Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 22nd, 2009, 03:48 PM
-

Just Popping In

Howdy folks .....

I'm at a friend's place using her computer so I can let you know that I don't know how long it will be before I can get back here since my computer isn't working. :sad: I've had so many blue screen of death messages that I think I've come back from the dead.

A neighbour told me that I'm going to have to reinstall my Windows XP but my PCs for Dummies book says that all problems are fixable and you should never have to reinstall. I have no idea how to reinstall anyway so I may as well try to solve the problem .....I always have liked a challenge.

I just googled the error messages I got and they both mention one of the causes can be memory related or else a hardware or software installation problem or a virus. I had previously been getting lots of messages for awhile now that the virtual memory was low ....I know I have the same problem with my own memory so maybe it's contagious. Also, someone here told me it was nothing to worry about as windows would swap files or something like that but now I'm wondering if that really could be the reason why I'm getting the BSOD messages now.

Anyways, when I get home I'm going to put it into safe mode and run all my AV and Spyware programs and uninstall the Windows Desktop Search thing that I accidently installed and see if that helps.

If anyone knows anything about the memory thing please post it here ....I told my friend that I'll be coming to visit here more often now. Good thing she's like me.

Miss you all and hope to be back soon.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If you can, back up all your files--I had the same flurry of messages and it turned out to be either the hard drive or the motherboard...sigh...I've had enough failures lately, too, so I can't remember which it turned out to be that time. Regardless, if it's your hard drive, when it crashes you can replace the hardware but all your data will be lost. And if it's your motherboard, it might be just as cheap to get an entirely new machine as it is to replace a motherboard. So you'll want your data backed up before it crashes so you can put it out on the new machine.

I sure hope it's not the motherboard--hard drives are cheaper and easier to replace!

Just a thought--I've had similar memory messages when my CD drive was failing. When you get the BSOD, are you trying to read or write to a CD or a DVD?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
-

Computer problems again Rainbow ? I'm so sorry :sad:
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

rainbow hon, when it starts posting messages about memory, is it saying virual memory? If so that is how many mgs of ram you have. it's a little comp card you can put in your computer and increase. i'm with hazel, any pics, documents etc, that you can send to disks then delete with increase space thus increase ram.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
-

Almost time for hubby to come pick me up so thought I'd check in here one more time before I leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If you can, back up all your files--I had the same flurry of messages and it turned out to be either the hard drive or the motherboard...sigh...I've had enough failures lately, too, so I can't remember which it turned out to be that time. Regardless, if it's your hard drive, when it crashes you can replace the hardware but all your data will be lost. And if it's your motherboard, it might be just as cheap to get an entirely new machine as it is to replace a motherboard. So you'll want your data backed up before it crashes so you can put it out on the new machine.

When I get the BSODs it shuts down Windows and the mouse freezes and I have no keyboard control so I can't do anything.

I sure hope it's not the motherboard--hard drives are cheaper and easier to replace!

Being on a limited income these days won't allow for anything extra no matter what it is anyways.

Just a thought--I've had similar memory messages when my CD drive was failing. When you get the BSOD, are you trying to read or write to a CD or a DVD?
Nope ....I've never done anything with CDs or DVDs. In fact, I'd have to lookup in my PC Dummy book to figure out how.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:06 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
rainbow hon, when it starts posting messages about memory, is it saying virual memory? If so that is how many mgs of ram you have. it's a little comp card you can put in your computer and increase. i'm with hazel, any pics, documents etc, that you can send to disks then delete with increase space thus increase ram.
Ummm ....could all the hundreds of emails I haven't deleted yet have anything to do with the low virtual memory messages?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

ummmmm i doubt it, you're with hotmail aren't you, thus they aren't stored on your comp. oh i have changed my email address to stop that stupid Foto one coming from my acct. i sent you an email with the new one, but guess that will have to wait.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
-

Oh and I also googled about low virtual memory and found a website that said I could increase the size so I printed out the instructions to take home with me.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
-

Quote:
ummmmm i doubt it, you're with hotmail aren't you, thus they aren't stored on your comp. oh i have changed my email address to stop that stupid Foto one coming from my acct. i sent you an email with the new one, but guess that will have to wait.
I have a hotmail addy, a yahoo addy and also the Outlook Express one and they all have lots there.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
-

oh the outlook one may be contributing some. music, pictures stuff like that just eat memory. msn is a memory eater. large files, when was the last time you defragmented your comp
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:17 PM
-

The last time was a few months ago ....whenever I check it, it always says there's not enough to defrag at this time.

But I'm going to do it when I get home after I run the AV and Spyware in safe mode as that's the only way I have any mouse control.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:20 PM
-

Hubby is here .....gotta go. :sad:
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
-

delete anything and everything you can after the spy and av remember to empty the recycle bin..then defrag
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hey rainbow. Sorry you are having comp issues again.
Just to add some more advise .........
My stepson just read what you have written. He says if he were you he would reinstall your windows XP. It's the easiest thing to do. You should have a reinstall disc come with your comp when you got it. He said you have probably picked up a virus. It could also be that you have very little ram. If that is the case then you could add more ram but he doesn't think that is the problem.
My stepson is a comp geek. He got the highest marks in his classes in school and sells games he makes if it makes you feel better about his advice. My son in law is a bigger one but he's too far away to ask.
Hope this makes at least a little bit of sense.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:26 PM
-

But I can only do stuff in Safe Mode cuz as soon as the Desktop comes up, I get the BSOD message and Windows shuts down right away.

IE Privacy Keeper empties the Recycle Bin every time I exit a Window so there shouldn't be anything there.

But I will defrag even if it says there isn't enough volume.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:29 PM
-

i would try 14+s boys advice first hon, that way windows doesn't actually start up, so no desktop.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Hey rainbow. Sorry you are having comp issues again.
Just to add some more advise .........
My stepson just read what you have written. He says if he were you he would reinstall your windows XP. It's the easiest thing to do. You should have a reinstall disc come with your comp when you got it. He said you have probably picked up a virus. It could also be that you have very little ram. If that is the case then you could add more ram but he doesn't think that is the problem.
My stepson is a comp geek. He got the highest marks in his classes in school and sells games he makes if it makes you feel better about his advice. My son in law is a bigger one but he's too far away to ask.
Hope this makes at least a little bit of sense.
Is it easy to reinstall for an old lady that has never done it and doesn't understand computer language?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Doggie Wench

wait rainbow, don't leave, same thing happened to my pc!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
i think your comp is a special case honey....

rainbow yes it's easy to do, it will give you step by step instructions.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
What did you do?
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
-

Quote:
i think your comp is a special case honey....

rainbow yes it's easy to do, it will give you step by step instructions.
But are the instructions written for people that understand computer language? I have a hard time with configuring AV/Spyware programs and just guess with some of it.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
Doggie Wench

How old is your computer? DId you have something changed/repaired in it recently? DOn't know if you remember when I was having problems with mine? ANd it took half a dozen computer geeks and months to find the problem ?

The motherboard and hard drive were not compatible....even though they were made by the same company....when it was all sent back, they kept changing the hard drive over and over and they kept burning out....it was simply an incompatibility issue . I got a different motherboard installed, a new hard drive, and it's been fine ever since. And it was all covered under warranty cuz it was the company's fault.

Hang on, I'll get a pic of what the screen looked like before the computer would shut down automatically.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:36 PM
-

Okay, really got to go now ....hubby is giving me looks.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
Doggie Wench

Here it is.

Everything on my screen would freeze, mouse, keyboard, etc...tehn this would appear....then the computer would shut down .
Attached Images

Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
is it easy to reinstall for an old lady that has never done it and doesn't understand computer language?
no!....Name:  bart simpson.gif
Views: 278
Size:  27.3 KB :d
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:44 PM
-

don't listen to that evil country bumpkin, it is really easy to do rainbow.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
-

Quote:
don't listen to that evil country bumpkin, it is really easy to do rainbow.
Name:  goggle eyed.gif
Views: 486
Size:  1.2 KB Country Bumpkin

Name:  bong smilie.gif
Views: 484
Size:  6.9 KB
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
good point you're not a bumpkin,,,, ummmm flower child.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

With my old desktop I had to reinstall the start up hardware twice. It stinks because you lose everything on the reinstall, but both times it fixed my problems.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/2195 Difference between VIRTUAL memory & RAM

Reinstalling a FRESH copy of XP (reformatting your hardrive)

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp WITH PICS

It also may be your hardrive is full thus unable to defrag also could be reason why your have BSOD (Blue screen of Death) if I could see which BSOD error is I could also tell you if its RAM related.

HTH rainbow