Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Animal case angers senior

Daily Gleaner | Greater Fredericton
As published on page A1 on July 15, 2005

Animal case angers senior

LOVES ANIMALS

Fredericton senior citizen Cora Carle is starting a petition asking the provin cial government to work on tougher animal welfare legislation.

The 80-year-old woman delivered blank petitions to three veterinary clinics in the city and said she expects pet owners will start to fill in the blanks soon.

Carle, a former Minto resident, said she had always owned dogs. But now that she's older and living in an apartment, she can't keep up with daily dog walking and the responsibilities of pet ownership.

She dotes on her grandson's Chesapeake Bay retriever puppy, she said.

Political activism hasn't been on her to-do list before but after reading several articles of animal neglect in The Daily Gleaner, she decided to start the petition.

"This is a first for me," she said.

"I will gather them up and keep a check on them and see that they are presented ... I've gotten the ball rolling," Carle said.

Reading that dogs seized in the raid ended up back in the hands of the same owners horrified Carle the most. She said the dogs should have been placed in new homes.

Animal welfare and SPCA officials have been lobbying for stronger animal protection laws, but tougher rules have never been passed provincially.

"I think it's terrible to think that that has been shelved," Carle said Thursday. "I was motivated to try to do something to help."

Justice Minister Brad Green is promising to introduce stronger provincial legislation that would permit municipalities to toughen up their bylaws this fall.

Carle is determined to hold Green to that promise.

She said she'll consult with SPCA officials on the best time to hand over the petition to the province and remind Green of the need for better animal welfare laws.

Carle said petitions are located at the South Paw Animal Hospital at 389 York St., and the Main Street Clinic of Dr. Shawn Smith, and with Dr. Deb

bie Sewell at the City Animal Hospital in Devon Park Shopping Centre.