Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 12th, 2004, 11:14 AM

New Owner

Hello Everyone

I have just adopted an adult dog. So far he is great.
This morning though I went for my regular Sunday morning run. I put him in the crate, just until I can trust him. And when I was returning, I could hear him barking from the road.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas about how I can reassure him that I am going to be coming back? I don't want him to be barking all morning and afternoon tomorrow when I am at work. And I have to go and do groceries today, but I don't want to upset him.

I realize this is a really stressful time for him, but is there anyway that I can make it easier on him?

Kadens Mom!
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome.

Just a question.Has he already been crate trained?Sometimes if dogs haven't been,and you all of a sudden put them in one,it can stress them out even more.

How is he when he isn't in the crate?Does he chew on things?Mess the house?

I never crated my dogs.So I will have to leave it to the experts on here...
Old December 12th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

HI and welcome to the board. It's wonderful that you adopted an adult dog. They can be the greatest companions!

Your dog is in a strange place with a new person and is probably anxious and confused. When you go out, he has no way of knowing if you will come back. You can't just put him in a crate and leave for any length of time right now, and should not have gone for the run.

This has to be done gradually - with the dog in the crate for a few minutes, and building up to more time. Just walk out and walk back in again, and don't make any fuss when you come or go.

If he is housetrained and doesnt' chew it may be better to gate him in the kitchen or some other room instead of crating him.

What will also help your dog is a strict schedule. Dogs like him, who have been bounced around get comfort from knowing what is going to happen next.

Let us know how it goes!