Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 18th, 2009, 09:40 AM

wanting to house train my shih-tzu

hi all;
i have a 8 week old puppy (shih-tzu) and want to house train him. so far i lay down those puppy pads and put him on them when i catch him peeing or pooping. this doesn't seem to be working because when he wants to go, lol, he sneaks off to do his business and then looks funny at you and goes and hides. i want to start from scratch and any helpfull hints would be really appreciated. i love my little baby but really would like for him not to do his business in the house but rather outside.. thank-you all for your time.
; Frank
Old August 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

wanting to house

You are sending mixed messages by laying down pee pads and yet wanting him to do his business outside. I am not a fan of puppy pads that teach a dog to go inside the house so from now on you should take him outside (to the exact same spot) every 1/2 hr, when he wakes, after eating, after playing. Once he's peeed/pooped outside give him lots of praise and maybe a very small treat. When you're in the house keep him confined to a small area or even a cage so he can't sneak off. Ignore the mistakes unless you catch him mid-stream, say no formly, take him outside and praise when he goes. Don't expect overnight success as this entails alot of work and diligence on your part and will probably take up to 6 months before you have a house trained dog. Patience, persistence and positive reinforcement will go a long way in having a well adjusted dog. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old August 19th, 2009, 07:13 AM

house training

thanks for the advice , will do and will keep u posted, again, thank-you !!
; Frank
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:53 PM

I too have a shih tzu - well he is half, and I completely agree... we took him outside every 30 min - 1 hour and waited and waited until he did something and then praised him for it with treats and love. He got the hang of it, and as they grow up, he will understand better how to tell you he needs to go out...
Good luck.

p.s. I am not a puppy pad fan... outside all the way. I did it in (-20) degree weather! in the summer, piece of cake. They are smart dogs!!! They'll get it quick!