Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 11th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Preplanning makes success

Yeah, I'm looking into upgrading the food we're using. We've been using mid-line stuff (again- horrid with names and I'm too lazy to trek to the kitchen to see what we're feeding him - the can is pink though!) I had hoped he would not throw this stuff up, though, because I sent hubby out to get 2-3 cans of the food, and he came home with the bulk pack of 12 cans. Sigh.

He threw it up again today, so.. we'll have to get better stuff, I suppose. I guess it's possible its the kibble/ wet combo. I've been leaving out less dry food - when it's low, he eats less of it so there will always be food in the dish until I refill it. That way, he can keep coming back to snack on it. Smarty pants cat is what he is.

We're back to trial and error, either way. Less dry food with more and better wet food. I'll keep you posted, and thanks for the tips!
Old February 12th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Gibbons,my cats snack on dry,but I've found,if anyone vomits it's usually dry food coming up and I can still see the chunks.
I tried mine on Wellness kibbles and that was a disaster,they did not even chew the very small round kibbles and it all came back up.
I find the star-shaped kibbles works the best with my cats,but they do not eat much dry food.
After trying many different canned foods,I now have success with Pet Values own"Life Stages"Performatrin 3oz cans(pate-type)it's ingredients are acceptable.
Sorry your husband bought a case of food,but if Gibbons does not do well on it,you can return it for a full refund.
Old February 12th, 2008, 06:00 PM
proud to be a cat slave

I know how frustrated you must be (had a serial puker years back), but when you find the right combination you're going to feel so relieved!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:17 PM

So I got a better food (wellness, I think?) and I smeared it out flat across the plate (just mushed it down like a mashed banana) and it takes him forever to eat it cuz he has to lick it off the plate and can't just gobble the pieces whole. First time with no puking since I started increasing the amounts of food! Yey!
Old February 13th, 2008, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

That's fantastic!! I hope it stays that way. (Good idea, smearing the food around )

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Gibbons,that's great,hopefully he has thrown up yet
Great idea for making him eat slower
Old February 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Good job! Hopefully this cures it! Yay Gibson!

Old February 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Slightly but..

Gibbons, I actually used your technique of smooshing up the food - My kitten Alley eats super fast (even when she had her e-collar on after her spay! ) and then races over to eat poor Jake's food before he's finished.

We tried feeding him first, getting her to lick the spoon - slowly getting her dish and putting in the food, and Jake would still barely beat her.

Anyway, I thought about what you said and I figured I would give it a shot - It worked!
By spreading the food against the side of both of their bowls I can actually have them eat side by side and no one steals because it takes them so long to eat it!

So thanks!

Old February 15th, 2008, 05:59 PM

Glad to have helped

Gibson hasn't thrown up now in a couple of days and generally eats all of the food instead of leaving little bits to get all crusty and dry - I am thrilled to pieces! Can't tell if it's the new food or the mushing it on the plate, but I'm not about to experiment now that we aren't cleaning up after him every day.
Old February 15th, 2008, 06:04 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Great to hear - don't mess with a winning combination!

Old February 15th, 2008, 07:12 PM

that is good news.. glad you found a food/method that works and no more le heave
Old February 20th, 2008, 12:03 AM

So we're up to day 6 with the mostly wet food (still a small-handful of dry food a day, which I think the dogs are mostly scarfing down- his food dish is baby-gated off by the door, but they get a few mouthfuls in before I get the baby gate back up again) but he hasn't thrown up at all in six days, which is awesome.

ALSO! He's losing a little bit of weight, which is good (someone linked a webpage with the benefits of wet food, and he's classed as "overweight") and his dander has almost entirely disappeared. He also seems to have more energy and his litter box is less revolting-smelling. Also- and this is odd- but I've mentioned his peeing in the toilet thing, and the peeing in the bathtub happens sometimes too, but his pee was always that dark dark orange. But now, it's lemon yellow and will hopefully get better as I cut back his dry food. I know that with people dark yellow pee = drink more water, so he's obviously doing better with less dry food. Over all- I'm thrilled! So glad I went through the change, I'd never go back.

Thanks for everyone's help and input, he's doing great!

Last edited by Gibbons; February 20th, 2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old February 20th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Gibbons,that must make you feel sooo good.
I think most of us know the feeling of waiting to see if our cats/dogs food is going to stay down and the frustration if it does not.
Good going Gibson
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear Gibbons is doing so well on the canned food.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
-

WOO HOO for Gibson....he's going to be so much healthier now.
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:33 PM

That is so awesome, glad your kitty is doing well on the wet food!!
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/669963
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:00 AM

I'm just bragging about Gibson

So I'm honestly totally flabbergasted by the change in Gibson since we switched him to wet food.

He's losing a bit of weight - not much, really, he just looks a bit "sleeker." He plays like a kitten again- before he used to chase around after his toy on a string thing for 2-3 minutes and then get tired and rest; now he can go for a good 10 minutes solid without getting winded.

At first when we switched him, we noticed he was shedding more than usual, and he had really bad dandruff. The dandruff cleared up by itself, and the hair he was losing wasn't bad either- he just seemed to be getting rid of the bad hair or something, because now his coat is beautiful and glossy.

Now, the only time he throws up is when he eats the dog kibble or one of my room mates decide he looks hungry and gives him dry food <grumbles>

Now, imagine when I finally get him onto raw! He'll be like a whole new cat
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Gibbons that's great,cats wee just not meant to eat all the garbage that goes in to most kibbles.
Mine still eat kibbles,but their main foodsource is canned.
Old February 29th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That is wonderful, gibbons, Puddles changed so much too when I changed her food to Wellness, she wasn't overweight, but was having some health issues.

Sweet Pea was a stray I fostered, and her fur was so unhealthy when I first got her, she has super soft fur now.

Jasper scratched at his eyes and ears when he was eating cheap kibble, now he doesn't have any allergy issues.

My daughters cats lost weight on their own when they changed from cheap food to Wellness, grain free canned too.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 2nd, 2008, 03:18 PM

Wet is best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Actually, wet food IS better. Much much better. There is truly no good reason to feed any dry whatsoever to a cat. It's full of inappropriate ingredients, it has an inappropriate moisture level at 10% or less (cat's need 60-80% moisture - with their food), and it's massively overprocessed. It would be the equivalent of the feeding your kids nothing but breakfast cereal every day of their lives.

If you want more specifics, read this: http://www.catinfo.org/
Yes, I agree too! When I used to feed my cats mostly dry, they'd be buy the water bowl all day drinking! My one cat "Kitten" who is an adult male, formed crystals. Vet says the dry dehydrates him. I do give a tiny bit of "Blue Spa Select" as a treat. It's a bit pricey and Petsmart sells it, but all the ingredients are natural. I really like this brand and so do the cats!

And yes, both my 2 boys cats puke. We feed them smaller, more frequent portions. I notice they puke more when they're feeling rush or are very hungry. So we stick them in a quiet room and let them eat away. They still puke, but a lot less!