Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM

How to train a forgetful dog

First things first, I personally do not own a dog. My roommates however own three of them. This is actually a two part question. One about the dog and one about cleaning up after dogs.
One of them is quite well behaved and barely causes trouble except for when he barks at people entering the house. But that's fine.
One of them is a new puppy that they just got from their dad and so he's in the middle of being trained where to go to the bathroom.
The third one is the issue. More or less, he is a little slow in the head. My roommates have the new puppy going to the bathroom on sheets and for the most part he's done ok. But as a result the floor needs to be washed constantly to clean where to sheets were laying.
My roommates have been using antibacterial floor cleaner, but the smell of dog pee lingers in the entire house and there's a grimy feeling on the floor as is the pee has just been spread all over the place.
Since this has happened, the third dog has begun peeing in random places around the house. In the middle of the floor, against boxes, everywhere and it's really getting on my nerves. I should add that there is a dog door on the back door and he can go outside anytime that he wants.
How on earth can I help train this dog to stop peeing or even marking inside the house with the new puppy around? Keep in mind this dog is slower in the head. He's quite forgetful sometimes. Any advice would be great.
And the second question is how can I advise my roommates to get rid of both the dog pee smell and the grimy feeling on the floor? I've tried to tell my roommates to get a mop with disposable one time heads/sheets like the swiffer wet jet but one of them is convinced by the internet rumor that swiffer wet jet is harmful to her pets. She's stubborn and will not budge on that front. But the fact that they use the same mop every single time they clean the floor leads me to believe that's the major cause of this.

Thank you to anyone that can help.
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

1. They need to teach the pup to go outside - otherwise they are teaching going inside is okay and it will be tougher to 'unteach' that.
2. Using a 'reusable' sponge mop shouldn't be so bad if they are rinsing it very well with clean water.
3. Have a spray bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide handy, or make a spray bottle of very cheap vodka and spray the area you are sponge cleaning with either (not both) and go over it more than once with the clean sponge mop.
4. You can use cheap vodka to clean the whole floor but it could smell like a bar until it dries. But it cleans really well and doesn't harm the dog (because you do a rinsing swipe over the tiles at the end).
5. The older dog is undoing his house-training and needs to be trained like the puppy should be getting trained. He needs to go out a lot and praised when he soils outside, when you aren't watching the dog he needs to be managed in the house with a crate, xpen or small room. Or he should be attached to you by a leash so that you are mindful of the signs and signals he is giving so you can successfully get him out in a timely manner. It is also handy to set him up to be caught so that you can claim your territory and be very clear (but not unfair) letting him know you don't like that - usually a snappy "no potty" and a clap of your hands should suffice - then take him out. This way he learns the balance of 'You do not like it when he soils inside, you love to see him soil outside'.
But this takes a lot of diligence on the people's part and everyone needs to take turns being responsible for the dog so you aren't counting on the other person doing it because too many loopholes are created for failure.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old November 5th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope you do not mind me saying this but the puppy is not the one that is "slow in the head" , if anyone is it your roommate. They're teaching the puppy it is OK to pee on a sheet and once that puppy get big enough it will think it OK to pee in bed too. A sheet is not going to keep the urine off the floor, you can buy training pad for puppies and this will keep the from getting pee on it. There are products that will get rid of the smell of the urine, it will not do any good to try and cover up the smell of urine up as the dogs will still be able to smell urine and pee on it. This is not the dog fault at all , the owner need to get rid of the smell on the floor or the puppy will keep peeing on it. The puppy is being trained to pee in the house and the others dog now think it OK too.
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Barkingdog, your statement made me laugh but it is bang on! The puppy needs a kennel or xpen with a solid floor and puppy training pads if it is being left in the house. An enzyme cleaner should be used to clean all accidents, and absolutely every effort at teaching the pup to go outside needs to be implemented. As soon as the puppy wakes up, outside, ten minutes after he eats, outside, after vigorous play, outside. Have an absolute party with him every time he does his business outside, it's a good thing!