Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 21st, 2008, 08:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Unhappy The diarrhea continues.. but in all six and mom

It started with PC. I watched what he was eating, gave him pumpkin which helped for a while, and watch his water intake. He drank a lot which was great. Then on Monday night I was cleaning up way too much crap for one kitty. It turns out they all have the same issue. And the feral mom cat in the porch too.
I took a stool sample to the vet yesterday morning to have analyzed. No sign of any issues, no worms, it was clean. Well, as clean as poop can be. He prescribed 1/2 mm of kaopectate 3 times a day for 3 days. No problem. I got a new syringe from him and went and bought the kaopectate.
This is where the fun begins. I now have a very scratched up hand and arm. Even six week old kitties don't like having medicine. I guess I will have to wear a suit of armour for the next few days.
When I went to the porch to feed the family there I opened the cage to see crap all over the sides of the litter box. Obviously too much for the kittens. I am thinking Yikes! How am I going to give her (mom) this stuff? She has been really good at letting me pet her (I got brave again) but the weird thing is I have to be wearing gardening gloves. If it is my bare hand she won't let me near.
So, I got a syringe of stuff ready, (2mm) and reached in and picked her up. I kind of held her as tightly as I could without hurting and put the syringe in her mouth as far as I could and pushed the plunger. Yep, guess who wore half of the kaopectate? So, I spread a little on her feet. Last I checked her feet are nice and clean and she is curled up sound asleep. this new adventure is over soon.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 21st, 2008 at 09:13 AM.
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:07 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

messy litterboxes.

Did this come on suddenly? Could it be a change in their food? (from rodent to cat food)

Good luck with the kaopectate!!! I know how hard it is to give meds to kitties.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh no! Maybe it was something the mom had the whole time and since they are nursing they all have it now. Do cats get stomach flu?

Have they all been eating the same thing, something maybe that was bad?

Giving cats medicine is never easy, even with those syringes. And that's when they're friendly.

Good luck! I hope whatever is causing this has run its course.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I am blaming it on the fact that I ran out of the normal hard food they were eating and sent hubby down for some because I couldn't leave the greenhouse. He got TSC crappy food but I was stuck. They like their hard food too. It's the only thing I can think of since the vet ruled out worms and other illnesses.
On the good side though I was able to tell my daughter last night that her kitty doesn't have worms.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Just an FYI, I'd be very careful using kaopectate in cats, especially kittens. The formula has changed in the last few years and it now contains an aspirin derivative that can be quite toxic to cats: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=0&SourceID=69

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:03 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Just an FYI, I'd be very careful using kaopectate in cats, especially kittens. The formula has changed in the last few years and it now contains an aspirin derivative that can be quite toxic to cats: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=0&SourceID=69

Thanks sugarcatmom! Geezzzzzzz, why would vets even be recommending it still? Now I am stumped. I guess I either wait it out or go to see if I can find something at a pet store or use pumpkin for mom. She's gonna love that!
I need to use something. They are all drinking lots of water. That's good. But now I am really worried.

Old May 21st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Kitty pimp

why not try some pumkin or squash and maybe some of the stuff that helps the intstenial flora ?
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree pumpkin puree may help and all natural
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't know if it's in season, but maybe some pumpkin or butternut squash you make yourself would be helpful, instead of the stuff you get at the market. At least it won't have any preservatives or anything.

Can cats have pedialight or pediasure? Isn't that what they give kids who are sick from getting dehydrated?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old May 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM
150% PRO S/N

I am going back to the pumpkin. I have some frozen from the other day when I opened the can. My stepson was hoping I was baking a pie. Was really disappointed when I told him it was for the kittens.
The pumpkin is great for mom. I just have to try to get it into her. She is feral. She let me this morning but now she knows what I want to do I have to be sneaky. I am not so sure about the pumpkin for the kittens. I have to take another kitty with an eye infection (just saw it) in to the vets this afternoon. I am talking to him and am taking in the article about kaopectate too.

Old May 21st, 2008, 10:20 AM
~Cat Servent~

I imagine it's got something to do with the food change. And even a touch of stress where porch mommy is concerned. I know Windy gets the poops every time I change the food, even if I do it slowly. Could even be the change in water too.... from puddles to tap water. They've had a lot of changes as of late.... and good ones too, may just take a bit for their guts to play catch up.

& coming your way that the poopers are over soon! I hate cleaning up poop smeared litter boxes!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:25 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
I imagine it's got something to do with the food change. And even a touch of stress where porch mommy is concerned. I know Windy gets the poops every time I change the food, even if I do it slowly. Could even be the change in water too.... from puddles to tap water. They've had a lot of changes as of late.... and good ones too, may just take a bit for their guts to play catch up.

& coming your way that the poopers are over soon! I hate cleaning up poop smeared litter boxes!

I thought of that too. The water thing. But that wouldn't explain the ones in the house. They have been in for a long time. I think it was that stupid food. It is going back to the store and they will receive a piece of my mind. Not much of it cause I can't afford to lose much more but some.

Old May 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I don't know if it's in season, but maybe some pumpkin or butternut squash you make yourself would be helpful, instead of the stuff you get at the market. At least it won't have any preservatives or anything.

Can cats have pedialight or pediasure? Isn't that what they give kids who are sick from getting dehydrated?
Yep, maybe. But pumpkins and squash are only available in the stores at the moment and the crap that is sprayed on them isn't the best either. The pumpkin I buy is 100% pure pumpkin.
I will check the other stuff and see what vet says but if he says kaopectate is ok then I am not sure.

Old May 21st, 2008, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe checking if Mylanta or Pepto might be better. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with the Kao

Old May 21st, 2008, 10:47 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Maybe checking if Mylanta or Pepto might be better. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable with the Kao

Noooo, what I meant was if he says Kao is ok then how can I believe anything else he says? Sorry, sometimes my brain is going a mile a minute and I don't get my point across properly. They will not be going back to kaopectate!
I told the receptionist at the vets when I phoned I want a cot down there to sleep. This is the third visit in 2 weeks. The joys.
Pepto has the same ingredients btw.

Old May 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Noooo, what I meant was if he says Kao is ok then how can I believe anything else he says?

It might be that the small dose he prescribed is okay, but I personally wouldn't want to use it in the kittens especially. If dehydration is becoming a problem, maybe carefully syringing some unflavoured pedialyte or gastrolyte into them would be better (good idea, ancientgirl). Or you could mix some in with baby food, if they'll eat it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM
150% PRO S/N

Ok, just got back from vet. I took in that article about Kaopectate. He read it, said he was not aware of that, and thanked me for bringing it in. I don't know if I should be happy that he is open to patients bringing in new info or if I should be ticked that he didn't know about it when the formula was changed back in 2002! I guess some of both?
Anyway, he gave me sulcrate to use for the kittens and mom. I haven't seen anything bad about it when I did a google search. He also said yogurt may help which I should have thought about but didn't.

Squeak, the kitty I took in, has an injured eye. He put a flourescein strip over her eye to check for scratches and it started oozing. Poor baby. She probably scratched it on a tree branch or playing with another kitty. I have to put a salve on it 3 times a day for 10 days. Guess who's in the house? Haven't told hubby yet!

Last edited by 14+kitties; May 21st, 2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
It might be that the small dose he prescribed is okay, but I personally wouldn't want to use it in the kittens especially. If dehydration is becoming a problem, maybe carefully syringing some unflavoured pedialyte or gastrolyte into them would be better (good idea, ancientgirl). Or you could mix some in with baby food, if they'll eat it.
Dehydration isn't an issue. I have been watching the water intake and it is quite good. It was a great idea for the pedialyte or gastrolyte. I will probably pick some up when I go for groceries. Have to find some money first. I told him I wasn't comfortable giving the kittens the kaopectate which is why he gave me the sulcrate. Yay me for standing up to a vet. Can I myself?

Old May 21st, 2008, 01:28 PM
-

Quote:
Dehydration isn't an issue. I have been watching the water intake and it is quite good. It was a great idea for the pedialyte or gastrolyte. I will probably pick some up when I go for groceries. Have to find some money first. I told him I wasn't comfortable giving the kittens the kaopectate which is why he gave me the sulcrate. Yay me for standing up to a vet. Can I myself?
Good for you 14+k, seems like you've got your work cut out for you, it's your busy season too, non?
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Good thing you feel comfortable enough to let your vet know you weren't comfortable with that. I'd do the same thing, especially after reading the article. The yogurt is a good idea too. I should start buying some for myself, that way I'd have some on hand if any of the F4 ever needed it. The Pedialyte occurred to me as an afterthought, but I'm glad it was helpful. Seems if it's safe for little kids it would be safe for pets

Old May 21st, 2008, 02:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Good for you 14+k, seems like you've got your work cut out for you, it's your busy season too, non?
It is Chris. Thankfully the weather is keeping people from their gardens so I have a couple of days of relative quiet. I have a few brave souls coming in but not many. The weekend is going to be much warmer they say so I should be busy then. I will have to take a few minutes to put the salve on Squeak's eye though. Hubby can hold the fort for a couple of minutes as long as no one wants to pay.

On a good note - the three kitties inside have all had a poo in the last half huor or so and it is almost back to norm. Maybe I jumped the gun worrying so much. But better safe than sorry. Now it's my porch kitties and mom. I gave her some sulcrate this afternoon. She was not impressed. I have her babies in the house having a playdate with their cousins so she can rest.

Old May 21st, 2008, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm sorry to be off topic, but you talking about momma kitty makes me think about that funny post I read her a while ago. About what dogs think and cats think, and the cat starts off by stating the length of it's "imprisonment." I wonder what momma kitty must think about her time behind bars and the crazy woman who keeps giving her these strange things to eat.

Old May 21st, 2008, 02:41 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
I'm sorry to be off topic, but you talking about momma kitty makes me think about that funny post I read her a while ago. About what dogs think and cats think, and the cat starts off by stating the length of it's "imprisonment." I wonder what momma kitty must think about her time behind bars and the crazy woman who keeps giving her these strange things to eat.
So true! But I have 2 mommas behind bars. The house one is getting better at being out but I have to put her in while I have the other kitties in because she freaks - hissing and trying to scratch. The one in the porch is doing sooo good! I can hold her and pet her belly (a little) for about 5 minutes before she gets antsy. That's amazing considering she has never had a human touch before. I guess the garden gloves help. She was used to the food. She was one of the ferals that I fed. It's those silly meds I keep shoving down her throat.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
But pumpkins and squash are only available in the stores at the moment and the crap that is sprayed on them isn't the best either. The pumpkin I buy is 100% pure pumpkin.
You can also use Heinz Organics pure pureed Butternut Squash Babyfood I use this for Duffy.

Because the stuff doesn't stay fresh very long in the fridge you can scoop the dose amount (ie Duffy gets 1/4 teaspoon per meal so that's what I scoop per cube spot) into icecube trays & freeze them, dump into freezer bag for use later - just warm up the dish in a little hot water or add a teaspoon to it.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:23 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler View Post
You can also use Heinz Organics pure pureed Butternut Squash Babyfood I use this for Duffy.

Because the stuff doesn't stay fresh very long in the fridge you can scoop the dose amount (ie Duffy gets 1/4 teaspoon per meal so that's what I scoop per cube spot) into icecube trays & freeze them, dump into freezer bag for use later - just warm up the dish in a little hot water or add a teaspoon to it.
Thanks for the advice growler. Already been done. I used to (when I had time) cut up, cook and freeze my own pumpkins for pies so am very used to doing that. I am giving the meds the doc gave me a shot to see what happens. It seems to have helped quite a bit. Scoots aren't nearly as bad this morning.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope they'll feel better soon
My Vinnie had the runs for a couple of days,what a mess in his longish white hair
Luckily it past quickly,with him I think it was from dirty water,he had been drinking water from the pool-cover
Now,no more water on the poolcover!!
You had a whole brood with the runs
Old May 22nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I have her babies in the house having a playdate with their cousins so she can rest.
Glad to hear they are doing better and good for you for standing up to your vet.

Playdate?? Ummm, where are the pictures?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 22nd, 2008, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree, we need pictures!

I'm glad they all seem to be better. And that's a great idea about the ice cubes. I'm going to have to do that.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
-

Pictures 14+k, you said the greenhouse is not that busy
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Critter Cult Peon!!

Location: small, decrepit-but improving!-farm in Southern Ontario
Thumbs up

14+, so sorry to read the above 'running commentary' -sorry, I know it's no joke. I'm glad to hear that the momcat and kittens all pretty much seem to be improving by now. All that medicating [ferals especially, I empathize with ya] and those vet visits...not to mention sleep deprivation re: you! Aiyiyi!

If it makes you feel even a TEENY bit better, I wormed my ponies a few days ago, and the 'almost a mini' pony I rescued last fall totally um, decorated her stall with loose fecal matter that night (previous caretaker?? of pony did not believe in worming ).

Also, my most recent feral-to-friendly convert is still having a bit of trouble with whole macho dude/"please love me!!" schism personality-wise, and today was a Let's Slash the Hand That Feeds/Pets Me day...OUCH !!
I do sometimes wonder about this servitude gene we critterslaves seem to have!

Alls I can say is, hang in there , you're doing/have done great stuff for your cats/ferals!!