Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Question

I was wondering if it was safe and if the effect would be the same if I used the "human" version on my Aussie... I'm having trouble finding the "pet" version, but I'm thinking the pet variation seems to be sort of new, so from the look of it, people were using the regular kind before on their pets - and with success? (Give or take of course!)

"Be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

2005-... - Gorgeous blue merle Australian Shepherd (since June 2008)
R.I.P.
1980-1996 - My first dog - Welsh Terrier
1994-2006 - My beloved Chloe - Doberman
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I've used the regular one before and I know of others who have used the regular one as well. The pet one is relatively new I believe.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM

Rescue Remedy Withdrawal

I had a crazy aggressive cat. The Rescue Remedy would calm him down, but after about 4 hours he'd get crazy again, only worse. I would swear he was having withdrawal symptoms from the Rescue Remedy. I stopped using it with this cat.
Old January 11th, 2010, 09:49 AM

weight with rescue remedy

When I leave my dog alone he has major anxiety isues! He normaly has someone to watch him but he doesnt today and with no one he freaks out.. I got the rescue remedy to try calm him down when I leave so he isnt barking all day and stressing him self out.. but it doesnt say anything about weight. My dog is 5 lbs 2 yrs old.. should I still give him the 4 drops?
Old January 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
So this comes in a drop not a pill is this right?
Rescue Remedy does also come in pill form. The manufacturer calls it a candy.

DO NOT USE THE CANDY ON YOUR PET.

The candy contains xylitol which is toxic in small amounts to dogs. I could not find conclusive evidence of toxicity in cats but better safe than sorry.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxi...ylitol_tox.htm

Xylitol is a sugar substitute that you might find in many human food products, like yoghurt and gum.
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM
BassetHound Rescue Quebec

http://www.entirelypets.com/dapdog.h...Bng73bPkApglVT

Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP)
Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP)Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP)

Dog Appeasing Pheromone (DAP) mimics the properties of the natural pheromones to reduce or eliminate stress in dogs of all ages. Dog Appeasing Pheromone has a relaxing effect for both the young and adults dogs. It is an effective natural way to help your dog cope with new and fearful situations such as fireworks, thunderstorms, holiday stress, traveling or moving to a new environment.

http://bassethoundrescuechronicles.blogspot.com/ Blog

http://www.meetup.com/Montreal-Basset-Hound-GuardiansGroup/ Basset Owners Meet-Up Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=322077912703&ref=ts
Facebook
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM

I know this is a dead thread, but I am intested in the product so I'd rather not open a new thread.
I am thinking I will get some for Leo and myself, and rub it on his ears unless he requires a few drops. I am hoping it will take the edge off his separation anxiety while we do some desnsitisation training.

the DAP sounds interesting but it's EXPENSIVE wow lol
Old September 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
I know this is a dead thread, but I am intested in the product so I'd rather not open a new thread.
I am thinking I will get some for Leo and myself, and rub it on his ears unless he requires a few drops. I am hoping it will take the edge off his separation anxiety while we do some desnsitisation training.

the DAP sounds interesting but it's EXPENSIVE wow lol
We tried the DAP for Thorin, paid $65 and it did absolutely nothing for him at all

I was really hoping it would work. Maybe he's just a little too neurotic for something like that

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:00 PM

I think the spray sounds more interesting then the collar since I wouln't want him to be pheramoned constantly and would just want to use it as needed. The collar seems only to last a month once opened so the spray could be used as-needed. I will try rescue remedy while we do the desensitisation of our leaving, etc. If it doesn't help him at least I can take it when my nerves are fried... haha
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:00 PM

I haven't been able to find the pet version of RR anywhere locally. The vet pharmacy where I buy it hadn't even heard of it.
I have a bottle at home for Scruffy for car rides and a bottle at work for me. It really helped in my new job, when I was being hit with anxiety attacks.
HIghly recommend it, tho I understand it doesn't work for everyone.
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I think I'll post again for anyone who hasn't heard yet. DON'T use the rescue remedy candies for your pet. They contain xylitol.
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:17 PM

Don't Worry LB I got the regular drops, I'm very appreciative of the warning about the xylitol, at Provigo only cream, spray drops and sleep version were sold, maybe candies were sold elsewhere but I didn't see them.

I also just read that Tic Tacs contain some of the highest ammount of xylitol, whether it's true or not, watch your Tic tacs!

Last edited by cell; September 19th, 2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 08:45 AM

Just in case you're still looking for RR for Pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
I haven't been able to find the pet version of RR anywhere locally. The vet pharmacy where I buy it hadn't even heard of it.
I have a bottle at home for Scruffy for car rides and a bottle at work for me. It really helped in my new job, when I was being hit with anxiety attacks.
HIghly recommend it, tho I understand it doesn't work for everyone.
Hi Etown Chick,

I know this thread is probably as dead a a dodo by now, but just in case you, or anyone else is still looking for Rescue Remedy for Pets, you can get it from Amazon if you can't find it anywhere else.

Edited by Admin - link did not work - here is a fresh one. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=rescue+remedy

Last edited by marko; January 3rd, 2013 at 11:59 AM.