's where the issue lies.

I actually met a lady who thought her dog was pure because the parents were pure (one lab, one poodle), she didn't know that they had to be the SAME breed and registered with the CKC or AKC to be considered pure! There are many people won't don't know better and they are being fleeced!!!! She was LIVID when I explained to her how it worked!!!
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Garden nut

Not too fond of the word gullible either.

But then again Caveat Emptor (buyer beware) also applies, and consumers should be responsible and research before merely believing what they are told.

Mixed breed "designer" dogs are the ones really paying for humanity's lack of interest in taking responsibility and researching before buying.

But consumers have fallen for descriptive names on products for a long, long time. In the Victorian era, people would pay extra for plant seeds just because it contained terms like "improved," when in fact it was regular seeds all along and nothing was improved at all. The only difference was a higher price tag.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

the reason poster, that you see so many of them in shelters and rescues is because "buyers" didn't do their homework, they are billed as "non allergetic", thats not always the case. IF it took on that part of the poodles genes then it could be, but remember..a lab does shed. so "maybe" just "maybe" one pup in a litter of 8 could be non allergetic.....the rest....well....guess where they end up?
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
It's not the breed mix that's the problem, it's the people who do the breeding of these dogs. Puppy mills and back yard breeders.
Cindy
the reason poster, that you see so many of them in shelters and rescues is because "buyers" didn't do their homework

After reading this, I find it very unforunate about the money schemes and the poor animals that get left behind. I have seen shows on puppy mills and some breeders and it makes me sick. I wish people would do their homework so that people like me, who have full intentions of giving a dog a good home, don't get thrown under the bus with every irresponsible dog owner out there.
I paid no where near $2500 or even $1000. I didn't even know what a "labradoodle" was until last year. I was just in the market for a dog when I got my new house. I happened to pick this puppy, because I knew what breeds she had, she was cute and I wanted a puppy that could keep up with my lifestyle (outdoors, beach, running, rollerblading, camping etc).
It's unfortunate to see anyone purchase a puppy without being ready and its the dog who suffers in the end, no matter the breed or "mutt". It's also unfortunate to see people get rich off of this. When the labradoodle phase is over, be sure another will begin.
I guess some people shouldn't have pets. PERIOD.

I will post pics for those who asked.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Quote:
Ford Girl, I have to agree with you that this is very sad. I will admit, I didn't think that there were anymore in the pound of this breed than any other. And I say that because I watched the pound around here for over a year before I decided on a dog. I am sad to hear of ANY dog being left there for nothing.
Exactly, thats all my point was, I do see all kinds of "pure" breds and very popular breeds in the shelters, tones, I wouldn't say there are more breeds then others in the pound, but all breeds can be found at one point or another, but I do hear that people who want a specific breed, like yourself, looking forever and not finding one, thats all just timing....they can be found, so many of them. People just don't think that anyone would put a pure bred in a shelter...papers or not they are there. The difference is, dogs from real legit breeders can be returned tot he breeder, no need for the pound. Your best bet if you have your heart set on a specific breed is to contact a breed specific rescue.

It's all after the fact now, you have your pup and love it to bits, and my pup is from a "farm" too, learnt about byb after the fact, all we can do now is help educate others...live and learn...

Quote:
the reason poster, that you see so many of them in shelters and rescues is because "buyers" didn't do their homework

When the labradoodle phase is over, be sure another will begin.
I guess some people shouldn't have pets. PERIOD.

I will post pics for those who asked.
Exactly...another phase will come, and it will be followed by people who believe that these dogs are "desgner" and worth the double amount. People don't think ahead...there are so many owner surrendered dogs where I volunteer, for so many reason - which I will never understand - which is why I dont work in admissions.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM

I am lying in bed with a cold and four gorgeous purebreds that were ALL from various shelters!!! Just three days ago I picked up a dog from the SPCA that was in a puppy mill and she is finally DONE, she is a gorgeous MinPin who sadly was bred over and over and she is now safe with me. So a little of everything shows up in the shelters really and if you wait long enough your dog will show up! I see purebreds, mix breeds, the doodles etc... They are all over the place. It's insane out there. There are too many irresponsible breeders out there.
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM

From the owner of a mutt

Hi everyone. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful dog. His name is Marley and he is just a little over a year old. From the day I have brought him home he has been nothing but a joy. He trains easy and listens well. He has a wonderful, funny personality. Marley is everything that I wanted in a dog. I spent alot of time looking into what type of dog to get. Although I love labs and golden retrievers I didnt want to deal with the amount of shedding involved with these breeds. Some people would never care about something as trivial as shedding, but I know I do, and I think its very important and responsible to not buy a dog without thinking of all aspects of owning one. I opted for a goldendoodle and have not had a second thought since I brought him home. I have also known the breeder I bought him from since I was a little girl and didnt hesitate to but a puppy from her. She treats her dogs great. Yes she charges quite a bit for her puppies but definitley nowhere around $2500.00. I paid $900 for my Marley and he was worth every penny. Marley and I are perfect for eachother and hopefully will be together for many fun filled years to come. Imagine if I had missed out on one of my greatest joys in life because I didnt want to shell out $900 for a mutt. Im definitley not saying my dog is perfect, and he is definitley not everyones cup of tea, but hes not any less of a dog because he is not a purebred.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash83 View Post
Hi everyone. I am lucky enough to have a wonderful dog. His name is Marley and he is just a little over a year old. From the day I have brought him home he has been nothing but a joy. He trains easy and listens well. He has a wonderful, funny personality. Marley is everything that I wanted in a dog. I spent alot of time looking into what type of dog to get. Although I love labs and golden retrievers I didnt want to deal with the amount of shedding involved with these breeds. Some people would never care about something as trivial as shedding, but I know I do, and I think its very important and responsible to not buy a dog without thinking of all aspects of owning one. I opted for a goldendoodle and have not had a second thought since I brought him home. I have also known the breeder I bought him from since I was a little girl and didnt hesitate to but a puppy from her. She treats her dogs great. Yes she charges quite a bit for her puppies but definitley nowhere around $2500.00. I paid $900 for my Marley and he was worth every penny. Marley and I are perfect for eachother and hopefully will be together for many fun filled years to come. Imagine if I had missed out on one of my greatest joys in life because I didnt want to shell out $900 for a mutt. Im definitley not saying my dog is perfect, and he is definitley not everyones cup of tea, but hes not any less of a dog because he is not a purebred.
Please - do not for a minute think that anyone here thinks that mutts are any "less of a dog" , are not fabulous companions, and are not smart as a whip. What we have a problem with is people (even wonderful people who treat their dogs great) who intentionally breed mutts with absolutely no regard for any health issues beyond a quick trip to the local vet to be told that their dogs are healthy, and sell them to make money.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Sorry

Guess I got ahead of myself there. Just was caught off guard by some of the remarks that were said about mixed breed dogs. I do understand the point of what everyone is saying here.

Last edited by Tash83; April 9th, 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Kitty pimp

hi ya Tash welcome to the boards congratulations on your marly ay pictures i used to own a labrador and took care of a standard poodle for a while i think its a great mix
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Kitty pimp

well my take is very extreme i think I would never ever buy from a breeder when there are so many pound dogs of all kinds and tprements to save
But thats just me /
Old April 11th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tash83 View Post
Guess I got ahead of myself there. Just was caught off guard by some of the remarks that were said about mixed breed dogs. I do understand the point of what everyone is saying here.
That was basically the point of me starting this thread. After reading, everyone made some very valid points. I believe I did the same thing in getting ahead of myself. It was just the way some went about presenting their opinion that gets you a bit defensive upon first reading. As you all know, to many pet owners, it's not different than talking about someone's child.
I will say that I have learned some things and agree with many things that have been said here, but like Tash, I don't regret for a second getting my dog. It's unfortunate that some people make it possible for us to even have this discussion in the first place by putting the responsibility they chose onto others, and ultimately the poor animals.
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I am face with this issue almost weekly when I check the classified- to see how ppl advertise dogs (I sometimes call the cat free to as good home ads and urge them to charge a fee and none of them claim to never have heard of the many horrible things that happen to "free" kittens or cats or dogs.

There is a local woman - and by local, I mean she lives many a few hrs away - who sells labradoodles. She has a web site and for awhile was getting lots of publicity. Then the animal rgts groups pointed out how really, these dogs are NOT at all any less allergic and pointed out that while they are cute, they are NOT what is being advertised, esp at $1500! I notice now that as people get away from buying them - and I do hope this is a trend- the dogs went down to a $1000 and today, they are $700. I hope she is driven out of business but then one worries about where her original dogs will go - and I worry about how many times she breeds a year!

I just checked her sorry state of a web site and you know, she ships her dogs with Canada Post!! Is that even possible? I guess Express it might be ewwwwwwwwwwww!

Last edited by CyberKitten; April 12th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old April 14th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Canada Post does not ship live animals last I checked.... LOL Hell if they did I would stick a stamp on my arse and go to mexico!
Old April 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIA View Post
Canada Post does not ship live animals last I checked.... LOL Hell if they did I would stick a stamp on my arse and go to mexico!

I wanna be mailed too....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else