Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Ask the Members

View Poll Results: Please help us know our members - choose all that apply
I am American 77 18.83%
I am Canadian 306 74.82%
I am from another country 29 7.09%
I am Male 36 8.80%
I am Female 346 84.60%
I have a dog(s) 330 80.68%
I have a cat(s) 242 59.17%
I have a bird(s) 38 9.29%
I have fish 94 22.98%
I have other pets (Rodents, reptiles, exotics etc.) 87 21.27%
I am allergic to MY pet(s) 52 12.71%
I am not allergic to MY pets 244 59.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 15th, 2007, 09:11 PM
-

I know Anne and I have spoken to Terry once or twice. You guys will get Lilly soon, a black lab I found 1 month ago. I know her future foster is in Montreal but don't know her name. I hope I get updates on her adoption. I know you guys are working real hard, taking dogs out of a shelter on south shore.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:25 PM

I'm Catherine from Ajax. My current furkids are:
- 2 Sealpoint Siamese brothers, Oscar & Felix - very much like the odd couple and they'll be 13 yr on May 28.
- an exotic (aka unknown mix breed) street urchin kitty Sybil who will be 12 yr old this summer (her exact DOB is unknown so we celebrate June 1)
- Tia, the German Shepherd who turned 1 yr old on Jan 20
I am allergic to cats
Old January 22nd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidi.....I have a kitten-Roxy and 2 ferals Bob and Momma we feed.......
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:56 PM
Young at Heart

Jan from Vancouver Island, BC with 2 Golden Wonders (Golden Retrievers, that is) one male and one female and 2 black cats, 1 male rumpy Manx and 1 female stumpy Manx - both cats are from the SPCA.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:57 PM

Talking knowing the members

Hi, I am Lenny my real name is Lenice. I am female. I am an American and I love my country!!!!!!!!! I am a big dog gal and at the moment have a gorgeous English Chocolate Lab 102 pounds. I also am the owner of an adorable Goldendoodle that will be 1 January 27th. He is 85 pounds. I have a husband of 18 years, 2 teens: a son and daughter. We live in Maryland on 3 acres. I am truly blessed.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 02:31 PM

1 dog, 2 cats, 17 tropical fish, 4 pond koi

Hello,

My name is Ann and I'm from Toronto. Maggie, who has been part of our family since December 05, is a 4 year old red rough, 9 pound brussels griffon (rescue) who is slowly adapting to her new life as a dog instead of a tattooed and numbered puppy producer.

Mulligan, an adoption, joined our family in 1998 and is a 11 year old 14 pound DSH male cat who totally lives up to his name. He is a polydactyl, pure white with one blue and one green eye. He is one of the most loving cats I've ever met. All who meet him want to take him home. He never tires of getting loving and really isn't that particular about who gives it to him. His nickname is "me too" because if another gets affection, he bulldozes his way in for his share (having forgotten that he just got some of his own)

Prada, another adoption, joined our family in 2006 and is a 2 year old 7 pound DSH female, Russian Blue in colour. Given her size, we started to call her "little kitty" and she responds to that far better than to her given name. Although she was afraid of Mulligan in the early days, he is after all twice her size, she now rules the roost. I had concerns about her getting enough to eat as I have an automatic feeding system and Mulligans head fils the bowl entirely. Shortly after her arrival, once she ventured out from under the spare room bed, she discovered that a quick nip on his ear would get his head out of the bowl long enough to get her share. She and Maggie are fast friends and we'll often find them curled up together. She has helped Mulligan lose weight as she loves to play, and apparently he does also.

The only oddity about our little family is that the cats come when called consistently, the dog, has to think about it, but is improving. They are all unique characters, and we love them dearly.

The tropicals are mainly swordtails who breed quite regularly and have kept the population in the tank going for 6 years now.

The koi have survived one winter. ($10 fish - $80 pond heater)...people think I'm nuts, but they're my babies too. We struggle with the racoons in the area, but have built hiding places in the pond, sofar, so good. Let's see next spring.

As you can probably tell, I'm a big believer in adoptions/rescues. Although a kitten or puppy is cute and you can watch them develop their personalities and mould them into your household, there are so many unwanted animals out there that deserve a forever family. The process of seeing them gain confidence and become loving / trusting members of the family is so very rewarding in and of itself.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM

Lightbulb who are you?

Thanks for reminding me. I also have Koi in our pond and fresh water fish in small aquarium. I had one Koi that survived all the winters and the Heron for 12 years and when he died I was just as devestated as when my last pup Beau died. They are unique fish and one can get quite attached to them.
Old February 4th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I am Canadian, but I have been living in South Korea for the past year and a half.

I have a pet frog at home and I usually have several fish tanks on the go.

Through miscommunication (not an irregular thing as a foreigner in Korea) I ended up with a 6week old kitten. 3 months later I don't know what I would do without my Aija. I am thankful to find this board as I am far from home and in a country that does not favour having a cat as a pet.
Old February 5th, 2007, 09:13 PM

I'm Janet and I'm a real estate agent in the West Island area of Montreal. I have 2 dogs & 4 cats. I was founder and director of SOS MIOW for a couple of years and we successfully placed approx. 200 abandonned cats/kittens into new loving homes. SOS MIOW is no longer officially in operation, but I still try to guide people who are involved in helping animals.
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

I forgot to say im a girl.:queen: and im South African but now living in Canada. i have one kitten.
Old May 31st, 2007, 03:35 PM
Queen

Market research.
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:53 PM
FatFat and LittlMan's Mom

Hello, I am Kelly from Duluth, Minnesota and I have two orange and white tabbies that I rescued from the humane society.

Butch and Sunny's Mom

Butch (aka Fatfat) 8/11/2005
Sunny (aka LittleMan) 8/11/2005
Old September 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM

Hi

I'm new to this board I am getting all kinds of info it's great. My name is Donna I live in BC Canada I have a female cat Asia her son Rocco who was hit by a car just under 2 weeks ago thats what brought me here. A male budgie Boo-boo bird I get a wolf whistle from him daily and he says pretty bird and lots of not understood words lol 3 rabbits Angelina Runty and Guido 11 layer Chickens we call them Tipsy and the hazel nuts Tipsy is the leader lol and lastly 3 fish Fred panda and thumpy. Anyway I hope to make many friends here whats not to like about animal lovers
Old November 11th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Ontario Dog Lover

My name is Lynn, from Ottawa. I joined quite a while ago, and visit this forum from time to time.
I have two dogs, a portuguese water dog, Tillie, a mini poodle, Kiko, several aquariums, pet mice, a guinea pig.....thats it.
This forum is a good source of info and I've noticed this visit that there is way more than there was my last visit. Great food threads.

I always send people here that I meet locally and need pet help.
many fish
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Of Wing, Paw, & Hoof

My name is Heather and I live in southwestern Pennsylvania. My husband and I have 2 dogs, 1 cat, 1 parrot, 1 rabbit, 1 goat, and 2 horses. No one in our family is allergic to animals.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
Getting defensive

I am a Canadian female with a dog, a cat, some fish, and a couple of rodents.
I am not allergic to *my* pets overall, though I will get itchy because of my cat if I slack on grooming her, or get a scratch.
Old January 26th, 2008, 06:48 AM

moz1

i have a 14weekold kitten has tapeworm iv used wormingsyrup a few days ago just asking to find out what i should look for when pasing becouse she is looseing a lot of what they look like are eggs and some that r not eggs they look dead not sure if thats what is supposed to do and look like they are comeing out of her even when she dont go the loo they look alot like white rice shes not showing any signs of being ill she is very play full hope you can help thankyou moz1
Old January 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Hi- My name is Kathy. I have 2 dogs (english springer,standard schnauzer) and a cat (a elderly orange tabby). I am from Ontario, Canada. I am allergic to my cat so i don't let him sleep on my face---he loves to do that!!
Old February 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM

Hi im Kay and from the UK i have 1 Blue Merle Border Collie who is nine a Siberian Husky who is 2 and 1 Alaskan Malamute who is 7 months
Old June 21st, 2008, 01:24 PM

My name is Brandy, I have a Rabbit, and A Pom.
I AM allergic to Babii (Bunny).
But I can put up with it for her.
..If you havn't noticed. I'm a female.
I also live in Canada
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I have two dogs of my own, a 3 yr old female newf named Hazel and a 4 year old male collie/hound mix named Malone. I also have one green iguana, 18 years old, named Spike. His companion passed away this spring at the age of 16.

I am also grandma to a 3 yr old male newf named Parker, and a 3 yr old female SharPei named Lexi. I normally tell people I have 4 dogs because I have my son's dogs quite a bit and I pay for their food and vet care.

I am allergic to the dogs, but only if I have not had my allergy pill that day and they want to lay on my head or rub against my face. The only time I notice it is if I'm laying in bed and Hazel comes in to snuggle - she likes to lay her head across my neck, so her fur is right next to my nose. After a few moments of that I will start sneezing and then coughing - if I don't get up then I'll end up having an asthma attack. I am extremely allergic to Spike's litterbox and have a very difficult time cleaning his cage. It causes an asthma attack every time.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Master of the Drool!

I just found this thread and thought it was cool to hear all about everybodies furry family. My name is Karly and I am from New Brunswick but live in Ontario. I have 4 two legged kids..1 boy and 3 girls and 2 english mastiff boys around 7 months old. Matt and Murphy. I have had in the past Brandy (labx) Willie and Emma (havanese) Jayco (German shepard) and Cricket and Maggie (poodles). Nice meeting all of you
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 11:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

My hubs has a 6 yr female yellow lab, named Tegan. She is his guide dog, but she is my garden and tv compainion. *S* She is my sweetie!

We have a 6 yr old cat Wilbur aka Willie that was born in our garage and his momma left him behind when she took the other 5 siblings. He was the runt and has a bad eye.

I was scared to death of this little 4 wk old kitten and didn't know what to do with him, I have always been a dog person. But this is where the love affair with cats happened.

6 wks ago we adopted two kittens. They were found in an old junk car.

The Male is O'Shawnnessy and is the sweetiest little thing and loves everyone and everthing! (Even Willie when he is being a poop head to the kittens.)

Maribelle, is his sister and is smaller, is very shy but thinks she is part monkey! She loves to explore and climb things.

Dexter, is my 7 or 8 year old goldfish, that my son says is part salmon cause he is so big. He lives his winters in a huge plastic garden tote, cause he is too big for an aquarium. In the summer he is put out in the pond. My grand daughter thought it wasn't nice that Nanny's fish didn't have a name, so that is why he does now.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:20 PM

I've judt joined a couple weeks ago actually, but anyways...
I'm canadian
I own...
a male hedgehog
a male Shih tzu poodle mix
a female german shepherd beagle mix
and a "male" ball python (we're not 100% sure if its a boy though lol)
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM

I'm Deb - I share my home with hubbie, our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Mindy, (until September with our 11 year old Golden Zeus), and soon to have another sweet Cavalier, Max
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:09 AM

Hi my name is Kim and I live in the UK with my husband and we have 3 rescue Bull Terriers 2 white girls age 10 and 5 and 1 tri-clour boy age 2 years old, we also have a ginger boy cat approx 10 years old and I plecostamus cat fish who is 20 plus years old. Not sure but I think that is quite old for a fish he was a rescue too.
Old April 14th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Smile

Carolyn, I'm a female from Canada and I have a cat-Hank and a dog-Monty (although Monty has passed, he is still my dog). But I regularly have 3 other dogs and a cat in my life. The dogs are Duke, Chimo and Charlie. The cat is Little Devil.

And I am allergic to the cats. And Duke. But that doesn't matter to me....what's a few hives, swollen eyes, swollen skin(when scratched) and sneezing compared to unconditional love?? Certain animals affect me more than others but I love them all the same.
Old April 21st, 2009, 11:52 PM
^.^

Hi I am Catherine. I have moved from the USA to Campinas Brazil ^^. I had 3 dogs and one cat (used to be two but a neighbor poisoned rugrat ) They have all been family pets and I have always had a cat since I was a baby. So of course moving to Brazil made no difference. Once settled in first thing I did was go adopt a kitten. Which I am very happy about, they treat their small dogs like gold here but the cats are treated like crap. Never had a boy pet so Oliver is a first ^^. So currently. ONE NEW KITTEN!!!
Old April 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Skylar's Farm

Maybe the poll needs a category for farm pets?
I have 2 Nubian goats, siblings, 5 years old, male is castrated.
We have 3 cats, (my dogs have passed away), 5 chinchillas, 2 goldfish, 3 box turtles.
Past pets:
Horses, ponies, chickens, quail, birds, parrots, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, salamanders, newts, frogs, tortoise, hermit crabs.
I have rehab-ed wild birds.
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Animal lover!

My name is Jill and my hubby is Ron, we live SE of Leduc, AB on an acreage.

We have 2 inside cats (Willy and Simon), 1 outdoor cat (Baby), 1 Yorkie (Cooper) and soon to be adding another puppy. We are getting a Bernese Mountain Dog in June from a Breeder here in Alberta. They were born in 3 weeks ago! We have been waiting for quite a while for one and we are very excited about our newest arrival!

My Betta passed away last fall after 2 wonderful years but we are considering getting another one.

Also, we are getting sheep this summer and maybe some pygmy goats!
Colby - 1 year old DMH
Rudy - 1 year old DSH
Domino and Daisy - 6 month old DSHs
Cooper - 3 year old Yorkie
Max - 2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
and countless other foster kitties along the way!

R.I.P. Baby, the best kitty ever
R.I.P. Anthony 'Three Tails' Gambino aka Tony - Betta