Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:58 PM

Bloody vomit

My shar-pei was really sick vomiting blood. I brought her to the emergency vet hosp and while I was holding her pure red blood pored out of her rectum. They did testing and everything was fine except her white blood cell count. It was 1 for every ten squares or something like that. Very very low. She was cold on her mouth and paws do to shock. In the end I had her put to sleep but I need to know or have an opinion on what it might have been, if I did the right thing. She was lethargic and dehydrated, still in critical condition for hours. Any ideas? The vet said it could have been leukemia but I am obsessing and wondering if I could have saved her.
Old January 4th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi Amy - So sorry for your loss.
In terms of solving this though. anything we suggest is likely speculation, as we are not vets here.
A low white blood cell count is indeed associated with leukemia in humans as well as dogs but only an autopsy can reveal the precise cause of death.

Please accept my deep condolences.

Sincerely - Marko
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

So sorry for your loss. As Marko said, only an autopsy could ultimately tell you exactly what happened to your dear pup. Try not to obsess over the cause of her passing, and know that you did what was right to put her out of her suffering. We must not second guess our actions when it comes to this, you have to trust your instincts. She will have passed knowing you were there and loving her to the end.