Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old January 24th, 2005, 08:59 AM
<-----nut ball

How long does adoption process take usually?

For the rescue people here, how long does the rescue process usually take (days, weeks, months?)

I submitted an adoption application for a dog saturday night. I wasn't really planning on starting to look for another month or so, but he was the perfect dog for us (even said in his "blurb" that he would be great for a first time owner, which we are!).

Also, in resuce, I assume you would always pick the best match for a dog right? Or do you also consider on a first come first serve basis? (i.e. if we completed an application first for the dog, and as long as we are a suitable match, would you consider us even if someone better filled out an application second?)

I'm just afraid of getting my hopes up! The dog is "Buddy" from Barlee's Angels (so if anyone here is from Barlee's Angels...please please please consider Archie and Rachael for adopting Buddy!!)
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

hi!

i know that with us, we consider who is the best match for the dog and it's not about first come first serve. sometimes, if everything lines up ( able to get phone interview and homevisit done right away etc.) then an adoption can take about a week. or if there is more running around to do, it can take a few weeks. sometimes we get in an application that doesn't match any of our dogs but they are still a great home, so we hang on to it until we have a good match for them.

i hope i helped! good luck with your hopeful if it is fate then it will work out. do you have a pic of him?
crystal
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:05 AM

On that note Raingirl....I was hoping to throw this question out too---do rescues ever adopt to people who work during the day?
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:06 AM
<-----nut ball

this is his pic from the Barlee's Angels site:

Thanks for the info Boxer. That's what I figured. I don't know where this guy is being fostered yet, so don't know where I am going to have to go to see him. It's bonus time at work, so getting a dog is what I'm doing with my bonus this year!

I know that he must have only been put up on petfinder Saturday, because he wasn't there Friday.

We are crossing our fingers, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up as I'm sure someone better will probably get him instead.

Lil-kirk, that's what I was wondering. It seems (based on my experience so far) that they don't like to. I don't think it's fair, but I can see how it is from their side (people with stay at home mom, fenced yard, vs apartment people who work 9-5)
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:15 AM

ahh hes cute
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Well With Boxer rescue Ontario We have had people wait a few weeks well some have waited months. Usually if your willing to take a dog over 4(we usually get dogs over 4) And your willing to take in a SND(special needs) then you might get a dog quicker. I know that we(boxer rescue) do adopt to people who work 8 hour days. We look to see what is best for the dog and what the adopter is looking for. Sometimes we do get dogs that cant be left alone for more then a couple of hours and then we get dogs that can be left 6-8 hours.

We have owner surrenders in for a week(to make sure that what the owners have said is true about the dog) And shelter dogs usually stay 2-3 weeks.

We have also been forunate that some adopters if they have a quiet dog are actually allowed to bring their dogs into work

Also Buddy is a very nice looking dog I see a small bit of pittie in him But none the less he is very pretty And I remember his story I will try to find it So you may read up about it
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

I know Barlee's Angels. Jen is a very reputable person and she is quite rightly very fussy about her adoptions!

The only goal of any rescue should be the welfare of the animal, and getting it the best home and best chance of staying in that home.

Not wanting to adopt dogs to people in rentals who are not home all day stems from the fact that if the dog barks and neighbours complain, the dog may end up homeless yet again. That is the last thing any of us want to happen.

Buddy is very cute!!
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:40 AM
<-----nut ball

I don't think that barking would be an issue as the apartments in our building are sound proofed (something to do with the fact that it was a partially government funded building as a majority of the apartments are for disabled people. I can't remember the exact reason that our landlord told us...). Plus, we live at the end of the hall and only have one neighbour (who is louder than a dog!), as the other side of our apartment is where the stairwells are.

Besides, there is a dog on our floor who constantly barks (diagnally across the hall from us) and once our door is closed you can't hear him. It's only when you are in the hall that you hear him.

And if our neighbour complains at all to the landlord, I will just remind the landlord of all the times I complained about his subwoofer (and I'm not the only one who has complained about that. All the people on our floor can hear it, as well as the people above and below him). And he plays it at 2 AM!! That's the problem with soundproofing, it dulls the sound, but base sounds comes right through! He has already been warned by the police many times about this!

Also, and I didn't mention this to Barlee's Angels (which I probably should) we don't plan on staying in an apartment much longer. As soon as my BF finishes his probation period at his new job, we are going to a bank to see what kind of mortgage we could get, so we can buy a house!
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

He is very cute and I am crossing my fingers for you guys.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:37 PM
<-----nut ball

Also, how often do you only get one application for a dog? What are the chances that we will be the only ones who want him?
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

What a cutie!I know Jen quite well and I also know how busy she is,so if it takes awhile please try and be patient.Working full time is not an issue for most rescues,almost all my adopters work full time.Depends on separation anxiety,access to potty breaks,and the individual dog.As Lucky said the apartment would be an issue if barking when alone is a problem,if that is not an issue and you have landlord ok,it wouldn't concern me.Sometimes I get many applications for one dog,but sometimes only one.There's no way to know that.Timelines also vary,having the people come and meet the dog,and getting a home visit done on the people depending on where they live and checking references can take time.Will you be able to travel to meet the dog,her foster areas vary and some may be far for you,by Guelph or other areas.I hope it works out for you!
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:17 PM
banned user

Good Luck Raingirl
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:23 PM
<-----nut ball

Thank LL1. That reassures me. I figured it might take a while, but BF and I are now ready 100% for a dog. We will make any effort required. If she called me right now and said, can you come tonight, I would.

I already talked to my sister, and she said if we need a car to go see a dog, or get stuff like food/toys, it's fine. Their car is more free now that my neice is off hockey for a while (tendonitis). The only thing with my sisters car is that my BIL is allergic to dogs, so I can't actually pick up the dog in her car. If we do get the dog, and can't find someone to help us get him, then we will rent a car if we have to.

I even cleaned up our apartment all weekend, getting rid of all small things and chewables (still need to figure some stuff out, like where to store the xbox controllers). We also need to make a trip to the "Safety Superstore" and get some childproofing things, like cupboard locks, etc.
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:25 PM

oh well good luck raingirl i know the right dog is out there for you!
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Trick for dog proofing your place get down on your hands and knees and look around from that level amazing the things you will see that you might have missed.
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Ah back to the basics!! I love it....we are pre-programmed to make things like puppy proofing a much harder task to figure out than just that--getting down to their level and seeing what we could hurt ourselves on! hehe
Old January 24th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

This is the simplest way that I ever found for puppy proofing. Or if they are really small pups lie on the floor. You might find a few things you have lost while you are down there.
Old January 24th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Ahhhh, what a cutie pie!
He looks more like pittie than a lab/golden cross to me, but what do I know??!!
I had never been on the Barlees site (I'm from montreal, so I check the montreal rescue sites). It's a really nice web site with some absolutely gorgeous dogs!
Did you seen Amy?? I think I would take them all home...but don't worry I'm far away..I won't be competing with you
Good luck, I'll keep my fiongers and toes crossed for you.
Attached Images

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old January 25th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

All fingers crossed for you!

He's a real cutie raingirl :love:
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:48 PM

Hi raingirl, i forwarded this thread to the lady who is fostering Buddy, she is also processing all the apps for Buddy as well She did let me know that they are looking at a few good apps for Buddy already, but will look for yours as well. If it turns out that Buddy isn't the best match for you, you can always proceed with getting your application pre-approved, and have Barlee's seek out a suitable dog for you.

BTW, Buddy was called a pit bull at the shelter, but as you can see, he is a mix of most likely pit bull and golden lab.
Old January 25th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Senior Contributor

hey Raingirl

crossing all our paws for ya over here!!!
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:27 AM
<-----nut ball

Thanks Spurby and everyone else.

I guess I will just have to wait then and see what happens.

Do you know what buddy's story is?

*update* I heard from the rescue. Aparently there are quite a few other people ahead of me, so my chances are low. I only got a voice mail, so I will call back tonight. They said that I could be considered for other dogs after the pre-approve me or something like that.