Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 1st, 2007, 11:52 PM

Help with minimizing heat symptoms

I find myself the one house on the block that attracts all the stray cats. I am at my maximum now but unfortunately the last cat who had kittens in my shed was going to be put up for adoption and we discovered at her vet appt that she has an extremely serious heart murmur and CAN NOT be fixed. She will not survive the surgery. I was stuck with her and her awful howling every month!! She did escape recently and had her litter just a few days ago. I am pretty sure that I have fixed her escape route and really do not want to put her down because of this. Can anyone give me advice on how to minimize the symptoms (mainly the howl) of her heat? There has to be some way to manipulate the hormones or something. My vet suggested that I could induce her eggs releasing by using a thermometer but this makes me feel dirty and I have heard it can be dangerous. Is there anything else you know of? Thank You.
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:55 PM
-

I really don't know ! Your vet suggestion sounds yucky to me , poor cat ! And poor you ! Did you ask another vet to get a second opinion ? I had a female (dog) foster with an heart murmur (only grade 2 tough) and she was spayed without any danger.
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:35 AM

Red face Heart MurMur level

yes it does doesn't it? :>
I got two opinions from vets and they both told me that the scale is 1-6 and she was a strong six. It appears that it is a defect and not any kind of infection just because she is 8 years old and still kickin'. They were both pretty sure that I might as well put her down and not do the surgery because she would not live through the anesthetic.
let me know if you hear of anything through the grapevine! I will try ANYTHING! haha
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
-

Okay...this is just me thinking outside of the box.

Do they not have a one-time only contraceptive (medicine) with which they bait and dose raccoons? Could the same thing or a modified version not be used with cats?
Old September 2nd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Good idea Mummummum, just because a medication isn't indicated for dogs or cats, doesn't mean that it can't be used experimentally. Our first dog had bad arthritis and was given medication indicated for use on race horses, not yet indicated for cats and dogs. It worked wonders for him. I would ask the vet, if he/she hasn't heard of any, then I would contact the university in your area that specializes in animals. Here in Ontario it would be the University of Guelph.

Cindy
Old September 4th, 2007, 12:21 AM

Wink good idea

I like that idea but would it make any change in the hormones? If I understand a cats cycle correctly they don't ovulate until the male penetrates (which is why the vet suggested the thermometer trick). But I guess if it reached the hormones it might help.
I also got a suggestion for using a natural medicine for anxiety and spraying.
BTW~
I am a huge think outside the box person so please go as far outside the boundaries as you can!!
Old September 4th, 2007, 01:08 AM

Thumbs down Ovaban????

I don't mean to do all the talking but as I am researching this I thought I would just throw stuff out there for a response by the community.
This is a synthetic hormone that is used to prevent the feline heat but it appears to have serious side effects. Not sure if it is safe or worth it.
let me know what you think