Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
Too make myself clear on this.

Buy a mutt from a shelter dont buy a dog from a breeder of any sort

If you buy from a breeder then you have no reason to bitch that someone else wants her dog to have puppies especially if they have good homes waiting ans they are willing to have good vet care

No one NO ONE needs a purebreed dog and every purebreed dog that gets made means one more mutt in a shelter that wont go to a home

I am sorry but i regard people who buy purebreeds as elitist.
Oh, you made yourself perfectly clear. It's okay for this OP to let this dog have her litter, although if she can't provide papers, legally she can't call them purebred and that's okay by you because now they're mutts Oh, and they'll likely end up in a shelter some day anyway. Or better still, she'll want to keep one of the puppies more and send mom off to the shelter.
Sorry Jim, I'll refrain from taking the bait on your posts anymore, just couldn't resist this one last time. Obviously I don't agree with you, or could you notice.

Cindy
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Thanks, Jim. I've never been considered an elitist before!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
Kitty pimp

so why dint you get a dog from a shelter ? instead of a pure bred?
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:

so why dint you get a dog from a shelter ? instead of a pure bred?
Because hubby hunts. People buy working dogs all the time--some breeds are just better for some functions than others. Does that make us elitist? I don't know--we have English setters here that don't hunt. In fact, that's why Grace is here now.

I think 'elitist' is a mind set and can apply to people who set up their own standards and judge others by them. Perhaps that makes you an elitist, too, Jim.

Is that wrong or bad? Not necessarily. If you're passionate about your standards, it can be a very good thing. Not everyone might agree with you, but you stand on your principles. And I applaud you for standing up for your principles.

You just can't expect everyone to see things exactly the same as you do.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
-

Well said sugarcatmom and others...

Ravyn I couldn't agree with you less. Taking on the guardianship of a dog comes with some very serious responsibilities. One of them is gaining knowledge about responsible ownership and healthcare. Keeping an intact male and female and allowing dogs to mate is a failure to maintain responsibility. Sadly, it's always the female who suffers the heaviest consequence of this carelessness and irresponsibility.

In my eyes, the most ethical, loving and responsible thing to do here is to not further endanger your dog's life by forcing her to give birth. Spaying her immediately and terminating a suspected pregnancy also means that your inexperience and lack of knowledge about animal birthing will not result in serious health complications or the death of your cherished dog.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 03:44 PM
The demons' servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
dtbmnec

You had said that the OP was TOLD by the VET not to get her spayed until 6 months. She then went into heat, and it seems that she MAY be pregnant.

She also said in her original post that if she IS pregnant then she will SPAY after this litter.

That wasn't this OP I don't think, regardless, if you have intact males and females you're responsible for making sure a pregnancy doesn't occur. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that someone is going to have their dogs spayed after this litter and the excuse that the vet told them to wait until the animal is 6 months old doesn't wash with me .

Cindy
Ooops that was my bad...I'd seen the other thread about a dog going into heat and thought it was the same person....woops....don't mind me I'm a right now LOL

*goes back to her corner and shuts up*

Megan
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Too make myself clear on this.

Buy a mutt from a shelter dont buy a dog from a breeder of any sort

If you buy from a breeder then you have no reason to bitch that someone else wants her dog to have puppies especially if they have good homes waiting ans they are willing to have good vet care

No one NO ONE needs a purebreed dog and every purebreed dog that gets made means one more mutt in a shelter that wont go to a home

With the exception of the two dogs I have now - which were given to me free and clear - EVERY SINGLE dog I have had in the past 20 years has been from a shelter.

Sorry, but elitist I may be. I admire a well bred workable working dog. And I think that anyone who thinks that ethical breeders shouldn't breed is arrogant.

I guess that means that everyone has their own opinion.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:40 PM

These threads make me sad. :sad: I've just had to go through a rash of dog euthanasias. One of them a gorgeous, purebred. (UKC registered, "purple ribbon bred", multiple show and field champions in 7 generation pedigree....)

At this point in time, every dog/cat born means a dog/cat dies. TOO many animals, not enough homes. I think everyone should have to go to their local animal shelters and watch these animals die, why should I be the lucky one?

I have to take a break from this board, for the time being. :sad:
Old August 22nd, 2007, 07:17 PM

This thread has run its course and will now be closed.
Closed Thread