Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old May 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Getting defensive

Aww - the goslings are adorable !

Pugsley Bo
Butterscotch
Burbel Grey
Old May 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Just down the street from me,maybe a 15min walk,is Lake Ontario,with Swans,Ducks,Geese etc...and people are always yelling about the Geese and the poop they produce.
Culling always comes up,they even stuck them in trucks once,where several died,to transport them away from the park.
But every year there is still the same amount of Geese
Honestly,who are we to decide to kill off birds,the same as the Cormorants in Toronto,who are we to decide there is too many of anything??
They all have a right to their habitat IMO.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Baby birds abound here right now. Mostly starling and redwing babies at the moment. Not really good fliers, but cute as cute can be. No cats come in the back yard because of the dogs, so they find the pond and rock garden nice safe nurseries.
Here's a baby starling, and a couple of goldfinch pics.

Cindy
Attached Images

Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

A couple more from the weekend. A chunky robin and another redwing.

Cindy
Attached Images

Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

clm,great picslove your camera!!
I soo feel for the poor Starling moms,always having at least 3 screeching babies after herespecially since they are the same size as her.
The Goldfinches are very pretty,I have a few too.
My birdhouses have Sparrow babies,we hear little peeps coming from there,hopefully they'll survive,the parents work really hard.
I cannot get a pic of the houses,they are securely hidden in the vine on the house.
Before we take the cats outside,we always check for any baby-birds and I won't let them get even close to catch any birds.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 07:25 AM
banned user

Heres a picture of me with my ducks taken a few years back..i still have them!I regret to inform you that it is me in the picture along with butch the guard duck! . http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...icaandDuck.jpg
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The first brood of hummingbirds has fledged and the second is in the nest. We're already going through 1.5 - 2.0 liters of nectar a day...I'm gonna hafta hire someone to help me fill the feeders once the migration begins!

Meanwhile, though, I'm just enjoying having them back for the summer. Here are pics of a few of the moms:

Name:  Hummer mama 6-5-08.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  14.9 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeders 6-5-08.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  12.3 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Live well, laugh often

Love the hummer shots Hazel . I've noticed quite a few females at our feeder this year, don't remember seeing them before so hopefully that means a nest in the area .
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Remembering Lukka

Great hummer pics hazel. I had my feeder up but didn't get any action on it at all. I will wait now until they leave at the end of summer and see if I can catch some going through.
Old July 1st, 2008, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,you're soo lucky,I wish some would come to my feeder:sad:
Talked to my son in Alberta,they have tons of Hummingbirds every summer.
They have 2 feeders hanging off their balcony..I wonder why there seem to be more Hummers out west??
Old July 1st, 2008, 09:52 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lukka'sma and chico2--you are officially invited to come to WI in August to help hazel fill feeders! I think we're going to have a bumper crop come through this year.

chico, I think the hummers have always been more plentiful out west--it's milder as a rule and the habitat seems to suit them better. Look at all the different species they have out there, as opposed to the mere handful found east of the Rockies.

That being said, however, I'm not noticing a lack of them around here, and we're decidedly east of the Rockies. We only get the Ruby-throated variety here, though...with an occasion appearance by an Anna's in the southern part of the state (one wintered over in the Mitchell Botanical Domes in Milwaukee a few years back ).

I think it's a matter of location, location, location...and we just lucked into a good spot when we moved here!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; July 3rd, 2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
Animal lover!

We have this yellow bellied sapsucker nest just outside our bedroom window. Here are mom and dad, they both return to the nest to feed the babies every 8 minutes or so.
Attached Images

Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's pretty cool, jillybeanrocks! Must be fun to watch

And looky there! Daddy is actually being productive! She's a lucky lady, that Ms Sapsucker is!

Any idea how many might be in there? It'll be fun watching them fledge!

Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM
Animal lover!

From what we've read they could have up to 6 in there. We hear them calling for mom and dad all the time. We even think mom or dad is teaching them to peck the inside of the nest because we can hear the knocks on the tree as we're standing there watching them.

We had a robins nest earlier in the spring, they had 4 babies and all of them are constantly all around picking up bugs. They scare us half to death sometimes because we turn the corner around the house and they all scatter

Now hopefully we'll get to see the humming bird and goldfinch babies at the feeders soon! We keep our eyes open and the camera handy.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We've got hummer babies here already--the moms are brooding the second clutches already. The babies look like moms...the only way to really know that you're beginning to see babies is to look at the beaks. Males have proportionately shorter bills, so if you see a "female" with a shorter bill, chances are you've just seen a juvenile male.

Well, that's true of the ruby-throated hummingbirds, anyway. If you're far enough west to get some of the other varieties that we don't get here, it may be different...

Old July 4th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Jillybean,that's a great picture,you are lucky to be able to watch them.
I have 3 birdhouses but they are filled with Sparrows all year around and lots of babies.
But there is more diverse action at my feeders,unfortunately my camera only has a 3x zoom,can't get close enough most of the time.
"My" Crows have 3 babies,very hungry babies and yes,I love"my"Crows.
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Animal lover!

Thanks! And thanks to my hubby who got me a new 10 mp, 18X zoom camera for my birthday a couple weeks ago.

I think the ravens tried to build a nest here but all the robins chased them off. If a raven, minding it's own business, even so much as flys over our property the robins start chirping and attacking it. We have 10 acres so I think the robins are always on the look out.
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Here,my 2(now5)Crows chase away hawks or any other large birds,only while the Robins and the Black-birds have young,do they chase the Crows away.
Whenever I cut the fat off meat,or have leftovers,I feed it to my Crows,they come every morning and let me know
The Crow-babies are funny,very cautiously approach the food,as if it's going to bite.
I am hoping to get a new camera one day,with a better zoom
Old August 7th, 2008, 04:52 PM

Great pics everyone!!! here are a few of mine....
Attached Images

Old August 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM

a few more...
Attached Images

Old August 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM

as you can tell i really enjoy photographing birds
Attached Images

Old August 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM

a few more
Attached Images

Old August 7th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Animal lover!

Wow Goldyy! Very beautiful pictures! What type of camera do you have?
Colby - 1 year old DMH
Rudy - 1 year old DSH
Domino and Daisy - 6 month old DSHs
Cooper - 3 year old Yorkie
Max - 2 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
and countless other foster kitties along the way!

R.I.P. Baby, the best kitty ever
R.I.P. Anthony 'Three Tails' Gambino aka Tony - Betta
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Goldyy, my modem isn't fast enough....nothing is downloading for me where your pics should be. :sad:

Here's a shot of the eastern phoebes that nested under the deck. The youngsters are pretty old here--they fledged the next day. On this day they were still testing out the edge of the nest. There were four of them in there!

Name:  Baby phoebes in the nest 7-21-08.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  37.6 KB

The hummingbird migration is starting up pretty well now. The adults are all molting and/or on the move now. The only time I see adult males is first thing in the morning and getting on toward dusk. We're up to 10 cups of nectar a day now....

Old August 8th, 2008, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Goldyy,beautiful pics
Glad to see another bird-lover,my camera is just not good enough to get that close to any birds:sad:
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Thank you so much jillybean and chico, glad you liked them ,and so sorry you cant see the pics hazel :sad:, the pic of your baby phoebes is awesome!! i haven't seen one in my area yet this year ...jillybean my camera is a Cannon G9, i havent had it long and im still learnin how to work it lol....thanks again and here are a few more pics,,,enjoy
Attached Images

Old August 8th, 2008, 10:18 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

My connection is better today--I could download 5 1/2 pictures! Awesome shots of the hummers, goldyy!!! And I looooove chickadees and goldfinches. They entertain us all year round

Old August 8th, 2008, 10:26 AM
-

Manged to see some of them. I'll try again later for the rest. I couldn't even see your Phoebes Hazel :sad: Man I hate dial-up.
Old August 8th, 2008, 11:33 AM
-

TeeHee, finally got to see them, great pics I love birdies. Thanks for the tip Hazel, I'm learning every day
Old August 8th, 2008, 08:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

WoooHooooo! Was finally able to download the red-winged blackbird and the mallards!

I like your camera, too, goldyy!! Great shots!