Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 20th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieDog View Post

Oh, and about the Teddy Bear....Apparently Theodore Roosevelt was a huge hunter. On a hunting trip a bear cub was tied to a tree and Roosevelt told to shoot it. Roosevelt said it was unsportsmanly and refused. Although he didn't shoot the bear, he did ask that it be destroyed and put out of its misery. There were political cartoons made about this. A stuffed toy was fashioned and the bear became "Teddy's Bear". Children fell in love with the toy. So the bear was named for U.S. Pres. T. Roosevelt.

Check this link for the history: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teddy_bear
DING! DING DING! We have a winner!

P.S. I see many a Scottie here in Florida. My best friend has one, "Duncan", which grew up with my dog. (After we neutered him, I re-named him "Duncan No Nuts"
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I believe the Teddy Bear started here in Canada by a member of the military if my memory serves me correctly. There was a young cub that was chained and a soldier named him Teddy. I am not sure about this but I think the bear was a mascot...
That was Winnie the Pooh. The bear was named Winnipeg, shortened to Winnie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie_the_Pooh
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
That was Winnie the Pooh. The bear was named Winnipeg, shortened to Winnie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie_the_Pooh
Ok - thank DOG...I thought I lost it! Thanks LB!
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin View Post
DING! DING DING! We have a winner!

P.S. I see many a Scottie here in Florida. My best friend has one, "Duncan", which grew up with my dog. (After we neutered him, I re-named him "Duncan No Nuts"
...good one!
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Actually of course they are going to get it through a sheler. Even if they wanted to get it from a breeder, for public image, they will get it from a shelter. And yes, I would have voted for Mr. Obama.

ACO22
I rest my case. As I said above in a previous post, Seems like I am not the only one who feels this way.

ACO22
Old November 20th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Kitty pimp

i think they should get 50 dogs one for each state all from the pound all mutts maybe couple of kits too

Last edited by Jim Hall; November 20th, 2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Ok, I did not vote for Obama, but as an American I stand behind ANY President elected into office, it is the right thing to do. And as far as discussing politics on this board, this is as far as it will go with me. Marko can tell what happens when I get involved with that type of discussion!

So, maybe on the good side. If the Obama family get's their White House pet from a shelter or rescues one, no matter the breed, there will be much media hype AND we all know a frenzy will occur, so just maybe these homeless pets will get their just rewards. Would this not bring awareness to the plight we all fight for here?

Oprah did two shows on byb's and puppy mills and was so moved she said she will no longer "buy" a pet, she will rescue instead. And she recently lost 14 year old Solomon just a few months after losing Sophie. I heard she is going to adopt when she feels the time is right.
People in the news can govern the market so much just by what they do, wear , drive or buy.
I am going to take the positive attitude road with this one. Unless they buy their pet, then it's the "here we go again" attitude.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Karin this is not about politics so I think you are pretty safe. It is about the 'frenzy' as you put it. I understand the posters concern. I get it.

If he does decide to adopt - then indeed it is sending a better message than if we find out that he bought from a petshop...that's a given.
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post

If he does decide to adopt - then indeed it is sending a better message than if we find out that he bought from a petshop...that's a given.
Let's all hope there will be an adoption, this would be wonderful for all who fight for the ones who do not have a voice. And for those without a voice that wakes up in a cage or pen every morning instead of the foot of the bed all warm and cozy, and loved.
I love them all but I think we all have our preferences and that is allowed.
I doubt there will be a pet shop or breeder involved and I so hope that is not the avenue the pet hunting mission takes. That would only be a strike against all who have fought the milling problem.
Mills and byb's are like cockroaches and vermin, they out number people like us and survive on barely nothing.
We need a tilt in the opposite direction, an edge to fight for the forgotten ones. This may prove to be the bite that rocks and upsets those cockroaches and vermin's that call themselves "breeders".

I do not know but would like to, where did "Buddy" come from? The chocolate lab given to Clinton that was hit by a car, if any one can inform me I would appreciate this info.
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that the reason they did not get a dog before this is because they wanted to be responsible and not adopt a pet during the hectic days of the campaign. They're waiting until they've moved so that it's less disruptive.

True, it will be cute and will sharpen their image as the wholesome American family. Nothing wrong with that !!

From what I've seen and read it seems that they would prefer to adopt a mixxed breed from a shelter but may need to get a purebred so that they know exactly what they're getting. One of the Obama girls has allergies so they want to choose carefully.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:24 PM

As far as I can recall, almost every First Family has owned at least one pet and sometimes more. I don't remember a "pet fad" resulting from any of the White House animals. These two girls are going to be under enough pressure as it is. The normalcy of having a puppy - like any other family in North America - is something they deserve. The animal will receive the very best of care and attention. It will be well-loved, I'm sure.

Long as a pet owner is responsible, kind and caring, then I'm not going to criticize or question him or her as to where that pet came from. I don't feel it is my business. I have rescue pets myself, but that's my own choice. I don't want to start making assumptions about the Presidential puppy-hunting, because I've learned it's dangerous to assume anything. I bought a local pet-store puppy some years ago, and totally enjoyed having him. I'd be very upset if someone took offence to my having done that. The bottom line is to get the "right" animal and treat it well.

If I were a breeder, and the President of the United States happened to choose "my" particular breed for his family ... I'd be thrilled! What better way to promote the breed and its good qualities than to have it selected by someone like Barack Obama? I think this would be a wonderful home for any lucky pet.

Last edited by faranya; November 22nd, 2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old November 23rd, 2008, 02:08 AM

People and their non-allergenic dogs! GAH good luck to them.
I spent two years trying to find a 'less allergenic' dog at the shelter. SUre they will have their pick of the dogs available but if those girls don't have patience I bet they will end up getting one from a breeder.