Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old December 6th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Question prednisone and cats

Hi members,
I just joined today.I would love to hear your expeiences with prednisone and cats. I have a 14 year old kitty with IBS and a 2 year old kitty with athma. They a have both gone on prednisone. The asthmatic hopefully, temporarily. the cat with IBS ... who knows. What have been your expeeriences with prednisone? Thanks,Mind
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Steroids aren't my favourites, even for humans :sad: Is that the only thing that will help your cat? If you can find a natural remedy/lifestyle for him/her(?) it's usually the best. Sadly however, it's not always possible, or the vets (Drs.) don't know enough about it to advise and guide you.

Oh, and pls, pics of the kitties!
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:01 AM

prednisone

Hi Sarah,
Thank you for your reply. We didnt try the natural course. Frankly, I wanted QUICK relief for my little clem { the cat withIBS]. It looked like she was failing... and we thought we might lose her. As for Sam...the asthmatic cat we ae hopeful the prednisone will be for about a month... since he has a mild case of asthma. Do you think prednsone is dangerous for teh short haul? thnks,mindy
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

No, shouldn't be. Especially at controlled doses. I've just got a general waryness of the medics but for sure, if you need a quick fix, take it! Then ease into the natural treatement after the crisis is over (whatever the natural would entail in the situation you are in).
Old December 6th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Prednisone is not good for long term use in humans or cats and should be used only as a last resort.

You mentioned your cat has IBS, or do you mean IBD? One is a syndrome which is the colon movement of food is too fast or slow, the other is a disease of the colon itself (Colitis or Crohnes). Many symptoms of IBD and IBS in cats and dogs can be eliminated with diet change, unless it is a true IBD which is an autoimmune disease and steriods to get it under control, then tapering off should be done.

Have you done any experimentation with diet with your cat?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 6th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree that a diet change for the IBD kitty should be your primary treatment plan. A grain-free canned food or even better, a raw diet, are the best options. What does she eat now? What are her symtpoms (diarrhea, vomiting, both?). You might be interested in reading some more info here: http://www.catnutrition.org/ibd.php

As for the asthmatic, please read this website for some up-to-date info on treating with an Aerokat asthma inhaler: http://www.fritzthebrave.com/

Like Love4himies said, long term prednisone is never desirable unless there are no other options. I know many a cat that became diabetic from pred.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:02 PM

Angry prednisone for different problems

Thank- you all for your replies! The cat with IBS { Not IBD} is doing better, but still isnt really eating as much as she should be. She is on Reglan,Prednisone, a generic antacid, and an appetite stimulant. I am afraid to take he off the Prednisone until she is eating properly again, for fear of a relapse. My asthmatic kitty is doing fine on the prednisone. He has only been on it for a week. Oddly enough I had a15 year old cat who died as a result of asthma. She was on the inhaler. With the inhaler it was almost impossible to figure out how much meds she was actually getting. I refused to put my current cat on an inhaler...In a few days he gets half the prednsione.. and then a week later half again. He is off completely in two weeks. I am afraid to keep him on the prednsone... but even more afraid of what asthma can do.
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymo View Post
Thank- you all for your replies! The cat with IBS { Not IBD} is doing better, but still isnt really eating as much as she should be.
IBS tends to have a psychological (stress) component, has your vet talked about trying anti-anxiety meds like amitriptyline at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindymo View Post
My asthmatic kitty is doing fine on the prednisone. He has only been on it for a week. Oddly enough I had a15 year old cat who died as a result of asthma. She was on the inhaler. With the inhaler it was almost impossible to figure out how much meds she was actually getting. I refused to put my current cat on an inhaler...In a few days he gets half the prednsione.. and then a week later half again. He is off completely in two weeks. I am afraid to keep him on the prednsone... but even more afraid of what asthma can do.
Sorry to hear about your other kitty. that you find a pred protocol that does the trick for your current asthma cat. For sure it's better to deal with other problems if they come up and keep the asthma under control.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler